Back to the UK after 5 months.

Guest rayman1

Did reccie and activated visa April 2008 but anticipated bringing ALOT more money over than we did!!! Could move but kids education is paramount and do not think that would be a good idea now. I honestly do not think it is for me and can not see it being a brighter future for my family, only different. Good luck for all them who do stay and have a happy life but I'm sure millions of people are living in the UK very happy. I for one was one of them!!!

Hi Rayman know exactly how you feel!

Well 3 days left here in Australia, packing in earnest now, been here 6 years lived in various places, been in limbo for years, been back to the UK twice and loved it, feeling very comfortable about our decision to move home as home is where the heart is and theres no escaping it. Bring on family, history, culture, countryside, pubs, seasons, Europe, friends, humour, reality, old buildings, grey skys, immigrants, driving, fish and chips, choice and so much more that makes life very interesting. For me lifes to short to waste it in a place your not happy, and believe me we have tried to be happy here in OZ but disliked most things here for too long. Good luck to all.:biggrin:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tracyinsydney

We have also only been here about 5 months and are going back to the UK in 6 days. I also phoned my sons old school and they were happy for him to go back even though there's a waiting list for kids to get in. He starts back after Easter and couldn't be happier. Hopefully as he's only in year 7 it won't have done his education too much harm. It was well worth the phone call.

Guest rayman1
We have also only been here about 5 months and are going back to the UK in 6 days. I also phoned my sons old school and they were happy for him to go back even though there's a waiting list for kids to get in. He starts back after Easter and couldn't be happier. Hopefully as he's only in year 7 it won't have done his education too much harm. It was well worth the phone call.

Our headmaster worked for 2 days to get the kids back in school and we will be thankful for along time for all the work he did. It hasn't all been bad but 5 months is long enough for me to realize what you do really have in the UK. I just hope we get back on our feet without too much drama. I think it has been worth it to experience what you do have and I hope I can help others in the same situation as us. Over the next couple of months I will be writing to update.

Hope you and your family get back in the swing of things in no time and all the best. I know EXACTLY how you feel and the emotions of only being here a short time and want to go back knowing it isn't for you.

Thanks Paul

As I said, I know shouldn't do it and I have in fact met lots of 'real people' who I consider to be very good friends. Maybe you should take your own advice. Sorry to bite back but not feeling too good today.

The only reason I have one in front of me is I'm at work. So It's a part of the job. I didn't mean to be rude but we had my Sister and family (who I love dearly) here at Christmas and they were forever on the computer seeing what was going on back in Melton Mowbray and the Nieces were forever checking up on what their friends were doing. They didn't even switch off their mobiles at night.

When we went on holiday not that many years ago the last thing we wanted to do was see what people were doing back at home. People have lost the ability to relax and enjoy their surroundings without wondering if anyone has sent them an SMS or something. I guess it's a generation thing as my Son never has his mobile off either.

Are you back in the UK now? I see your location was Bromley.

Have you tried Perth?

All the best,

Paul.

Guest Mr Happy

I couldn't live in Brisbane, I totally understand why you couldn't. Why didn't you try somewhere more temperate?

So sorry to hear that it hasnt worked out for you - and I sincerely hope that things fall into place when you land in SY. At least you will be here (I am here on holiday at the moment - awesome!) for spring, the flowers will be out and everything will get its colour returning and soon it will be greeeeeeen and fresh.

So glad that you have managed to rescue the kids' education - that must be a huge relief for you.

Hello. I am new to the forum but would like to share my experience with everyone warts and all.

After 2 years of waiting to come to Brisbane we finally arrived in Nov.We left a great life in the UK, jobs, family, friends, etc hoping Oz would offer so much more. The wife did show concerns; massive hit on our house so sold for alot less, raising mortgage and house prices in Brisbane and were we too old for the move (both in our 40's). 2 teenage children that we wondered if they will settle but we (especially me) went with the flow saying it will be ok.

5 months on it isn't for me or my daughter. I have been struggling for weeks with the change and know in my heart I got more wrapped up in the adventure of coming over than the reality. Im not a hot weather lover or beach person (why come to Australia, you may ask. I really don't know!!). We came over with little money due to circumstances and now are in a position of not having enough money even to put down on a nice house, never mind affording the mortgage payment that would take 50% plus of our income a week. We have never had this issue and is affecting me greatly.

