Back to the UK after 5 months.

Guest rayman1

Hi there

There is north and south of the river in Perth. After living here for a month i would say that the best areas down South are Secret Harbour, Atwell, Success and Baldivis is an up and coming area with all new housing, shopping centre etc.

Mandurah is a very nice area as well to visit with Dolphin Quay etc. and the apartments there are megabucks to rent.

Up north you are talking about Mindarie, Joondalup, Hillarys and Connelly.

Butler and Quinns Rock further up North are a bit cheaper and Butler is known by the Ozzies as Little Britain because a lot of British settle there.

Wrong in butler esp Brighton there are more aussies than brits , most of the land is snapped up by aussie families buyin in , but been here a month , the apartments in Mandurah on hte river are not megabucks esp to buy , an acquaintance bought one in 2007 early 08 split up with wife had to sell (it was an investment ) lost 760k in the short space of time Dolphin key is the same as Sorrento quay (hillarys ) lnot as good but same almost clones . To the OP its a case of try before you buy everybodys tastes , budget and circumstances are different .As for travel the kwinana freeway is worse than the mitchell freeway I travel both on my way to work and the kwinana is usually jammed for the length tween bibra lake up to perth, wheras the mitchell ,ocean reef ,whitfords and karrynup Cedric street are the worst spots the rest not too bad , the kwinana is bad as for a major part it is two lanes

From the CBD there is a lot more traffic heading up north when people finish work at night and it can be horrendous, hence the advice given to us that if you live anywhere near the train station then park on the nearest train station car park and commute.

Hope this helps.

Debbie x

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rayman1
Hi,

We've been on the Gold Caost for almost two months now and have seen that it is more expensive than we had thought. We thought that overall there would be little difference in the cost of living, but medical costs (bulk billing for adults is difficult to find), after school activities for our daughter, rent, houses and even general shopping (especially soft drinks) makes the Gold Coast a really expensive place to live. On top of that the appalling exchange rate is putting me off of transferring money and it has done nothing but rain since we arrived here. My wife misses her family very much but we are holding out to see if things will get better as time goes by. Moving back to the UK isn't an option as the move to Oz cost so much and we also gained little from our house sale.

Still our stuff arrives soon and the customs people can charge us more money!

If money were no object things would be easier I suppose - where's my lottery ticket gone???

Hi Biffo.

Expense was the main reason that we are going back (and because some of us are not really wanting to give our life up in the UK). We are fortunate that, although we had alot less money to bring over we still have enough to put down on a house in the uk and get a lowish mortgage and the kids have got straight back into their old school.

Not been easy over here but didn't know what to expect. With 50% plus of wages on mortgage, bills, cars, school fees, food we would have no money left at the end of the week. I lost my job, daughter has experienced bullying at school, being ripped off my rental agent, it isn't the dream we thought. If we could not have got back up and running in the UK we may have stuck it out longer but why wait if so unhappy. Wife isn't to pleased with me because of all upheaval and cost but she wants what is best for the family and my health.

All the best Biffo and hope it all works out for you one way or the other. At least it has been an experience for us hasn't it!!!

Hi Biffo.

Expense was the main reason that we are going back (and because some of us are not really wanting to give our life up in the UK). We are fortunate that, although we had alot less money to bring over we still have enough to put down on a house in the uk and get a lowish mortgage and the kids have got straight back into their old school.

Not been easy over here but didn't know what to expect. With 50% plus of wages on mortgage, bills, cars, school fees, food we would have no money left at the end of the week.

So after you have shelled out on all the above you have half of your wages left , and you have nowt left , NOT TOO BAD 50% of your income spare every week think a few woulld like to be in your boat mate

I lost my job, daughter has experienced bullying at school, being ripped off my rental agent, it isn't the dream we thought. If we could not have got back up and running in the UK we may have stuck it out longer but why wait if so unhappy. Wife isn't to pleased with me because of all upheaval and cost but she wants what is best for the family and my health.

All the best Biffo and hope it all works out for you one way or the other. At least it has been an experience for us hasn't it

Guest rayman1
Hi Biffo.

Not been easy over here but didn't know what to expect. With 50% plus of wages on mortgage, bills, cars, school fees, food we would have no money left at the end of the week.

