houses made of wood

Guest jordan

Guest Marylou

Most older houses are. Mines a combination of fibro/wood with a tin roof.

You'll find most new homes brick with tiled roofs. At least in NSW.

Guest ABCDiamond
hi anyone. Been watching loads of austalian house selling programs and are all houses made of wood in australia.

Most newer houses are timber framed, with a brick veneer outside. Very few are Double Brick in the same way as many UK houses.

Brick veneer - A type of building in which a structural timber frame is tied to a single brick external wall.

This was common in the UK, with Wimpy homes etc, back in 1980's when I left the UK. Not sure how common it is these days though.

A Typical Queenslander style house will be all timber.

Double brick is good for in the south, where it gets colder.

• 1 month later...
Guest MattandSarah

don't the specifications change with each area? We were looking at south west and the info book we were using said that in WA most houses have to be brick with slate roof.!

• 10 months later...

There are regional variations on construction methods , however , the vast majority of houses are either wood framed or steel framed with a brick or weatherboard veneer . The bricks have no structural integrity at all and only serve as a exterior surface . The frame is the structural component of the house and holds the roof in place as well as the windows and doors . To complicate matters further , roof material 's are usually tile or corrugated metal sheet . Local building restrictions and planning regulations determine construction methods used .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BullCreek_Bob
There are regional variations on construction methods , ...

G'day

There certainly are regional variations. Here in Perth almost everything is double brick walls on a floating concrete slab (which makes it tough to add a wine cellar !!).

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Hi

We live in NSW and our house is wood frame with brick veneer and a clay tile roof. That seems to be most of the houses over here as far as we can see.

Jackie

• 2 years later...
Guest Gabby

I live in Perth w A for past 35 years.we came from Nottingham. MOST houses here are double brick some with tile roofs and some with colourbond roofs.

When we thought about emigrating here the only movies shown by immigration were so old and out of date we actually thought the streets were sandy and all houses had picket fences.We had 3 disappointed sons who walked to school and didn't have to ride horses as shown in movies. Perth is the tops and we have never been back for a visit .WE are home . Gabby

Guest heieup

We're in Victoria and we're renting a place which is brick veneer but we've bought a house which is timber. Most are either timber wholly or timber frame with brick veneer single outside. I've read that most houses in Victoria are brick veneer with tile rooves but on a quick survey its about 50:50 brick to wood and mainly tin rooves (they are quite annoyingly noisy but you get used to it.)

my place is an old 1920s queenslander, all wood and on stilts... its as if the house has a mind of its own, depending upon whether its hot, cold, wet or dry it actually moves enought so that the dooors, windows, cupboards etc will open and shut in different ways. so much charecter

I work in the construction industry and things are starting to move away from wood especially with the new bushfire regulations. Regional variations are common as the climate has alot to do with buiding regulations.

Marylou is right, alot of the older houses especially on the east coast are timber weatherboards. Now very fewer are timber but products that look like timber.

Doesn't matter too much, building regs are pretty good, especially now. Still find it a bit weird though

We live in Victoria and have a brick veneer house with klip lok steel roof as they are more appropriate for the climate, do not hold the heat in summer. We also have verandas all around the house once again for climate.

Guest bernie

Hi

The new houses here in QLD have steel ties from floor level to ceiling for protection against cyclones.

Watch out on older QLD houses, many of them are asbestos lined, and is only a problem if cut etc.

Hope this helps

hi anyone. Been watching loads of austalian house selling programs and are all houses made of wood in australia.

Only those that are not built with bricks, besser blocks, concrete slabs, mud bricks, concrete/fibro etc.:wink:

Various covenants are in place for safety, termite and aesthetic reasons.

Where I live, one has to have the house built to the highest cyclone rating within 1.5 km of any beach. Any building material can be used so long as it complies with the Australian Standard; my house is brick, 15 years old and my nextie built his last year and his is made from concrete/fibro.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Gabby

We have a colourbond roof in Perth --noisy when it rains but otherwise just fine---hardere for intruders to get in th rough the roof too !!!

I have visited Brisbane / Sunshine coast and love it,sydney ,Melbourne,,,,,,,,, for expo's for business.I love Perth much slower and quieter and has a lovely community feel.Victoria I will save for another holiday.--Gabby

We're fibro with an industrial-grade aluminium roof.

Watch out for tiled roofs over here; the roof pitch is so low that water very easily blows back under the tiles in windy weather, colourbond steel may be noisier, but it mitigates that problem. Many of the older places are getting cladded now; it looks like the timber weatherboard but doesn't need painting.

Incidentally, the sort of building you can put up also depends on your ground conditions; they love solid slabs over here as it removes the termite issues, for a highly expansive clay soil (Class H on your soil test), you can have a double brick if you put in a very thick slab, over 1m of solid concrete from memory, if you have a Class E soil (extremely expansive) you cannot put in a double brick at all as they're too brittle and don't flex enough with the ground movement.

