Help, why do i have to go!

Guest harrisoncfc

Guest Gollywobbler
:biglaugh: i've just told him Gold coast is in QLD....he feels stupid now lol see so wrapped up in his reptiles knows nothing about Geography lol...bless him!

Lou xx

Hi Lou and Harrison

I also knew ZERO about Geography when I was Harrison's age. I went to some truly boring classes at school. A woman with grey hair tied back in a bun was determined to teach us the Principles of Geography or something. Whatever she was on about, the Message shot straight past my ears and I decided that it must be a very boring subject.

Lacking Geography O level (having given it up because it was SO boring) I only got into Geography again in my 50s - ie quite recently. This time, I'd forgotten all the hocus pocus and did it my way instead. There is nothing the matter with my logic.

Because I've come to it in my own time and done it my own way, I now find he subject very interesting because I like to know where places are. I'm not particularly interested in who farms what, where. My own interest is in Climates and why they tick as they do. To understand Climates, you need to know where the place is because you need to know its latitude, its height, how close it is to a major ocean, which ocean etc. I'll never be an expert Climatologist but that doesn't matter - I'm only learning about it for fun for my own amusement and not for anyone else's.

However I was born & brought up in Malaysia, Harrison. There, they have small gecko lizards. In Malay they are called Cheechahs. They grow to maybe 2" long at the most and they are khaki coloured. Pale brown. They are everywhere.

They are dear little things - really adorable. The trot about on the walls and ceilings, harm nobody and are completely harmless to everything except spiders. They do keep the spiders down though I've never been frightened of spiders and don't object to them hanging around in the UK, where I live now.

I've tried to get friendly with Cheechahs but it doesn't work. They won't come close for a chat. Apparently they have little suckers on their feet that enable them to defy gravity and stick to the walls and ceilings. There are LOADS of geckos in Oz, though. Lots of different sizes and colours.

The best photographer that I know is PommyPaul. He is now on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I don't know how far that is from the Gold Coast but although it is probably 300 miles at least, that is "not far" in Australia. There might be trains. PommyPaul was brought up on the Norfolk Broads in the UK and I've seen some very good vids that he made there.

However in Oz, Paul seems to like living in the jungle. Please see his threads below (all videos.)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/78369-turtle-surfing-rapids-down-my-flooded-driveway.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/76674-snake-verandah.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/77097-big-bugs.html

(He's beautiful - he's a cricket even though I know that isn't your own subject)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/72725-better-video-lizard.html

This one is for you, though! I think he is a Monitor Lizard though there are lots of different types in Oz.

In your shoes, I'd do a search for threads by Paul and watch all of his videos. I'd also get chummy with Paul if I were you. He isn't that far away from where you will be.....

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't be disappointed Harrison, the amount of wildlife on your doorstep (and sometimes in your house!) is amazing, you'll love it!

When my daughter (who was 11 when we moved here) first started school, they had to train for a cross country run by running around the circumference of the school grounds which are really big and surrounded by bushland. One boy in her class refused to do that, saying to the other kids that he was "going to do a short cut through the bushland." So off he set.

He was next to be seen racing out of the bushland waving his arms and screaming at the top of his voice, pursued by an enormous and angry monitor lizard he had disturbed from its sleep. All the other kids stood in amazement and then laughed their heads off.

Needless to say, he stuck to the long way round after that :biglaugh:

Sue x

Hi Lou and Harrison

The best photographer that I know is PommyPaul. He is now on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I don't know how far that is from the Gold Coast but although it is probably 300 miles at least, that is "not far" in Australia.

Gill

Closer than that - more like 100 miles, I'd say.

Guest Rickard Family

Thanks for the links Gill!!

Harrison realy like the turtle one! i think H will definately be hunting pauls threads down on here:biglaugh:!

Lou xx

Guest harrisoncfc

Thanks everyone for your help!

i am prob gonna get a licence ( if possible ) and find a new reptile or two to get into.

And will deffo be keeping an eye out for pauls threads! :biglaugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lozza1999

Have you been to oz? Went to oz a few years back. there are loads of reptiles and other creatures, my mum got stung by a scorpian!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harrisoncfc
Have you been to oz? Went to oz a few years back. there are loads of reptiles and other creatures, my mum got stung by a scorpian!

no, not yet. but since making this post our visa thing has been granted and we are moving out there on the 29th of june :confused:

no, not yet. but since making this post our visa thing has been granted and we are moving out there on the 29th of june :confused:

Im sure that you will be fine....:yes:.....You can keep in touch with all family & friends in the Uk via Skype (I bet they will all be so jelous!)

Wishing you all the best.....:cute:

Archived