Importing a motorbike in bits.

Guest kev234

Guest kev234

Hiya, I know some of this has been covered in another thread but I specifically wanted to know if anybody has tried to import a motorcycle in bits.

I have an old 1978 Z650 that was my wifes pride and joy until it started to fall apart. To cut a long story short it is stripped to it's component parts but we would like to take it with us so it can be rebuilt in the sunshine:biggrin:

We have all the docs and many boxes of bits.

Cleaning it will not be a problem but I'm struggling to find a section with the information about importing it as a box of parts.

Any help much appreciated.

Kev

Guest Tom the Pom

Secondhand auto parts. Or scrap?

Either way it's not a problem - Getting registered can be done later.

Guest kev234

It's a mixture Tom. It's mostly there but is a long way short of being rideable so I guess you'd call it a pile of used parts.

Guest kev234

Agreed ,it is just parts. In which case can it just be put in the container? Or are there regs restricting the import of vehicle parts?

Cheers Tom,

That will make my good lady happy and means I'll have something to do when it gets there.

you might have problems getting it registered as the Vin number doesnt officially exist in Oz as it was never imported officuially as a fully built bike.

You might want to register on a forum down under that specialize in older bikes/rebuilds whatever, and ask them.

I'm sure they will have possibly imported replacement frames or whatever from abroad, and what the go is with the Vin number.

also, it might cost a fair bit to get it officially on the road as well, when rebuilt. Here in Vic you would probably need a VIV (vehicle inspection) about $500. possible compliance issues, and then of course Rego & insurance. all told it will be about $1400/$1500 before you can even take it out on the road.

Archived