My wife likes it here and son does but if we are struggling what life is that!! For the sake of my mental health and general wellbeing we have decided to return. If we go back soon the kids can get back in their school and not interfere too much with my sons GCSE's. Job wise we will have to start looking again but fingers crossed. The houses are still low in South Yorkshire so can get on the property ladder ok. We still have some money over in the UK because we dare not bring it over because of the poor exchange rates.

I am not knocking Australia. It is a lovely country with lower crime and better weather (if you like sun). Would it be better for my children, I don't know. My son was doing really well in the UK and we did not have a bad life. The education here doesn't seem better and asking around the uni's are not as good as the UK.

3 things I would recommend for people who are thinking of emigrating;

1. Bring alot of money. Brisbane is soo expensive and house/rental is going through the roof.

2. Come when you are young and so are your kids.

3. If you are happy with life where you are, stick to it. Don't try and mend something that is not broken.

I know 5 months is not long but we need to go back soon to get our lifes back on track and not mess the kids education up. This experience has taught me how much I do love my wife, my family and happiness for us was right there in front of us, not at the other side of the world.

Hi,

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you. Your story sounds just like ours. We arrived in Perth Aug 08 and went back to Ireland April 09. We are now heading back to Perth in 5 weeks! We felt the same way you feel now and couldn't wait to get "home" but having been back nearly a year we realise that the country we left in 08 is completely different to the country it is now. The recession has hit Ireland in a bad way, so we have decided that we will go back and get citizenship for our kids. I think coming back here has made us realise how good we had it in Australia and want to give it another try. Best of luck to you and your family. Take care.

Dor

Guest rayman1
Hi,

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you. Your story sounds just like ours. We arrived in Perth Aug 08 and went back to Ireland April 09. We are now heading back to Perth in 5 weeks! We felt the same way you feel now and couldn't wait to get "home" but having been back nearly a year we realise that the country we left in 08 is completely different to the country it is now. The recession has hit Ireland in a bad way, so we have decided that we will go back and get citizenship for our kids. I think coming back here has made us realise how good we had it in Australia and want to give it another try. Best of luck to you and your family. Take care.

Dor

Trouble is we haven't had it good over here. Rubbish rental, realised how expensive things are, missing UK, daughter and I haven't settled, me lossing job, little money, not a great start. Would like to get back to where I belong. Only my opinion so not commenting on other peoples decisions.

Hi,

We've been in Sydney 6 months now, & think that Australia is a great place (we've also visited Tassie, Melbourne & Cairns), but I've been struggling to get a job. The GFC as they like to call has really affected the job market but for some reason nobody is acknowledging it. I've applied for loads of jobs that I've been overqualified & overexperienced for & not even been given an interview. My maternity leave is due to finish in April & I can go back to my job that I really enjoyed in Bristol. I did fly down to Melbourne yesterday for an interview for a job that was the closest match to the work that I did back home, but before I got the invite we had almost decided to go back!!!

I love the weather here, I love living beside Centennial park & going to the beach once in a while & can see that the lifestyle here would be great for us, BUT it is SO expensive, & part of me feels I'd rather live in London at the same price than here. We have an 11 month old baby & I can see how much her grandparents are missing out on her growing up, we also had a good life before we came but struggled with getting time to ourselves & the constant rain!! & the negativity that alot of people have. Being out here at Christmas was great as we didn't have to travel around the country to see people & be made to feel guilty for who we didn't see!!

People are really friendly here which is great, but I'l fed up with people just telling me to try & get a different job, I worked really hard for my career back home & would like to change it when I'm ready!!! Is it that there is still something around women & their careers not being valid? - I don't know.

Anyway, we're stuck, if I wasn't to be offered th job then the easy option would be to go back, although we know that we could easily come back here in the future, maybe when our little girl is a bit older & we've saved alot more money. If I was to be offered the job then we could give it another year, but would this be time & money wasted? Time to make a very long list of +s & -s!!!

