need advice for continuing hospitality or not

savedbytheson

hi, i have finished my graphic design degree back then in my country and currently studying advanced diploma of hospitality in australia. i am about to finish my cert 3 (should be in 26th march actually), but since the government are changing lots of things i am thinking to change my course. my 2nd year (diploma of hospitality) will start in april, but i am still wondering whether i should continue or not, or maybe change course to a 'safer one for PR' (such as graphic pre-press or accounting?). i chose hospitality because it is not as expensive as undergraduate or master program..

any suggestions? are there any other way to get the PR besides business visa & spouse visa?

currently i am in sydney with my wife (she's on student dependent visa), both of us are 20s, any other way to help us to settle in australia?

thanks

hi, i have finished my graphic design degree back then in my country and currently studying advanced diploma of hospitality in australia. i am about to finish my cert 3 (should be in 26th march actually), but since the government are changing lots of things i am thinking to change my course. my 2nd year (diploma of hospitality) will start in april, but i am still wondering whether i should continue or not, or maybe change course to a 'safer one for PR' (such as graphic pre-press or accounting?). i chose hospitality because it is not as expensive as undergraduate or master program..

any suggestions? are there any other way to get the PR besides business visa & spouse visa?

currently i am in sydney with my wife (she's on student dependent visa), both of us are 20s, any other way to help us to settle in australia?

thanks

This is a very difficult question to answer and one asked by many international students lately.

The Immigration Minister has made it very clear that International Students should study in Australia for an educational outcome and not for the prospect of Permanent Residency.

Even under the old rules you would have had difficulty converting a diploma of hospitality into PR. Under the new rules it will be even more difficult as your overseas qualifications are in a completely different field to your Australian study.

You really need to do your research well and obtain advice based on careful examination of all of yours and your partners’ details and circumstances.

This is a very difficult question to answer and one asked by many international students lately.

The Immigration Minister has made it very clear that International Students should study in Australia for an educational outcome and not for the prospect of Permanent Residency.

Even under the old rules you would have had difficulty converting a diploma of hospitality into PR. Under the new rules it will be even more difficult as your overseas qualifications are in a completely different field to your Australian study.

You really need to do your research well and obtain advice based on careful examination of all of yours and your partners’ details and circumstances.

i see, i am on certificate 3 patisserie right now, and should be finished at the end of this month. i am thinking to move forward anyway (with the hospitality), and see whether there are any other chances to get the PR, but until now, still not 100% sure.. the thing is, i have to pay my 2nd year installment within this week..

i see, i am on certificate 3 patisserie right now, and should be finished at the end of this month. i am thinking to move forward anyway (with the hospitality), and see whether there are any other chances to get the PR, but until now, still not 100% sure.. the thing is, i have to pay my 2nd year installment within this week..

If you are doing a Diploma of Hospitality which incorporates a certificate III in cooking/patisserie, etc, this qualification may enable you to obtain a preliminary trade skills assessment with the TRA. This preliminary assessment will only allow you to apply for a subclass 485 temporary visa (If you meet all of the other requirements offcourse).

To be able to apply for a subclass 885 Permanent residency visa, you will then have to pass the new TRA Job Ready Program to be able to obtain a full trade skills assessment. The Job Ready Program is a process that will take approximately 12 months to complete and cost over $4,000 in TRA fees alone.

If you are doing a Diploma of Hospitality which incorporates a certificate III in cooking/patisserie, etc, this qualification may enable you to obtain a preliminary trade skills assessment with the TRA. This preliminary assessment will only allow you to apply for a subclass 485 temporary visa (If you meet all of the other requirements offcourse).

To be able to apply for a subclass 885 Permanent residency visa, you will then have to pass the new TRA Job Ready Program to be able to obtain a full trade skills assessment. The Job Ready Program is a process that will take approximately 12 months to complete and cost over $4,000 in TRA fees alone.

i see, but as far as i know, now the goverment has revoked all of the list, and until now, i've only got around 350-400 hours working in a bakery, so i can't even apply for TR. do you reckon baker or pastry cook will still be on the list so that i can apply for subclass 885 later?

thanks

i see, but as far as i know, now the goverment has revoked all of the list, and until now, i've only got around 350-400 hours working in a bakery, so i can't even apply for TR. do you reckon baker or pastry cook will still be on the list so that i can apply for subclass 885 later?

thanks

NO, the Skills Occupation List (SOL) has not been revoked. It is being reviewed and will be updated in mid 2010, but the current list is still in force.

