Doctors' thread

Guest man2010

Guest chinlow

Hi everyone,

I'm new on PIO, thought I would say hello and thank you to all who have posted on this thread so far.. seems like I'm in a somewhat similar position as some of you.

GP locuming in London for the last 2+yrs and getting tired of the situation in the uk.. worked in Melbourne in the past and decided to look into relocating there (esp as fiance who is an engineer is keen to relocate due to poor job prospects here). I have so far contacted an agency but also have some friends in melb who have been of great help .. we are currently at the stage of telephone interviews in the next few days (done 1 so far)... looking into ballarat and mornington peninsular areas..

So we have a few questions for anyone who will be kind enough to reply:

1) for those who have had to go through the AHPRA, how long has it taken you? (we've been told 9+mths at present)

2) we have been advised a 457 visa too, are there any other visas appropriate for us? (like you, Emma, we have concerns about maternity leave and whether applying for PR status now would be more appropriate? Furthermore we have the added complication of spouse visas as we are currently planning for our wedding for Oct 2011 and will have to look into getting marriage cert beforehand if visa applications need to be started before Oct 2011.)

Think thats more than enough for now.. thanks and hope to hear your news, Man2010 and drneil!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I've had my last few doctors complete AHPRA within 6 weeks provided you have had your EICS verification done, If you are a FRCGP or MRCGP this will speed things up :)

2) Best bet would be to come in on a 457 visa as the tax benefits are well worth it, After 2 years applying for PR is much easier. Don't worry about a marriage cert, Your spouse can come in as a defacto and that process is really straight forward.

If you need any help or advice feel free to message me and i'll give you as much info as I can,

Guest Daniel and Emma

Thank you cbd, and I would be interested to hear what answers you get about the maternity leave at practice levels.

What tax benefits do you get by being on a 457 instead of being a permanent resident? Is it possible to be sponsored as a permanent resident?

Thanks again, and hello to chinlow!

Emma

Guest chinlow

Hello Emma and thank you cdb,

I would also be interested in finding out about tax benefits on the 457 visa. Would you also please elaborate on the process of getting PR status following the 457 visa.. it sounds like this can be done prior to the 2yr mark?

Thanks again!

Guest Daniel and Emma

Hi,

I have been doing some more reading and have contacted another recruitment company who have sent me some information. She advised that they recommend a 457 visa as it is quicker and that you can apply for a permanent residency once you arrive in Australia. I cant seem to find any information about how soon you can apply for this though once you are there, but there is an additional visa fee which is higher than if you apply from the UK.

She said to apply for a permanent visa directly means applying for medical registration first and then applying for the visa, which can take about 6-9 months, whichis longer than the 457. The ENS visa also specifys that the employment offer has to be at least 3 years, so Im not sure how that would work if you initially have a 457 visa, as these can be for shorter contracts!

I would still be grateful for any information about maternity leave on a 457 visa/permanent residency at practice level.

Does that information sound right to people, or have I understood it wrong? - it all seems very confusing!

Emma

Guest man2010
Hi,

I have been doing some more reading and have contacted another recruitment company who have sent me some information. She advised that they recommend a 457 visa as it is quicker and that you can apply for a permanent residency once you arrive in Australia. I cant seem to find any information about how soon you can apply for this though once you are there, but there is an additional visa fee which is higher than if you apply from the UK.

She said to apply for a permanent visa directly means applying for medical registration first and then applying for the visa, which can take about 6-9 months, whichis longer than the 457. The ENS visa also specifys that the employment offer has to be at least 3 years, so Im not sure how that would work if you initially have a 457 visa, as these can be for shorter contracts!

I would still be grateful for any information about maternity leave on a 457 visa/permanent residency at practice level.

Does that information sound right to people, or have I understood it wrong? - it all seems very confusing!

Emma

Hi Emma,

Your information is right. The choice of the visa type really depends on how soon you want to be in Australia. If you are planning ahead and have an employer willing to nominate a position for you as a sponsor, then take the PR route but if you wish to start soon then go with the 457.

shylet

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any experience of going from 457 to pr?

If you're a doctor this is the LAST thing you want to do, As soon as you get PR the 10 year moratorium kicks in and you have to work in the bush for 10 years.

If you're a doctor this is the LAST thing you want to do, As soon as you get PR the 10 year moratorium kicks in and you have to work in the bush for 10 years.

what do you do if you want to stay permanently then as the 457 is only for 5 years? Can you not stay working in the same place??