Good luck, it's a brave decision to go back & I do think that you'll know you did the right thing by coming as you don't then have to keep on talking about the possibility of moving to Oz & can concentrate on getting on with your lives.

Guest sophi
Trouble is we haven't had it good over here. Rubbish rental, realised how expensive things are, missing UK, daughter and I haven't settled, me lossing job, little money, not a great start. Would like to get back to where I belong. Only my opinion so not commenting on other peoples decisions.

I totally agree with you rayman,We also haven't had it good. and are putting it down to one BIG MISTAKE and an expensive one at that!:cry:

I totally agree with you rayman,We also haven't had it good. and are putting it down to one BIG MISTAKE and an expensive one at that!:cry:

Agree with that. At least my outgoings here have been minimal with family support. Problem is I now just feel like a charity case. I have survived for 8 months on about $4000. I know alot of people will be in a much worse situation if paying $350 odd/ week in rent alone.

Guest rayman1

Rent for a decent place is $500-600 in Brisbane and the mortgage we were quoted (but not recommended to take) on a $450000 over 30 years was $3000 a month at 7%. To get a affordable mortgage the housing would be nothing like we imagined. Being both in our 40's people have told us to start small and work up but time is against us. We do feel happier now that we have made the decision to return and will have to put it down to a very expensive life experience. The wife is still alittle disappointed but said the happiness and health of her family is more important. My son who did want to stay did say that he is looking forwards to being back with his large group of friends back in the UK.

If anyone wants to PM me I can tell you about the emotions feelings of emigrating and the HIGH costs of Brisbane.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Rent for a decent place is $500-600 in Brisbane and the mortgage we were quoted (but not recommended to take) on a $450000 over 30 years was $3000 a month at 7%. To get a affordable mortgage the housing would be nothing like we imagined. Being both in our 40's people have told us to start small and work up but time is against us. We do feel happier now that we have made the decision to return and will have to put it down to a very expensive life experience. The wife is still alittle disappointed but said the happiness and health of her family is more important. My son who did want to stay did say that he is looking forwards to being back with his large group of friends back in the UK.

If anyone wants to PM me I can tell you about the emotions feelings of emigrating and the HIGH costs of Brisbane.

We live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane HAVE A DECENT RENTAL (4X2) and pay nothing like $500-$600. Brisbane is not expensive to live in...........do your shopping wisely and not all at one supermarket and we live much cheaper than we did in the UK, and eat much more steaks etc. Also have less bills to pay with not having to pay for gas or tv licences etc. I suppose it all comes down to what you expected once you arrived here. We expected to still have to work for what we want out of life and so have had no dissapointments at all. We are very happy here and have no intentions of returning to the UK.............so its not all doom and gloom.

Yvonne & Andy

Guest rayman1

I am glad you enjoy it Andy and all the best to you. We chose the south and it is expensive here. Have you looked into buying yet. We unfortunately came over with little money so would scrap together a desposit but with the mortgage being so much would definitley have less financially than the UK. We have found bills etc similar to the UK (petrol alot cheaper) but ultimely I feel it was not for us. I personally do not think the schooling is better than the UK (UK uni's are second to none)! and when the adventure of visiting queenslands wears off thing that life would not be better for us here. I know I had a good life in the UK and chased the dream of sunshine, big open spaces etc but it is what is in your heart that counts. How long have you been here?

If our circumstances had been different we may have stayed but all the best to those who love it here and call Australia for the rest of their lifes.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I am glad you enjoy it Andy and all the best to you. We chose the south and it is expensive here. Have you looked into buying yet. We unfortunately came over with little money so would scrap together a desposit but with the mortgage being so much would definitley have less financially than the UK. We have found bills etc similar to the UK (petrol alot cheaper) but ultimely I feel it was not for us. I personally do not think the schooling is better than the UK (UK uni's are second to none)! and when the adventure of visiting queenslands wears off thing that life would not be better for us here. I know I had a good life in the UK and chased the dream of sunshine, big open spaces etc but it is what is in your heart that counts. How long have you been here?

If our circumstances had been different we may have stayed but all the best to those who love it here and call Australia for the rest of their lifes.