The Migration Occupation in Demand list has been revoked as of the 8th of February.

The rules for a TRA skills assessment using Australian qualifications have changed and it is no longer 900 hours of work experience, so you should not base your targets on old rules.

As you intend to nominate a trade occupation, you will only be eligible to apply for a 485 visa once you finish your Australian study, as you will only be able to obtain a preliminary TRA trade skills assessment. This preliminary skills assessment is not suitable to apply for a subclass 885 visa.

Once you have completed the full TRA trade skills assessment (Job Ready Program) you may be able to apply for an 885 if baker/pastry cook, etc is on the new SOL which will be introduced later this year. As to your question of whether they will be on the new list, only time will tell.

Unfortunately the changes to the regulations have made the process very confusing and difficult. Due to this many international students are making life changing decisions based on rumors and hearsay.

NO, the Skills Occupation List (SOL) has not been revoked. It is being reviewed and will be updated in mid 2010, but the current list is still in force.

The Migration Occupation in Demand list has been revoked as of the 8th of February.

The rules for a TRA skills assessment using Australian qualifications have changed and it is no longer 900 hours of work experience, so you should not base your targets on old rules.

As you intend to nominate a trade occupation, you will only be eligible to apply for a 485 visa once you finish your Australian study, as you will only be able to obtain a preliminary TRA trade skills assessment. This preliminary skills assessment is not suitable to apply for a subclass 885 visa.

Once you have completed the full TRA trade skills assessment (Job Ready Program) you may be able to apply for an 885 if baker/pastry cook, etc is on the new SOL which will be introduced later this year. As to your question of whether they will be on the new list, only time will tell.

Unfortunately the changes to the regulations have made the process very confusing and difficult. Due to this many international students are making life changing decisions based on rumors and hearsay.

Do you reckon i should apply for provisional skills assesment straight away after i finish my cert 3? because i will finish cert. 3 at the end of this month, will it help me in the future? i heard that if i didn't apply for provisional skills assesment within 6 months after i finish, then it will become offshore application, is that true? the thing is, i don't know whether the place that i work is TRA recognized or not (heard that one of the requirements to apply for provisional skills assesment is that i have to work in TRA recognized premises)

I do really hope pastry cook/baker would still be on the list, otherwise, i might have to change course, or maybe go back to my country..

Do you reckon i should apply for provisional skills assesment straight away after i finish my cert 3? because i will finish cert. 3 at the end of this month, will it help me in the future?

This will depend on your particular situation. You may not yet be eligible for the provisional skills assessment as there is still an employment experience criteria that needs to be met.

i heard that if i didn't apply for provisional skills assesment within 6 months after i finish, then it will become offshore application, is that true?

This is sort of half right. You need to apply for the 485 or 885 visa within 6 months of completing the Australian qualification you are using to satisfy the Australian study requirement.

the thing is, i don't know whether the place that i work is TRA recognized or not (heard that one of the requirements to apply for provisional skills assesment is that i have to work in TRA recognized premises)

Again, this is sort of half right. For provisional skills assessment the employment experience needs only to be relevant employment experience in a commercial environment. For the Job Ready Program the employer must register with the TRA as there will be a work based assessment.

I do really hope pastry cook/baker would still be on the list, otherwise, i might have to change course, or maybe go back to my country..

Unfortunately this is a dilemma currently being faced by many International Students. I hope my answers have given you some clarity.

This will depend on your particular situation. You may not yet be eligible for the provisional skills assessment as there is still an employment experience criteria that needs to be met.

This is sort of half right. You need to apply for the 485 or 885 visa within 6 months of completing the Australian qualification you are using to satisfy the Australian study requirement.

Again, this is sort of half right. For provisional skills assessment the employment experience needs only to be relevant employment experience in a commercial environment. For the Job Ready Program the employer must register with the TRA as there will be a work based assessment.

Unfortunately this is a dilemma currently being faced by many International Students. I hope my answers have given you some clarity.

Thanks for quick reply, for provisional skills assesment, i need to work for 6 months in bakery/pastry job, right? i also need all IELTS bands to be minimum 6, and i have to finish at least certificate 3 of patisserie, is that right?

So basically, i can apply for the provisional skills assesment straight away after i finish my certificate 3, since i have work for 6 months in bakery?

So if i apply for provisional skills assesment before 30th April, will that help me to apply PR later? are they going to let me to use the 60 points from the present SOL? since i should have my provisional skills assesed already before they introduce the new SOL.

Thanks

Archived