Applying citizenship in other countries while holding Australian VISA. Any effect?

shihalv

hi, i'm just wondering if this will affect my visa in any way.

My visa got approved (subclass 176 under Victoria) last year and i already did my first entry early this year.

However, i'm looking at applying citizenship in another country before I permanently move to australia.. because i only plan to do so maybe in 2-3 yrs time from now.

Would this have any effect to my VISA? because i know i have to inform the oz government if i have any status changes.. is there any chance the government will revoke my VISA?

any adivse would be appreciated.

thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but do know that in some countries you have to renounce citizenship if you want to take citizenship of another country. We have a friend who has lived here many years but is not a citizen as it would mean giving up his Austrian citizenship. It may be prudent to check in regard to your new country of citizenship if you would be allowed to keep it if you later applied for Australian citizenship

i dont mind renouncing my current citizenship .. i'm just worried that by applying for another citizenship now.. it will affect the current aussie VISA i'm holding.. that they will invalidate it..

so right now i'm citizen of country A.. .i want to apply for citizenship for country B for now.. then i still plan to go to australia.. so as long as my visa will never be affected in any way.. i wil go to asutralia.. and just worry about applying for aussie citizenship from there..

• 8 months later...

well, im not sure what DIAC would do to the visa itself, but if you change your citizenship and you HAVE to give up your previous citizenship (i.e. country A doesn't allow dual citizenship, or country B asks that you renounce all your other citizenships), then you'll need to get the visa changed to your country B passport when you get it.

I'd find it quite odd if DIAC does anything to the visa itself (cancel it or whatever just cos you've gotten a new citizenship). Australia now allows dual citizenship so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Archived