houses made of wood

Guest jordan

We live in a solid timber double storied house - built by my husband. It is a post and beam construction, solid 2 inch thick timbered ship lapped walls - no nails, screws, bolts or metal brackets used in the building. Built on a concrete slab.

Timber was cut from the trees on the property where we live, no need for wall insulation as timber is one of the best insulators around. Corrugated iron roof which is heavily insulated and tiled floors throughout. Consequently the house holds the heat in the winter and keeps the heat out in the summer. House has never been painted was treated with a weatherproof oil over 20 years ago which has been "touched up" a couple of times over that period. Still looks good and is showing no deterioration at all. .

dalhousie

We live in a solid timber double storied house - built by my husband. It is a post and beam construction, solid 2 inch thick timbered ship lapped walls - no nails, screws, bolts or metal brackets used in the building. Built on a concrete slab.

Timber was cut from the trees on the property where we live, no need for wall insulation as timber is one of the best insulators around. Corrugated iron roof which is heavily insulated and tiled floors throughout. Consequently the house holds the heat in the winter and keeps the heat out in the summer. House has never been painted was treated with a weatherproof oil over 20 years ago which has been "touched up" a couple of times over that period. Still looks good and is showing no deterioration at all. .

dalhousie

I would love to see a photo of your home. It sounds lovely.

I would love to see a photo of your home. It sounds lovely.

Thanks I'd love to post a photo here but honestly I haven't a clue how to go about it. I might have to wait until I have a visit from a nine-year old before I can even slightly grasp the ins and out of this medium.:embarrassed:

dalhousie

Archived