You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

family5

What are your plans B & C?

What are your 'alternative' plans if you pull the plug on your move to OZ?

For us the Oz dream is over. The decison is made and based on the fact that the UK economy and financial world staus will not recover before we are in our late forties/early fifties - 5 to 10 years. Reasons, we would 'lose' significant assets in house devaluation, exchange rates and all other costs in quitting the UK plus the known and hidden costs of setting up a new life in a country that hasnt been in recession and thus has continued to grow, prosper and get more expensive. Brilliant if we had moved out 3 years ago but now we just cannot afford to 'give away' so much of our life savings. The more in assets that you have, the more it costs! For what it would cost us to get our feet on the ground in Oz we could have a three month holiday in Oz every year for the next 10 to 15 years

My question is directed to those who are in the same position as us. Do you have a plan B or C or even D?

We have had to think 'outside the box'. Maybe a move to a more pleasant part of the UK (We live in the Midlands). Maybe stay where we are and buy a (small) place in France, Spain, Italy but remained domiciled in the UK until things improve and stabilise with a long term aspiration to leave the UK altogether. Maybe wait for 10 years and hope one of our children settles in Oz and enables us to go the contributory parent visa route.

Im interested in how the creative/problem solving skills of similarly affected PIO members are dealing with the issues outlined with a view to growing the list of options and alternative plans.

I do realise that our analysis and decisions are based on facts and devoid of the utopia/romantic aspirational elements but the above applies to our specific circumstances which Im sure you understand.

Thanks for reading.

We are in the same position, sort off, we have a sponsor for a 457, and two more in the q, plan `b` is a move from Folkstone where we live at the moment back to Sussex area, we have familly and friends there

Guest treesea

Is there a reason why you want to leave where you are now, and pardon my asking, but what do you do for a crust? These kinds of things would be fairly significant factors when considering whether another place that we may know of that's nice to live would be suitable.

Family5,

We feel the same way as you at the moment. My husband has just completed 22yrs in the RAF and his Mum lives in Queensland. We had hoped to emigrate about 5yrs ago when redundancies were on offer, but unfortunately OH didn't get it, therefore we have had to wait for him to finish his 22yrs in order for him to qualify for a pension etc.

We started our visa application process last March, gained Queensland State sponsorship in September and thought that we would be there by now. The only thing left to do were our meds. We'd even booked flights with Singapore Airlines during their sale last June, thinking that because they were so cheap we could afford to take the risk but were always hoping that we'd have our visa by February and they'd be one-way tickets. We were then hit with the September changes last year, so we just returned from our month holiday in Qld just over a week ago.

Like you say, 3+yrs ago would have been ideal. House prices were more affordable in Oz and the exchange rate was favourable. We've almost reached a point now where we have to say 'enough is enough'. We've moved around the UK for the past 21 years of being together, each time hoping that our two boys soon fitted in at their new school and surroundings. Although my OH has now finished work, he is officially discharged from the RAF at the end of June - at which time we also lose our house as we live in a married quarter. We do not feel settled or happy where we are now, so know that we should move somewhere, but where? We lived in Norfolk for over 4 years until 2006 and liked it there - loved being by the sea but with easy access to Norwich for shopping etc and less than 2hrs to London on the train. Although my family are from Durham, my OH's Dad & Sister are in Cornwall - an area which we also like.

At the moment, DIAC are saying that our visa is unlikely to be processed before the end of 2012, although they seem to have started granting visas to Cat 5s. As we have been so unsettled most of our married life, we cannot wait to put down roots and finally have some sort of stability in our life. Our eldest boy is due to take his options at school later this year, so we really don't want to be moving around any longer. I was also thinking of starting a similar thread to yours but I know that a lot of people would probably advise me to rent a property until our visa comes through. I can see the sense in this, but it may be just prolonging the uncertainty.

We have now been to Oz 4 times and each time we visit we ask ourselves 'Could we live here?' The answer has always been yes, but not without doubt. We have realised what a lot of people say is right - Australia is no better or worse than the UK - its different. The main reason for us wanting to emigrate is the weather and when we first thought about emigrating about 5 years ago it was the affordability of property, especially when the exchange rate was so good.

Many of our friends and family cannot understand why we cannot get a visa as Mark's Mum has lived there for the past 17 years and is now an Australian citizen. It seems so unfair and was really hard to see her so upset when we had to leave.

OH is going to start applying for jobs in this country and in today's climate we may have to move wherever the job offer is, but we are looking at Norfolk and Devon/Cornwall. We're also visiting Cornwall over Easter so if we see a really nice house, then we may just go for it.

Sorry for the ramble. Mandy x

/

Family5,

We feel the same way as you at the moment. My husband has just completed 22yrs in the RAF and his Mum lives in Queensland. We had hoped to emigrate about 5yrs ago when redundancies were on offer, but unfortunately OH didn't get it, therefore we have had to wait for him to finish his 22yrs in order for him to qualify for a pension etc.