So after you have shelled out on all the above you have half of your wages left , and you have nowt left , NOT TOO BAD 50% of your income spare every week think a few woulld like to be in your boat mate

Mis type on my part. 50% - 60% of wages on mortgage THEN bills, cars, school fees, food etc we would have no money left at end of the week.

Guest guest30038
With 50% plus of wages on mortgage, bills, cars, school fees, food we would have no money left at the end of the week.

Bloody hell! some folk would give their right arm to have 50% left over after after mortgage and bills! There was a time when we had only 20% after paying mortgage, still with bills to pay, with two kids to feed and yet still manged to get to where we are (mortgage free) within 15 yrs.

kev

Guest John Locke

to be fair, rayman1 did correct himself

Mis type on my part. 50% - 60% of wages on mortgage THEN bills, cars, school fees, food etc we would have no money left at end of the week.

Guest guest30038
to be fair, rayman1 did correct himself

I just noticed, but like I said, at one stage we were paying all bills and feeding ourselves on 20%............and that was 20% of one wage.

We thought at the time of how our standard of living had dropped and what a struggle it was, and then we thought that it had been no different when we first got married and broke into the housing market in the UK. We had climbed a way up the ladder, only to come back down in our goal to settle in Oz..was it all really worth it? In the end, we thought that we had done it once, so we could do it again.

As I said before, and what has been illustrated on PIO a number of times, some folk see to focus (IMHO) on what they've got/lost, and not on what they can gain. They see financial struggle as a worthless burden and not as a challenge with an achievable goal.

kev

Guest John Locke
I just noticed, but like I said, at one stage we were paying all bills and feeding ourselves on 20%............and that was 20% of one wage.

We thought at the time of how our standard of living had dropped and what a struggle it was, and then we thought that it had been no different when we first got married and broke into the housing market in the UK. We had climbed a way up the ladder, only to come back down in our goal to settle in Oz..was it all really worth it? In the end, we thought that we had done it once, so we could do it again.

As I said before, and what has been illustrated on PIO a number of times, some folk see to focus (IMHO) on what they've got/lost, and not on what they can gain. They see financial struggle as a worthless burden and not as a challenge with an achievable goal.

kev

Yeah, I agree, and funny really how what you`ve written now applies to myself in the U.K. in that we left a fairly secure, mortgage free lifestyle in Oz to start all over again.

Guest rayman1

kev

You may be right I seem to be focusing on the financial struggle but I feel that the struggle would be less in the UK and if I am struggle would prefer to be in familiar surroundings with the feeling of belonging than over here. We could rent for a few years but who would then give a 30 year mortgage to someone who is nearly 50? May have been alot different if we had came over when alot younger and more money behind us but cant turn the clock back, just try and make the best of what is in front of you.

We have found that we work just as hard here as in uk (we do earn decent wages as we did in UK) and we need to earn the wages as much as we did in UK - instead of paying a high mortgage we pay high education fees. No student loans for university so all in I am paying just under $40k net on education! Three kids plus me. Fortunately for us exchange rate has been kind so we can return to Uk better off - have money to one side in case we are unsuccessful with fight against international fees and still have the same kind of lifestyle we had in UK and have here. The key issue for us is that we thought life would be easier here (less work pressure) and financially it's not so the benefits of moving here then diminish along with the other factors of homesickness, family etc... Work choices are limited here so if you're earning decent money even though it's not the work/career you want you have to stick with it - despite the GFC far more choice for us ( not everyone I know) in UK.

Don't mean to throw a spanner in the works but my husband was a month shy of his 51st birthday when we emigrated. Came with next to nothing having been "cleaned out" by divorce. He had a job to come to which was the "new start" he needed and the wonderful company paid his first 6 months pay up front to help us get established.

Applied for a 30 year mortgage and was mortgage free within 15 years due to all the great mortgage reduction schemes that Australia has. I know bank rules may have changed a little due to GFC but it is still possible to off loans quicker. We also now have an investment property, a new car, my husband is retired and I have a job I really enjoy and a wonderful lifestyle to go with it.

Going back for us has never been an issue. I guess we are lucky that we are both "in love" with Australia, particlulary Adelaide.

