Sunshine Coast schools - advice needed

Guest The Simmo Bunch

Guest The Simmo Bunch

We are thinking of send our 2 children 7 & 11 to Currimundi State School. We went to see it on our reccie last year and it seems really nice. Does anyone have children at this school or know what it is like. Also does anyone know of any other good schools in that sort of area.

Any help would be appreciated as getting the school right is the one thing i am worring about the most. x

Guest marmite2vegemite

Hi

You could have a look at this site that allows you to compare schools in terms of state and national averages.

Find a school | ACARA

We are moving to Toowoomba and findings the right school for our children is one of the things that I am most worried about too!

Hi, The schools around the area that have good reputations are also Mountain Creek and Chancellor Park. Although you need to be living in the catchment area to get into these schools.

Regards:wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gedlunny

Hi

Choosing a school is probably one of the most crucial decisions you will make. You can compare test results as one way of selecting a school, however this can be misleading (for example some private schools have an entrance exam, so obviously the results for any such school is going to be in the higher percentiles) and quite limited in assessing the overall benefits of a particular school over another. For us (we migrated 2 years ago) we found the school we chose to be very proactive at welcoming new families into its community, checking that both children and parents settled quickly into their new environment. The school has a regular intake of migrant families (international and inter-state) so it is geared up to support new families.

Private education is not overly costly say in comparison to UK, and often such schools will offer discounts for larger families, bringing the overall cost down even further. Most schools have an enrolment officer, who will usually have lots of experience in dealing with migrant families.

i have 2 boys 7 &8 that go to currimundi. i cannot recomend it highly enough. we moved to currimundi to send our kids there as we were on the beach and a class of kids came out to read on the beach. now that is a classroom.

Tony Roberts the principal is very good and spent 1 1/2 hours showing us the school on his first day back after summer holidays. ?There is also no catchment for this school so you don't have to live close by.

They have also just had a massive new hall built.

So i case you didn't realise i would send my kids there. There are other schools that are good but it is the little things, they have a beach carnival with the kids doing loads of different sports on the beach, they can walk down to the creek to float boats they made. To me the best school i have seen.

There is also caloundra, golden beach, pacific lutheran, talara, pelican waters to choose.

Like i say i am local now (from Horsham) so anything you need to know please just ask. We came out 15 months ago with only a rekkie and not knowing anyone so i know what it is like, feel free to use me as your eyes and ears to give you feet on the ground.

Andrew

Guest shirlw

We had a recce to Sunshine Coast back in 2007 and made our mark in Sippy Downs.Having had a few friends to help us out with showing us around,I don't think that we would have found this place without them.Anyhow for 2 years I have been receiving the Chancelor Park school newsletter and I have been well impressed thus far.Just gotta get there (kids did recce last year with us and also quite liked the look of their new school to be).......do need to be in the catchment area though for this one.

Guest The Simmo Bunch
i have 2 boys 7 &8 that go to currimundi. i cannot recomend it highly enough. we moved to currimundi to send our kids there as we were on the beach and a class of kids came out to read on the beach. now that is a classroom.

Tony Roberts the principal is very good and spent 1 1/2 hours showing us the school on his first day back after summer holidays. ?There is also no catchment for this school so you don't have to live close by.

They have also just had a massive new hall built.

So i case you didn't realise i would send my kids there. There are other schools that are good but it is the little things, they have a beach carnival with the kids doing loads of different sports on the beach, they can walk down to the creek to float boats they made. To me the best school i have seen.

There is also caloundra, golden beach, pacific lutheran, talara, pelican waters to choose.

Like i say i am local now (from Horsham) so anything you need to know please just ask. We came out 15 months ago with only a rekkie and not knowing anyone so i know what it is like, feel free to use me as your eyes and ears to give you feet on the ground.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

We are in Guildford which isn't far from Horsham. My son of 6 has his heart set on going to that school as he saw how close to the beach it was and my 10 year old daughter just doesn't want to talk about it. I was going to email the Headmaster before we got there to tell him our plans and to find out if there would be places available for them. we were looking to move to the Currimundi area in Aug/Sept. Is there any areas that you think we should stear clear off?

Thanks for your offer of help, i think we are going to need it. if i have any questions i will pm you if thats ok.