We started our visa application process last March, gained Queensland State sponsorship in September and thought that we would be there by now. The only thing left to do were our meds. We'd even booked flights with Singapore Airlines during their sale last June, thinking that because they were so cheap we could afford to take the risk but were always hoping that we'd have our visa by February and they'd be one-way tickets. We were then hit with the September changes last year, so we just returned from our month holiday in Qld just over a week ago.

Like you say, 3+yrs ago would have been ideal. House prices were more affordable in Oz and the exchange rate was favourable. We've almost reached a point now where we have to say 'enough is enough'. We've moved around the UK for the past 21 years of being together, each time hoping that our two boys soon fitted in at their new school and surroundings. Although my OH has now finished work, he is officially discharged from the RAF at the end of June - at which time we also lose our house as we live in a married quarter. We do not feel settled or happy where we are now, so know that we should move somewhere, but where? We lived in Norfolk for over 4 years until 2006 and liked it there - loved being by the sea but with easy access to Norwich for shopping etc and less than 2hrs to London on the train. Although my family are from Durham, my OH's Dad & Sister are in Cornwall - an area which we also like.

At the moment, DIAC are saying that our visa is unlikely to be processed before the end of 2012, although they seem to have started granting visas to Cat 5s. As we have been so unsettled most of our married life, we cannot wait to put down roots and finally have some sort of stability in our life. Our eldest boy is due to take his options at school later this year, so we really don't want to be moving around any longer. I was also thinking of starting a similar thread to yours but I know that a lot of people would probably advise me to rent a property until our visa comes through. I can see the sense in this, but it may be just prolonging the uncertainty.

We have now been to Oz 4 times and each time we visit we ask ourselves 'Could we live here?' The answer has always been yes, but not without doubt. We have realised what a lot of people say is right - Australia is no better or worse than the UK - its different. The main reason for us wanting to emigrate is the weather and when we first thought about emigrating about 5 years ago it was the affordability of property, especially when the exchange rate was so good.

Many of our friends and family cannot understand why we cannot get a visa as Mark's Mum has lived there for the past 17 years and is now an Australian citizen. It seems so unfair and was really hard to see her so upset when we had to leave.

OH is going to start applying for jobs in this country and in today's climate we may have to move wherever the job offer is, but we are looking at Norfolk and Devon/Cornwall. We're also visiting Cornwall over Easter so if we see a really nice house, then we may just go for it.

Sorry for the ramble. Mandy x

Mandy, your plan B is similar to ours. We too have done more than our fair share of rambling, ranting and grumbling at the way things have turned through no fault of our own believe me. We have subscribed in the past to the fatalistic mindset 'if its meant to be etc etc' or 'I dont care how much it costs to get out of here' but such thought processes are deeply flawed and devoid of the harsh reality of the times we live in.

It seems that if you are ambitious, play by the rules, strive and work hard to continuously improve your 'family lot' the more you are penalised and imposed upon by the state. You almost become a hostage in the UK for reasons beyond your control. Its so frustrating I often scream to myself at the UK situation.

I have been in nursing for 22 yrs OH is just about to retire from Public Service. We are lucky that we both have pensions but, for example, when the Oz exchange rate and tax is taken into account they are worth approx 20%less than they were 2 yrs ago. Just seems another reason not to make the move.

Like you, we have been to Oz a few times and have family there. We loved the weather, the place, as you say, is interestingly different. The big BUT is - normal life outside the holiday feeling has to kick in at some stage wherever we settled and we would need stability and security to be able to forward plan and positively develop family life therafter.

For the extortionate costs we would incur to make the move, life would have to be significantly better than our 'good' lifestyle here and we both know that it would not be the case. We are realistic to understand that the better weather alone is not sufficient value or importance to compensate!.

Indeed with the outlay, pension value loss and the disparity between the value of the £ v AUD the outcome certainly is not worth the outlay.

We have three children at home who have yet to finish school and start University. Costs for all three to go to university are small beer compared to the current costs of just achieving a move - and then we would have to pay.

That said, if things were different we would move out of the UK as we think things have gone badly wrong and theres a long way to go before they improve - if they ever do. If we were youngsters, with few assets, just setting out our life plans we would have little to lose by making the move in my opinion. However, we are not youngsters, all our assets are valued in GBP which effectively no one in the world wants, thus worth a lot less when you attempt to change/finance your newlife to fit that of another nation.

I guess there are many more families like ours who are 'stranded' by the current economic, social and political circumstance. I dont feel we as a family have a choice other than to accept the way things are and try to find the positives. Then put all our energy, effort and focus on imaginative, innovative and cost effective ways of improving our lifestyles here in the UK or the EU.

p.s. if we won big on the lottery, forget all of the above. :yes:

Hi Family 5,

Your situation and thoughts are almost identical to ours.

We like you have seen sterling lose at least 20% in 6 months and that is something I dont see reversing anytime soon. That coupled with escalating house prices down under (Perth especially) has made the dream 'shrink' considerably.

We dont have a bad life here, but we have seen our 'surroundings' detiriate these last few years under Blairs Britain.

The answer to your question isn't clear for us, but I know we have to move on and put the oz plan to one side. As you said, maybe move to a more idylic part of the UK, I'm sure they exist.

Either that or Canada, now theres a thought......................