Its Yvonne by the way, Andy at work and im on a late today, so yep we are both working (managed to find jobs both of us within a couple of months of landing, which to say there is no jobs about according to some people on here is outstanding I think :wink:) and we both work with Aussies and we get on brill with them.

We have been here 12 months now and loving every minute of it and niether of us would consider ever going back to the UK. Yep we did have good jobs etc over there but our quality of life over here is so much more than we had in the UK, not sat in watching the box at night time because it was too cold and miserable to go out, or just go and sit in a pub everynight, more to life for us than sitting in pubs im afraid.

The only bills you pay in a rental are electric and phone, (unless you have gas and CHOOSE to have Foxtell etc) so our bills are much cheaper here than UK. Also I dont understand how people can compare prices with the UK, when you are living here and earning $$'s the exchange rate is all irrelivant anyway, unless you go back to UK for a holiday.

Yes we have looked at buying our own place and will do in another 12 months or so (we not in any rush to buy) and we know we will get alot more for our money here than we would do where we came from.

We came over with little money too, we had a scrap of a car that cost us $600 when we got here, sold it for $500 9 months later and now have a brand new one, so yes it can be done on little money too. You dont have to have everything all at once.

Absolutly loving living in Australia

Yvonne & Andy

Guest Guest37175
We live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane HAVE A DECENT RENTAL (4X2) and pay nothing like $500-$600. Brisbane is not expensive to live in...........do your shopping wisely and not all at one supermarket and we live much cheaper than we did in the UK, and eat much more steaks etc. Also have less bills to pay with not having to pay for gas or tv licences etc. I suppose it all comes down to what you expected once you arrived here. We expected to still have to work for what we want out of life and so have had no dissapointments at all. We are very happy here and have no intentions of returning to the UK.............so its not all doom and gloom.

Yvonne & Andy

I think the key word here is 'expectations.' Many people come with the expectation that life here will be substantially cheaper than in rip-off UK but the reality is that things pretty much even themselves out across a calender month in times of family expenditure. If you come to Oz thinking that a little cash will go a long way here then you're in for a nasty shock.

I can understand the disapointment though. For many years Oz was substantially cheaper than the UK, and that, along with the fact that we're used to being ripped off in the UK, has meant a lot of us came over thinking we'd be comfortable.

Guest rayman1
Its Yvonne by the way, Andy at work and im on a late today, so yep we are both working (managed to find jobs both of us within a couple of months of landing, which to say there is no jobs about according to some people on here is outstanding I think :wink:) and we both work with Aussies and we get on brill with them.

We have been here 12 months now and loving every minute of it and niether of us would consider ever going back to the UK. Yep we did have good jobs etc over there but our quality of life over here is so much more than we had in the UK, not sat in watching the box at night time because it was too cold and miserable to go out, or just go and sit in a pub everynight, more to life for us than sitting in pubs im afraid.

The only bills you pay in a rental are electric and phone, (unless you have gas and CHOOSE to have Foxtell etc) so our bills are much cheaper here than UK. Also I dont understand how people can compare prices with the UK, when you are living here and earning $$'s the exchange rate is all irrelivant anyway, unless you go back to UK for a holiday.

Yes we have looked at buying our own place and will do in another 12 months or so (we not in any rush to buy) and we know we will get alot more for our money here than we would do where we came from.

We came over with little money too, we had a scrap of a car that cost us $600 when we got here, sold it for $500 9 months later and now have a brand new one, so yes it can be done on little money too. You dont have to have everything all at once.

Yvonne & Andy[/quote

Hello Yvonne. Im so glad it is working for you and all the best. I see you do not mention children so things can be alot cheaper without them draining the resources, especially teenagers LOL.

When you do buy your own place bills will go up with rates, house insurance etc but it was the expectation that things would be more affordable that has hit me. Brisbane is becoming the fastest growing city so house prices and rates etc are rocketing. If we did rent for a couple more years than what would be the prices then.

We found jobs quite easily so am not complaining about that. Although I lost mind last week I have no doubt that another one is around the corner it is just not for me.

We too had a great family life in the UK. Camping, snowboarding, flyball, daughter had a pony, days and evenings spent with family and friends and our life not revolving around TV or pubs. But funnily enough we did enjoy watching certains series on the TV.