Have you thought of trying another part of Australia first? Everywhere is so different but I know for families, Adelaide in particluar is much cheaper to live, very family friendly - there is so much to do here that is free and it's probably the most "English" of all the Australian capital cities.

Good luck with whatever you do.

reading your thread made me feel really sad for you,nnow just how you feel,but believe i needed to get back to the UK after nine months of tears ,left my husband here while I tried to sort myself out, my life like yours was just brill in the UK, so many familiar faces and chats,stayed there for several months before returning to Australia

Now love Australia so much,will never loose the fact that my life was good before but my feelings are that Australia has for me to be the best place in the world

how about going to see and get the feel for Melbourne before make a decision,rent a place there for six months,see how you go

wishing you happy times

regards Lynda

Guest guest30038
Yeah, I agree, and funny really how what you`ve written now applies to myself in the U.K. in that we left a fairly secure, mortgage free lifestyle in Oz to start all over again.

And good luck to you John. I did it once when i came here and I don't think that I could do it again. (especially at age 61) :rolleyes: My hat's off to all those who do.

kev

Guest guest30038
Adelaide in particluar is much cheaper to live, very family friendly - there is so much to do here that is free and it's probably the most "English" of all the Australian capital cities.

More reason to steer clear, I say :biglaugh:

Only joking :wink:

Yes, you're right about the mortgage schemes. When we left the UK, the penalties for paying off early were prohibitive (Abbey National). The ability to make weekly payments and have your wages paid into an offset saves thousands, if not hundreds of thousands if you make extra payments also.

Paying off early has now given my wife (at age 49) the opportunity to drop a day's work a fortnight and once the kids leave private school in 3 yrs time, we envisage her only having to work a 7 day fortnight. we'd drop a few bob, but we came here for the lifestyle and if you can't enjoy it, what's the point of the money?

kev

Guest rayman1

I have read with interest all that everyone has said and thank you for that. The offset is good if you have money in to start with, Adelaide is cheaper but visited and didn't get the feel for the place (but then again Brisbane hasn't been to rosy has it LOL).

Flights booked now, furniture sorted to go back and will be home end of March.

Come to the conclusion that emigrating is for some people and not for others. Unfortunatley wasn't for me and my daughter. Son admitted would love to go back to old friends and school which was better. Wife abit cheesed off but said she was happy anyway in the UK and will have no problem with going back.

Australia is a wonderful country but not if you struggle to live as if anywhere in the world.

Hi rayman

Sorry you didn't get the "feel" for Adelaide when you visited. It takes a while to find you're way around, I suppose.

There is an old saying here though, which I must admit I agree with. "Queensland is a fantastic holiday destination but wouldn't want to live there. SA would not be at the top of your holiday list - but it is a great place to live."

At least you've given it your best shot and no-one can take away the experience.

Best of luck, Kazza

Guest rayman1

Hi everyone.

This was reality for us.

Buying a nice place with swimming pool (live the dream) $800 per week.

Bills $200-250 per week.

School fees $250 per week.

Petrol $80.

Food $250 family of 4.

Earnt $1600 a week so you can see not much left.

Could rent for couple of years but house prices rising, mortgage rates maybe not so low, not saving for any more despoit for house and rent is still very high.

Could have gone for a lot cheaper mortgage(that was based on $450000) but not what we came for. Expectations too low. Start at the bottom and work up but feel too old for that.

And to cap it all just lost my job so only $800 per week coming in.

Hi everyone.

This was reality for us.

Buying a nice place with swimming pool (live the dream) $800 per week.

Bills $200-250 per week.

School fees $250 per week.

Petrol $80.

Food $250 family of 4.

Earnt $1600 a week so you can see not much left.

Could rent for couple of years but house prices rising, mortgage rates maybe not so low, not saving for any more despoit for house and rent is still very high.

Could have gone for a lot cheaper mortgage(that was based on $450000) but not what we came for. Expectations too low. Start at the bottom and work up but feel too old for that.

And to cap it all just lost my job so only $800 per week coming in.

$1000 a month for bills? Is this right? Anyway, you must let us all know how you get on with arriving back in the UK, Good luck!. I am hopefully hot on your heels.