Theres been several cases with practices that i'm dealing with where they've had a UK doctor on board with a 457 number and the second they apply for PR their provider number gets revoked and they have to work in the bush. It is a stupid law and is really putting good quality doctors from other developed countries off the idea of coming to Australia.

Occassionally you can get exemption but as with everything here there is reams of paperwork none of which is logical or makes sense.

Have a look on DoctorConnect - Home page and look at the RRMA ratings on the map, As a non Australian doctor you will need RRMA3 and a DWS in order to work with PR,

Crazy, Stupid, Discriminatory, illogical and stupid but hey thats Australia :)

Your best bet would be to come over on a 457 and try and find work in one of the new poly clinics as medicare exemptions are easier to obtain due to the government wanting to prevent themselves looking silly by building all these new centres but having no doctors to work in them. You will then be able to work in a metropolitan area,

Its worth noting that the 10 year moratorium starts either when you first get registration in Australia or when you become a Permanent resident which ever is the latter.

Another good website for doctors is AustralianIMG.com The owner Dr Levy is a pommy doctor and is very involved with trying to get the Moratorium lifted, He also gives excellent advice and has published on his site several reviews of his locum experiences at various hospitals.

Hope this helps.

Theres been several cases with practices that i'm dealing with where they've had a UK doctor on board with a 457 number and the second they apply for PR their provider number gets revoked and they have to work in the bush. It is a stupid law and is really putting good quality doctors from other developed countries off the idea of coming to Australia.

Occassionally you can get exemption but as with everything here there is reams of paperwork none of which is logical or makes sense.

Have a look on DoctorConnect - Home page and look at the RRMA ratings on the map, As a non Australian doctor you will need RRMA3 and a DWS in order to work with PR,

Crazy, Stupid, Discriminatory, illogical and stupid but hey thats Australia :)

Your best bet would be to come over on a 457 and try and find work in one of the new poly clinics as medicare exemptions are easier to obtain due to the government wanting to prevent themselves looking silly by building all these new centres but having no doctors to work in them. You will then be able to work in a metropolitan area,

Its worth noting that the 10 year moratorium starts either when you first get registration in Australia or when you become a Permanent resident which ever is the latter.

Another good website for doctors is AustralianIMG.com The owner Dr Levy is a pommy doctor and is very involved with trying to get the Moratorium lifted, He also gives excellent advice and has published on his site several reviews of his locum experiences at various hospitals.

Hope this helps.

Hi there again, thanks for your help.

We have just arrived in the country on a 457. My husband has a contract for 3 years. We have 3 children who have all settled well into school so if we were to stay permanently in this country we would want to stay in the same area. Do you think that this will probably not be possible? I really want to be aware of all these things before we all get too settled and think that we would like to make it our permanent home only to find out that this would not be possible.

Emma

oh my goodness, so much info in this thread for a newcomer to follow!

i'm a paeds ICU doc, have got a job lined up for 2012 in Sydney.

Once my AMC stuff cmes through (fingers crossed) and I have to apply for a visa... does anyone have any advice about WHICH visa to apply for? Cos from the sounds of things, there are several to choose from. We're only planning to go for 1 year, then have to come back and finish trainng etc.

Thanks helpful people :biggrin:

Hi its my first post on this one - I'm a UK doctor (currently an FY1 in Critical Care) looking to move to Oz with my partner (a pharmacist) in August/September 2012.

Lots of GPs on here but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience of moving to Oz (on a long term - ideally permanent) basis after FY2? Ideally am looking to get onto a training program for A+E/Anaesthetics/ICU in the long term. How easy is it to get on a program as an IMG??

Looking at this moratorium thing - will that apply to me or, like chalkyhill asked, is it just for people who have already got their specialty training and are already working as GPs/Consultants ??

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest afichick15

Hi all,

I am currently working as an FY2 in the Uk. I am planning on going out to Australia with my boyfriend ( who is a teacher) in August/September 2011. Initially we were hoping to travel around and work in short term post (3 months or so) doing locum work. As far as I can tell, the working holiday visa seems like the most feasible option as the short term business visas require a sponsor. I was not planning on organising a job prior to going as we want to travel for a month or so first and don;t want to commit to a 6 month/ year long post. After the year (provided we both enjoy it) I will hopefully try and get a training post. Has anyone else done locum work on a working holiday visa??? As far as I can tell there are no stipulations against doing this but want to know if it would work in practice??#

Thanks

Katie

Hi Katie, With regards to locuming on a working holiday it might not be possible due to your first year of practice here requiring supervision and a fixed position. If you work here for a year and then decide to locum thats a possibility but doesn't fit in with your working holiday plan.

