Help, why do i have to go!

Guest harrisoncfc

Unfortunately the licensing system does nothing to protect the native animals, poaching is a huge issue and it is very easy to then make them legal by putting them onto someone's license.

I must digress here because your post reminded me of a time some 37 years ago. I worked for the Main Roads Dept, WA and drove around in a government vehicle. One day I had reason to go to Parry Lagoons, near Wyndham, in the East Kimberley. I came upon a small hillock and there was a camp with about 15 cages of star finches, gouldian finches, firetailed finches and a few grass finches. No one in the camp so I released them all. I was opening the last cage when the "bloke' came back. He saw the birds being released and drove towards me when he noticed the government number plate and rather large aerial sticking out from the bull-bar and immediately swung about and scooted off. Parry Lagoon was and still is a wildlife sanctuary.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest harrisoncfc
umm.... we'll consider consider this thread hijacked shall we

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

agreed...

i leave this thread over-night and ow everyone is talking about fishing :biglaugh:

No worries, i know what i need to know now.

I see no reason why your parents couldn't get a reptile licence, the exact regulations will depend on the state you move to but you might find the info about licences on this site useful, as well as all the wonderful reptiles that can be kept as pets

Home

And if you love reptiles Australia is a wonderful place to live, we have 'bob' the blue tongued lizard that lives in our garden and is virtually tame.

Jules

Guest Rickard Family

Guys!!!! Fishing!!!:nah: lol

Your not helping me very much lol

Come on i need help convincing him....tell him all the postives!!

Thanks

Lou (harrison's mum) xx

Guest Rickard Family

Thanks Jules!

I will check that out then maybe have a bit of good news for when he comes home from school!

Lou xx

Guest Rickard Family

I have just found a QLD website all about reptiles stating as long as we have a licence we can keep reptile could even ship ours out there price depending!

So this is either gonna makes H's day or destroy it......think he is actually looking for excuses not to go lol:biglaugh:

Lou xx

I have just found a QLD website all about reptiles stating as long as we have a licence we can keep reptile could even ship ours out there price depending!

So this is either gonna makes H's day or destroy it......think he is actually looking for excuses not to go lol:biglaugh:

Lou xx

Take him out in the bush or up the northern territory , and have a word with any of them pythons out there that want to become his pet , best get a rope round his legs , mate i aint no snake lover but the best place for them is out in the bush in their own habitat not stuck in no glass cage , ggod thing here you cn see them in their own environment , living their lifes not stuck in a glass tank

The only species able to be legally kept in this country are native species so unfortunately no Royal Pythons. One of the reasons I am considering returning to the UK is our restrictive system and ridiculous red tape. Maybe not what you want to hear, sorry.

Another ridiculous reason to return , to the uk I cant own a python , ffs its too funny

Guest harrisoncfc
Another ridiculous reason to return , to the uk I cant own a python , ffs its too funny

so, some people like pythons and some people dont. it's just like a dog, people with pythons see them every day and can get very atatched.

This is a 14 year old who doesn't want to come (and actually sounds very thoughtful and mature for his age)

Guest harrisoncfc
This is a 14 year old who doesn't want to come (and actually sounds very thoughtful and mature for his age)

Thank you

I think you'll find Mally was quoting chris955, I don't think Chris is 14 and you read his post, he list this as one of the reasons he wants to return :wink:

One of the reasons I am considering returning to the UK is our restrictive system and ridiculous red tape.

Guest Rickard Family

He Happens to take a lot of time, attention & care of his pets which he does very well! They are well fed & watered & not STUCK in glass tanks they will have a better chance of survival than in the wild & the educational value he has picked up along the way is amazing.

Lou xx

Take him out in the bush or up the northern territory , and have a word with any of them pythons out there that want to become his pet , best get a rope round his legs , mate i aint no snake lover but the best place for them is out in the bush in their own habitat not stuck in no glass cage , ggod thing here you cn see them in their own environment , living their lifes not stuck in a glass tank

I think you'll find Mally was quoting chris955, I don't think Chris is 14 and you read his post, he list this as one of the reasons he wants to return :wink:

Okay, I didn't see the conection and didn't interpret Chris' point as being related to reptiles (restrictions and red tape apply to many aspects of aussie life)

I still don't think it's a sensitive post to a younger one's thread but I stand corrected :)0

Jules

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Harrison

How old are you and whereabouts in Oz do your parents plan to move to, please?

Steve Irwin - the Crocodile Hunter - was just as passionate about reptiles as you are. He loved crocodiles, all sorts of lizards and all sorts of snakes, without exception. He was also born in Australia (I believe) and was an Aussie.