Sounds like you must have had a not bad job to start with, sorry you lost it. Would you have stayed if you were still there?? What did you end up doing after that? $800 is what i was on working in an factory, I wouldn't have hung around there for long either I can tell you that.

Guest bradleys

My husband and I have just decided to emigrate to oz and are at the start of our roller coaster ride! It is actually nice to read some of the negative stories as I have been looking at it through rose tinted glasses! I will certainly be weighing up all the positive things and negative things from the UK and question whether or not we could live without the positives! our eldest daughter is 6 and I worry about how this will affect her leaving everything that she knows and loves! I wish every one that is returning lots of luck and happiness and a big thank you for sharing your stories. Steph xx

Guest rayman1
$1000 a month for bills? Is this right? Anyway, you must let us all know how you get on with arriving back in the UK, Good luck!. I am hopefully hot on your heels.

Sounds like you must have had a not bad job to start with, sorry you lost it. Would you have stayed if you were still there?? What did you end up doing after that? $800 is what i was on working in an factory, I wouldn't have hung around there for long either I can tell you that.

With bills I mean everything you have to pay, Rates, health cover, electric, phones, car expenses etc. Everything you have to pay but wouldn't want to!!!

Lost my job but by then had nearly decided to go back. Could have started looking again but wife said for my health lets get back to the UK before it is too late.

Flights booked for end of March. Staying with mum in law and then looking into renting near kids old school they are back in. Lucky for us we have enough money at mo to put a big despoit on house (because houses are still cheap in SY) then job hunting. Alittle scared about that but fingers crossed.

Anyone who is wanting to come to Australia come. I feel that if I had not I would have been wondering forever. I now know it wasn't for me and I hope we are all happy back in the UK. It certainly has been a funny 5 months.

Well our bills are not far off that about $950 a month and we do not have private health cover. That includes gas, electric, phone, rates, water, house and car insurance and rego on 2 cars.....We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 small kids. Plus then we have to pay food and petrol on top of that....but in saying that I have talked to a few friends back in the UK and there bills each month are quite hefty so I dont think we are any worse off than we would be in the UK apart from our Mortgage will probably be lower in the Uk because of the interest rates....well I hope it they will be :biggrin:

Well our bills are not far off that about $950 a month and we do not have private health cover. That includes gas, electric, phone, rates, water, house and car insurance and rego on 2 cars.....We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 small kids. Plus then we have to pay food and petrol on top of that....but in saying that I have talked to a few friends back in the UK and there bills each month are quite hefty so I dont think we are any worse off than we would be in the UK apart from our Mortgage will probably be lower in the Uk because of the interest rates....well I hope it they will be :biggrin:

Another perspective on costs for family of 5 with older children.

Mortgage $1200 per month ( put $500K down)

School fees $1000 per month

Uni Fees ( no student loans if you're PR) $2000 per month (3 of us are studying me part time)

Electricity $250 per month

Food $1600 - $2000 per month

Phone and broadband $200 per month

Mobiles $150

Rates $200

Cars $600

Not much change out of $7/$8k per month which is classed as a high income on Sunshine Coast. So will be swapping high education costs for high mortgage I guess and hopefully lower food bills and cheaper holiday options. ( If I can swing those dreaded international uni fees!)

Another perspective on costs for family of 5 with older children.

Mortgage $1200 per month ( put $500K down)

School fees $1000 per month

Uni Fees ( no student loans if you're PR) $2000 per month (3 of us are studying me part time)

Electricity $250 per month

Food $1600 - $2000 per month

Phone and broadband $200 per month

Mobiles $150

Rates $200

Cars $600

Not much change out of $7/$8k per month which is classed as a high income on Sunshine Coast. So will be swapping high education costs for high mortgage I guess and hopefully lower food bills and cheaper holiday options. ( If I can swing those dreaded international uni fees!)

Whoops I forgot mobile phones...there is another $60 a month so yes our bills are $1000 per month our food bill is about $200 a week which includes nappies etc but I do shop around and always buy things on special...need to make some savings somewhere...:jiggy:

Edited to add I also pay childcare fees for 2 children 2 days a week $213 (per week) although it is nice to get a cheque from the government every 3 months for $1200 which is 50% of my childcare costs paid back

Archived