Bridging Visas?

Guest alimadge

Guest alimadge

Hi, I need some help!!!!

My husband is in NSW on a 457 temp employer sponsored visa, which expires on 30th June. My problem is that myself and son are still in uk and are planning on joining my husband when his exams finish, the problem is that his last exam is June 28th and we will not be there before the visa expires. My husbands employer has said that he will now sponser him permanently on an 856, but this means we all have to be in Australia on the day the visa is granted, my question is if my husband applies for the 856 and explains that we are not able to join him in Australia until July 7th will they still allow me to travel into Australia on my 457 visa even though it would have expired. I have read somewhere on the site that when you apply for a visa while in Australia on a substantive visa and it expires before the new visa is granted then you automatically are given a bridging visa until it is sorted. Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Hi Ali

No, you will not be able to travel to Australia on the 457 visa when it has expired. You could go on a visitor visa and then be added to the already lodged 856 application but you may be assessed as a non-genuine visitor on entry. Ideally, the company would apply for new 457 and 856 visa. This would then allow you to travel out there on a new 457 visa and also keep your husband on a substantive visa while the 856 is being processed. This gives him some security in case the 856 visa application goes pear-shaped.

Regards

Tony

Archived