Life is where you make it. You can have a great life in whichever place you choose. But the thought of finanically struggling with 2 children would not be a quality of life I would want and although people say that the UK is expensive, I personally didn't find it more so than queensland and the mortgages (at 3.5%) are certainly more affordable.

We are fortunate enough to get our old life back someway without too much drama and can class this down to an experience.

All the best and be happy.

Guest AndyandYvonneD

Yvonne & Andy[/quote

Hello Yvonne. Im so glad it is working for you and all the best. I see you do not mention children so things can be alot cheaper without them draining the resources, especially teenagers LOL.

When you do buy your own place bills will go up with rates, house insurance etc but it was the expectation that things would be more affordable that has hit me. Brisbane is becoming the fastest growing city so house prices and rates etc are rocketing. If we did rent for a couple more years than what would be the prices then.

We found jobs quite easily so am not complaining about that. Although I lost mind last week I have no doubt that another one is around the corner it is just not for me.

We too had a great family life in the UK. Camping, snowboarding, flyball, daughter had a pony, days and evenings spent with family and friends and our life not revolving around TV or pubs. But funnily enough we did enjoy watching certains series on the TV.

Life is where you make it. You can have a great life in whichever place you choose. But the thought of finanically struggling with 2 children would not be a quality of life I would want and although people say that the UK is expensive, I personally didn't find it more so than queensland and the mortgages (at 3.5%) are certainly more affordable.

We are fortunate enough to get our old life back someway without too much drama and can class this down to an experience.

Hi, Yes I do have two children one 18 and the other 14, they are both in the UK with their dad at the moment, the 18 year old is at uni there and my 14 year old is wanting to finish high school before he moves over here permanently, they both have been and validated their visas which is good. I send money home to them and my 14 year old is coming over in June till the end of August so I pay for their flights etc, so they do cost me dear but worth every penny as I can see :jiggy:(Cant wait for him to get here now)

All the best to you and your family

Yvonne

Guest rayman1

It will be great to see your kids. It must be so hard being away from them but June will soon be here. As you can see everyones circumstances are different. So make it and love it, some stay and regret it forever, some go back and regret it and some go back poorer but wisher LOL. Whatever people decide out of life, I hope it doesn't get them down like it did me and be happy for the sake of your family and your own sanity. Sometimes happiness is next to you, staring you in the face, not on some faraway dream.

Yvonne & Andy[/quote

We fly back to the Uk in 48 hours after 6 years, we lived in Brisbane for 1.5 years and now live in Melbourne, I can safely say that Australia is now becoming expensive in relation to Real Estate, Renting and all utillities have gradually increased over the time we have lived here, Food in particular is expensive as is alcohol and clothing. I think the first 12 months of living here was like a holiday, it takes years to get used to living here and for many including us its not what we want now. Good luck to all going home and those making a life for themselves here.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
It will be great to see your kids. It must be so hard being away from them but June will soon be here. As you can see everyones circumstances are different. So make it and love it, some stay and regret it forever, some go back and regret it and some go back poorer but wisher LOL. Whatever people decide out of life, I hope it doesn't get them down like it did me and be happy for the sake of your family and your own sanity. Sometimes happiness is next to you, staring you in the face, not on some faraway dream.

It is hard being away from them, but I know they are with their dad and how many kids in the UK have the choice of where they want to live as in UK or Australia, which is what they have and always will have at the end of the day,its a great opportunity for them both. Also skype is great for them to ask me for money etc like kids do :wink:

I really hope you will be happy back in the UK.

Yvonne

Guest chris955

Isn't that a contradiction ?

Really the only bill you wouldn't have here is the TV license.

Brisbane has become a pretty expensive place in the last 4 or 5 years there is no doubt about that.

I really like living in Brisbane and it is probably the only place I would live here having grown up in Victoria, having said that it isn't where I want to live.

I'm always happy to hear that others love it here but as with anywhere it isn't for everyone.

so our bills are much cheaper here than UK. Also I dont understand how people can compare prices with the UK, when you are living here and earning $$'s the exchange rate is all irrelivant anyway, unless you go back to UK for a holiday.

Yvonne & Andy

Archived