Have a look on DoctorConnect - Home page as its a pretty good site.

Hi all

I'm new to PIO and we are only just thinking about the move. We thought about it years ago but it went by the way side.

Does anyone know how the intensive care training is set up in Oz for drs?

OH does anaesthetics and icu in England. We are not sure if this is possible or if he would have to do just anaesthetics?

He is dual accredited and has the DICM.

Guest mandandsteve

Hello

I too am a GP keen to emigrate to Oz.

Has anyone used 'Locomotion', a recruitement agency who advertise in the BMJ/ Pulse magasine regularly?

Ideally I would like to 'live the dream' and find ajob around Brisbane/ Gold Coast. Am I being unrealistic in hoping for these areas?

Hello

I too am a GP keen to emigrate to Oz.

Has anyone used 'Locomotion', a recruitement agency who advertise in the BMJ/ Pulse magasine regularly?

Ideally I would like to 'live the dream' and find ajob around Brisbane/ Gold Coast. Am I being unrealistic in hoping for these areas?

I have a permanent GP opening in Caboolture QLD.

Guest mandandsteve
I have a permanent GP opening in Caboolture QLD.

Thank you CDB, that's good to know. May I ask, you say you are a GP, are you also involved in recruiting GPs from other countries? Are you part of an agency?

Mand (Amanda)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Daniel and Emma

Just a question for those who have moved/plan to move to Australia - how did you decide which agency to go with?

I have been emailing a few and now they are all asking for my CV and offering to arrange for me to visit practices when we visit Brisbane and the Gold Coast at Easter and i dont know which to stick with!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Emma

• 2 months later...
Guest johnandmichelleg

hi

i am new and half way through ish in my application.. god what a stressful pathway

so far ive got through AMC and last week i was awarded my FRACGP (yeah) so now i have applied to the APHRA and my sponsor has applied for nomination etc so i now can apply for e457 i think.

my new job will be in airlie beach. i have a husband and 2 children (aged 12) we love Oz have family in sydney and wanted better lifestyle, we have lived in sydney before but for me i wanted a job in a place completely different to the UK - hot tropical beaches and i love to sail so Whitsundays for me!

we went on a long holiday over xmas and new year up the coast from sydney to cairns to really see where we liked and arranged interviews through 2 diff agencies along the way.

i used medrecruit and IMR - my job is actually thru medrecruit and theyve been ok but as a GP its best doing the paperwork yourself.

best advice i had was dont go with loads of agencies as they bombard the same people with your CV. locumotion was actually very helpful when i emailed them and gave lots of advice.

good luck

anyone know how long it took them to get their visas through?

i signed my contract on 14 feb and sent AMC paperwork through 21st feb and its taken til last week to get my FRACGP!!

Hi Michelle

Congratulations on getting the FRACGP!

I'm also a GP, but am slightly behind you in the process. Official job offer on the 26th May (but verbally a couple of weeks before this), applied to the AMC on 27th May (recorded delivery, having spent over a week getting all the paperwork together, so worried about getting it wrong!), and only just had the email last Thursday to say that the AMC have received my application!! Looks like it took you about 3 1/2 months so I'm looking at middle of September, unless my Australian employer can speed up the process. (Which she's going to attempt to do)... This rather scarily means I'm going to have to resign from my partnership before I have any confirmation that I'm going, as my job on the Gold Coast starts in December, all being well.

My husband and I are emigrating for similar reasons to you. Lived and worked in Brisbane for a year back in 1999 (before the kids arrived!), and went back for a holiday in 2009. Felt at home there, and saw what a fantastic life the kids (8,3 and 5 months) could have, with great schools, outdoor pursuits, so many opportunities.

We spent a week in Airlie Beach back in 1999, absolutely beautiful! In fact, we fell in love with it so much, we named our house in the UK 'Whitehaven' as the beach there was unbelievably stunning. And what an amazing place to live if you sail.

From what I've read on other threads, getting the 457 can take only a few weeks.

When do you hope to start your new job? Is hubby a doc too? (Mine isnt'). Would love to hear back from you, by PM or thread, would be great to hear how you get on. Good Luck!

Archived