Hi Andrew

We are in Guildford which isn't far from Horsham. My son of 6 has his heart set on going to that school as he saw how close to the beach it was and my 10 year old daughter just doesn't want to talk about it. I was going to email the Headmaster before we got there to tell him our plans and to find out if there would be places available for them. we were looking to move to the Currimundi area in Aug/Sept. Is there any areas that you think we should stear clear off?

Thanks for your offer of help, i think we are going to need it. if i have any questions i will pm you if thats ok.

from what i have seen here you don't really get bad areas i think it is just individual neighbours. We moved very close to the school because we wanted to be in the catchment, Currimundi don't have a catchment area!! The schools here seem a lot less formal when it comes to people coming in and out during the year, from my experience the class sizes here are a lot smaller and i am sure they will accomodate.

We came over not knowing anyone and we rented a house from the internet, so like i said if you need me to have a look at a street or house just let me know. There is always google earth that has a street view if you want to look at the street as well.

Your kids will also settle in a lot quicker than you most probably so although your daughter dosn't want to talk about it she will come round. Feel free to ask anything.

Guest The Simmo Bunch

Thanks again for your offer of help. we were thinking of renting a holiday home for a few weeks until we find a rental. any suggestions who we should try. what paperwork do we need for long term rental and are they easy to come by.

whats the job situation like out there at the minute, as my oh is an australian he can go into any line of work.

sorry about all the questions but the nearer it gets to the move the more worried and anxious i get.:unsure:

holiday rentals should be ok in Aug as its winter here, i would start on realestate.com we rented a house from the uk as we arrived on jan 5th mid summer so to secure it i paid 3 months up front. long term rentals the agent gets a few people to fill out the forms then the landlord chooses from them?? seems a bit weird to me but that is what they do. We stayed 2 weeks near kings beach on our rekkie in a 2 bed fully furnished apt. had everything inc washer and dryer.

Job situation, thats a difficult one i work in construction trained as an engineer and couldn't get a interview as an engineer????? so i have got a job on a big site in procurement. I think they are out there but alot apply for each job. it has recently been annonced that there is a $60bn pipeline going to be built in north Qld.

Personally i think australian are prefered over english in the job market but i am here and working so it is not all bad. My wife has trained as a personal trainer since being here and just qualified and is now working as well.

It does take a bit of grit and clenched teeth but worth it.

• 2 years later...
Guest welly boots

Hi Guys, my family and I are moving to the Sunshine Coast in July and I have checked out Currumundi School and it looks amazing. I am glad to hear there is no catchment area but we would still like to live close to school for the kids...and also the beach. I have been looking on realestate.com.au at Battery Hill, what is the area like..any good???

My OH is a cabinetmaker and I am a photographer, my jobs isn't such a prob I can set up anywhere but I have done a bit of research and I believe there are a few kitchen manufacturers in the area....any more info would be fab.

We were also thinking of getting a studio unit at Dicky Beach Holiday Park for a couple of weeks if they aren't booked up, any other recommendations would really be appreciated.

Guest welly boots

oh by the way, we are from Waterlooville, not far from Guildford... small world lol

• 2 months later...

Hi, we came to the sunshine coast a couple of weeks ago. We are currently living in Alexandra Heads. I have two children aged 4 and 2. My oldest starts school in January. We are living here temporarily whilst we find a permanent location on the sunny coast. Our main priority is finding a good school for our children but i am currently at a dead end with this as i do not know anything about schools or much about the different areas. I have seen Buderim and Sippy Downs and i really do like these places. Please can anybody give me more of an insight to the state schools in these areas. Even though the school is a priority it is important we are happy with where we live. We are a young family, i do not want to feel the isolation in a very quiet place. Its very difficult being here and not knowing anybody to recommend schools and places like back in England. Getting a little worried and feel slightly out of my depth. Not knowing where to start with the process of schooling is a little daunting. Getting it right is so important to me as it probably is to everyone. Please help!!! Thank you in advance

Becky x

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

just noticed your posts whilst doing a bit of research into sunny coast and have seen you are all from the same area of the UK as us! We come from Portsmouth and both lived in Waterlooville for most of our childhood! ha small world hey!

How are you finding the sunny coast? We are currently living in Hervey Bay and are contemplating moving down to Mountain Creek area, I have a nursing interview lined up for next week! fingers crossed!

Emma

Archived