register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

hoorayhenry

Wills & Probate NSW

Hi

It's a bit of a long shot, but wonder if anyone knows whether a will has to go through probate in NSW.

Also, is there a way of finding out if someone has written a will, without asking the immediate family.

Thanks

HH

Hi

It's a bit of a long shot, but wonder if anyone knows whether a will has to go through probate in NSW.

Also, is there a way of finding out if someone has written a will, without asking the immediate family.

Thanks

HH

You need to apply for probate if the estate is to be wound up. If you know the name, date of birth and death, you can call the Public Trustee (I think - I'll check with the OH later if no one else answers?) to find out if probate was applied for. Not sure about finding out about the will though.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Supreme court probate registry may be able to help:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/Supreme_Court/ll_sc.nsf/pages/SCO_probatehow

They can take the best part of an hour to answer the phone, but are very helpful. You also need the last residential address. But that is only to check if probate was applied for, not for the existence of a will.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Thanks Fleabo. I did contact the Supreme Court and they said probate wasn't applied for but they said there might still be a will, which I didn't think was possible. The woman I spoke to wasn't the most helpful and just ended up confusing me more!

There can be a will, with no probate.

I don't think there is a great deal that you in order to find out if there was a will apart from asking around.

If there is no will, then its the laws of intestate and 'Letters of Administration' I think.

You should consider some proper legal advice though.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.