Help, why do i have to go!

Guest harrisoncfc

Guest harrisoncfc

Hi everyone,

my name is harrison and my parents were wanting to go to oz in 2008.

i came off here in 2009 as my parents sort of left the idea. but now they want to go again!

I have a big hobby which is reptiles and was wandering if anyone in oz could tell me if they have Royal pythons in Oz.

Thanks alot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

my name is harrison and my parents were wanting to go to oz in 2008.

i came off here in 2009 as my parents sort of left the idea. but now they want to go again!

I have a big hobby which is reptiles and was wandering if anyone in oz could tell me if they have Royal pythons in Oz.

Thanks alot.

G'day mate, no royal pythons, but plenty of others; some up to 7 metres.

Reptile - Australian Pythons

Now, poisonous snakes; we have (arguably) 9 of the top 10 poisonous snakes in the world.

Romsey Australia: Most Lethal Snake in the World

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest harrisoncfc

are you talking about no wild royals or pet royals? as i am on about starting up again when i am in oz ; )

Guest chris955

The only species able to be legally kept in this country are native species so unfortunately no Royal Pythons. One of the reasons I am considering returning to the UK is our restrictive system and ridiculous red tape. Maybe not what you want to hear, sorry.

Guest harrisoncfc
The only species able to be legally kept in this country are native species so unfortunately no Royal Pythons. One of the reasons I am considering returning to the UK is our restrictive system and ridiculous red tape. Maybe not what you want to hear, sorry.

i am very annoyed now and this is just another reason for me not wanting to go! :mad:

i am very annoyed now and this is just another reason for me not wanting to go! :mad:

Sorry to read that, Harrison. However, there is magnificent fishing in Australia, far, far better than anything you can get in England.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

You have to look at it this way, Australia has a lot of native animals, if they didn't have licences to own these, a lot of the native animals would go missing as a lot do.........

If you are into reptiles Australia is a much more interesting place than the UK. You could train as a volunteer with one of the groups who catch and relocate reptiles from places where people DON'T want them. You could train to become a reptile keeper in one of the many zoos or native wildlife parks here.

Guest guest37336
Sorry to read that, Harrison. However, there is magnificent fishing in Australia, far, far better than anything you can get in England.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj.

Come on, you can't be serious. Cold river banks chasing Roach, Bleak etc. Or a windswept beach in Winter chasing Codling, AGHHHHH.

Sorry, come to my senses Bobj, GOD I envy you. My new name for you is the: Fishing Oracle:notworthy::notworthy:

Hi Bobj.

Come on, you can't be serious. Cold river banks chasing Roach, Bleak etc. Or a windswept beach in Winter chasing Codling, AGHHHHH.

Sorry, come to my senses Bobj, GOD I envy you. My new name for you is the: Fishing Oracle:notworthy::notworthy:

I'll take you barramundi fishing...OK???:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest chris955

Unfortunately the licensing system does nothing to protect the native animals, poaching is a huge issue and it is very easy to then make them legal by putting them onto someone's license.

You have to look at it this way, Australia has a lot of native animals, if they didn't have licences to own these, a lot of the native animals would go missing as a lot do.........

Guest chris955

If you are just talking about native reptiles then yes I agree absolutely but for the hobbyist keeper the UK wins hands down, they have access to quite literally just about every reptile found anywhere in the world and ironically there are more opportunities to work with reptiles as well.

I'm not being negative but I know the situation in both countries very well.

If you are into reptiles Australia is a much more interesting place than the UK. You could train as a volunteer with one of the groups who catch and relocate reptiles from places where people DON'T want them. You could train to become a reptile keeper in one of the many zoos or native wildlife parks here.

Guest guest37336
I'll take you barramundi fishing...OK???:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I will hold you to that Bobj. The only one I ever caught was under 2 kilo in an impoundment just outside Cairns. IMO can't beat chasing big lizards on the plug or fly in the estuaries around OZ.

Thanks Bobj.

I will hold you to that Bobj. The only one I ever caught was under 2 kilo in an impoundment just outside Cairns. IMO can't beat chasing big lizards on the plug or fly in the estuaries around OZ.

Thanks Bobj.

Just starting to learn how to fly fish and loving it, can't wait to take my knowledge up to Scotland

Guest guest37336
Just starting to learn how to fly fish and loving it, can't wait to take my knowledge up to Scotland

Tell you what Geoffrey. It is/was one of the hardest skills I have ever tried to learn. Still hook my ear occasionally, or worse the fella next to me.:biglaugh:

Tell you what Geoffrey. It is/was one of the hardest skills I have ever tried to learn. Still hook my ear occasionally, or worse the fella next to me.:biglaugh:

Tracy's grand dad is teaching me and he keeps telling me I have a limp wrist :biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Tracy's grand dad is teaching me and he keeps telling me I have a limp wrist :biglaugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The fella who originally taught me got so fed up with my 'limp' wrist he eventually taped a splint to my forearm, he reckoned it was being 'cruel to be kind'. I call it just CRUEL, but it did work.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The fella who originally taught me got so fed up with my 'limp' wrist he eventually taped a splint to my forearm, he reckoned it was being 'cruel to be kind'. I call it just CRUEL, but it did work.

Same here!!! he makes me wear a long sleeve top that he tucks the rod into then gets a clip that he wraps around my arm, then tells me off because I haven't been practicing out in the back yard........ you won't brake the rod whip it hard (anyone listening would be in stiches :biglaugh: limp wrists, whipping it hard etc)

Guest guest37336
Same here!!! he makes me wear a long sleeve top that he tucks the rod into then gets a clip that he wraps around my arm, then tells me off because I haven't been practicing out in the back yard........ you won't brake the rod whip it hard (anyone listening would be in stiches :biglaugh: limp wrists, whipping it hard etc)

After about two days of practice my hand was in a constant state of paralysis, making a somewhat round shape, mmmm. :Randy-git: Oh how I laughed with all those around me when the jokes started about constantly fiddling with myself. I don't know who was more offended, me or the WIFE at the time.:wideeyed:

Archived