I'm dubious about keeping snakes in a home in a suburb in Australia. For one thing, snakes don't naturally live in the suburbs and it is definitely not natural (to the snake) for them to live in a house. For another thing, next door's cat might nip over the fence and kill your pet snake.

Apparently Royal Pythons come from Africa:

Ball Pythons in the Wild DVD - Welcome to Dr. Steve Gorzula Presents - Ball Python DVD

It seems to me that you have probably learned enough through keeping snakes as pets to be really useful when it comes to catching snakes and moving them out of someone's backyard and into somewhere suitable for the snake in Australia?

Cheers

Gill

Guest chris955

It is only possible to keep native species in Australia so it is impossible to take the Royal Pythons with you.

Snakes are quite common in many suburbs and have taken advantage of the food supply, rats and mice. It is illegal to take reptiles from the wild and most animals available are 4th or 5th generation or more.

I'm not sure how next doors cat could kill the snake, they are kept in secure cages INSIDE the house in most cases. If cat owners were generally more responsible we would have many more native animals in this country.

Yes, one of the reasons I would like to return to the UK is for the availability of reptiles and the lack of red tape and over the top regulations, it may sound crazy to some but certainly not to me. :wink:

Lou xx

Guest chris955

:laugh:As I have said in most States it is illegal to take snakes from the wild and most are multi generation captive bred and would be lost in the wild. The problem is also in NT it is becoming increasingly difficult to find many reptiles because of the Cane Toad, land clearing and other feral animals that have severely depleted their numbers.

Hi everyone,

my name is harrison and my parents were wanting to go to oz in 2008.

i came off here in 2009 as my parents sort of left the idea. but now they want to go again!

I have a big hobby which is reptiles and was wandering if anyone in oz could tell me if they have Royal pythons in Oz.

Thanks alot.

Hello mate, the royal python question has already been answered but do abit of googling on native australian reptiles and you'll find that there is alot you can get into when over here, plus as you get older you'll find alot more opputunities to study and work with reptiles so you can earn money from your hobby.

Good luck fella, lifes a big adventure and if you're lucky enought to get to see abit of the world just go with the flow :)

Guest Guest31881
Hello mate, the royal python question has already been answered but do abit of googling on native australian reptiles and you'll find that there is alot you can get into when over here, plus as you get older you'll find alot more opputunities to study and work with reptiles so you can earn money from your hobby.

Good luck fella, lifes a big adventure and if you're lucky enought to get to see abit of the world just go with the flow :)

You beat me to it Paul; I was going to say the same thing!

Depending where you will live you will find reptiles walk through your garden or share your house with you. I live in QLD and share my house with Geckoes, they come around in the evening, have a walk around the walls and ceilings and sit and watch me on the computer. Then off they go to feed and get rid of all the spiders and bugs in the house.

For someone who is interested in reptiles I cannot think of a better place to live and see them in their natural habitat. There are posts on here containing photos and video of reptiles walking through members gardens.

Use the search button to look for posts about Lizards, snakes I am sure you will find some interesting stuff.

Guest Rickard Family

Thanks Guys

I also think with his knowledge at this age with reptiles is going to take him along way & i too think Australia would be a perfect place for him to achieve this it's a shame i can not convience him of this! so this will definately be something else we will be researching on our recci as he is so passionate about it!

Lou xx

Guest harrisoncfc
You beat me to it Paul; I was going to say the same thing!

Depending where you will live you will find reptiles walk through your garden or share your house with you. I live in QLD and share my house with Geckoes, they come around in the evening, have a walk around the walls and ceilings and sit and watch me on the computer. Then off they go to feed and get rid of all the spiders and bugs in the house.

For someone who is interested in reptiles I cannot think of a better place to live and see them in their natural habitat. There are posts on here containing photos and video of reptiles walking through members gardens.

Use the search button to look for posts about Lizards, snakes I am sure you will find some interesting stuff.

thanks,

you are very lucky!!! =D

i would love to have geckos walking round my house!

but my mum has got her heart set on gold coast!

Guest Guest31881
thanks,

you are very lucky!!! =D

i would love to have geckos walking round my house!

but my mum has got her heart set on gold coast!

We are just north of gold coast. I am sure they will have them there.

Guest Rickard Family
We are just north of gold coast. I am sure they will have them there.

:biglaugh: i've just told him Gold coast is in QLD....he feels stupid now lol see so wrapped up in his reptiles knows nothing about Geography lol...bless him!

Lou xx

Guest Guest31881
:biglaugh: i've just told him Gold coast is in QLD....he feels stupid now lol see so wrapped up in his reptiles knows nothing about Geography lol...bless him!

Lou xx

I have sent him a PM. :biggrin:

Archived