For the OP, thought the following post I've posted previously might be of interest to you.

-----------------------------------------------

You have to decide whether to shack or not to shack.

When I dragged my Geordie wife to Brisbane I explained to her that almost all houses in Brisbane used to be wooden - which explains why the first 10km or so from the CBD is almost all wooden house.

I'm not living in a bloody shack (said with Geordie accent) she insisted. After repeated attempts I gave up an we moved to the brick belt that really boomed in the late 70's onwards. You can now carbon date the rings around Brisbane from shacks to 70's brick, 80's brick, 90's brick, 00's brick as you go out.

The thing you need to know is that the more classical "shacks" are actually the most sought after, desirable houses in Brisbane. The inner city one's are the best and they usually get less desirable as you go out as the shacks become newer and more plain. They have their issues (draughts, maintenance etc) but are the most beautiful houses full of charm and detail. So the first question you must decide - can you buy an elegant Queenslander home or to you is it just a shack.

Note that after a few years my wife totally changed her mind and we are now looking at shacks.

So roughly the suburbs I listed above are:

Wishart - brick 80's to 00's

Eight Mile Plains - brick 80's to 00's

Upper Mt Gravatt - less desirable shacks and brick 70-80's

Mt Gravatt - less desirable to fair shacks

Holland Park - fair to awesome shacks

Tarragindi - less desirable to awesome shacks

Carindale - 80's to 00's brick

Carina - mostly less desirable shacks

Carina Heights - mostly less desirable shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Camp Hill - better shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Norman Park - some nice shacks

Coorparoo - nice shacks and some unusual (for Brisbane) English style homes.

Indooroopilly - nice shacks and brick?

Taringa - nicer shacks

Toowong - even nicer shacks

Auchenflower - shacks are even better

Paddington - best shacks overall

Guest Gabby

I think this thread has changed direction and the one originally interested has been lost somewhere--- we are actually in Perth double brick tin roof retic gardens swim pool etc etc so are very settled after 36 years.

I love the Queenslander homes .My bbrother lives over there and we visit regularly.double brick is scarecer but single brick with fibro inside is pretty popular too. I hope all who were researching found the answers here-- by the way Where in geordie land are you from.I lived in Whitley Bay for 6-7 years and my best friends still live there --that is my second home after Perth W A cheers Gabby

• 9 months later...
Guest AnnaTT

Victoria seems to have a huge proportion of homes made of wood. In South Australia homes made of wood are rare. Though extensions made of wood are common. Homes made before 1960 are invariably double brick in South Australia. The preference for brick is because of white ants, something you should check for before buying. Today Steel frame is becoming more popular, once again to combat white ants. In South Australia wooden homes are seen as inferior to brick, whether it be brick veneer or double brick. But if price is an issue Victoria has loads of cheaper homes made of wood, especially outside of metropolitan Melbourne.

What you should avoid is the Fibro houses which are cheap for a reason and look cheap no matter what you do to them inside.

I agree most people prefer a tile roof. But there are reasons why colourbond (zinc aluminum) is superior. You may not like a colourbond roof (instead of tiles) but colourbond is better security and much less likely to have issues when one tile breaks and water is able to enter the home. Also refuse to buy any home with foil insulation in the ceiling. Currently big problems with foil insulation such that government is about to pay for all foil insulation to be removed from thousands of homes.

no

i live in nsw, and i prefer the older style houses here

the ones they are building nowadays are frankly crap, all open plan which i hate with a passion, you can hear every tiny annoying noise no matter where you are in the house, every smell travels everywhere, and they are cold looking places (i don't mean temperature wise)

Victoria seems to have a huge proportion of homes made of wood. In South Australia homes made of wood are rare. Though extensions made of wood are common. Homes made before 1960 are invariably double brick in South Australia. The preference for brick is because of white ants, something you should check for before buying. Today Steel frame is becoming more popular, once again to combat white ants. In South Australia wooden homes are seen as inferior to brick, whether it be brick veneer or double brick. But if price is an issue Victoria has loads of cheaper homes made of wood, especially outside of metropolitan Melbourne.

What you should avoid is the Fibro houses which are cheap for a reason and look cheap no matter what you do to them inside.

I agree most people prefer a tile roof. But there are reasons why colourbond (zinc aluminum) is superior. You may not like a colourbond roof (instead of tiles) but colourbond is better security and much less likely to have issues when one tile breaks and water is able to enter the home. Also refuse to buy any home with foil insulation in the ceiling. Currently big problems with foil insulation such that government is about to pay for all foil insulation to be removed from thousands of homes.

The oP was from 2006 lol

Guest marge

I grew up in a wood house built in 1902 in the suburbs of Sydney. I lived in the US for a few years and all the houses there are wood - many of them are hundreds of years old and they're beautiful.

A lot of Australians have an idea that wooden houses are inferior but in a lot of ways they're better. I think it comes from the three little pigs. :laugh:

Archived