Aged Parents and Bridging Visas

Guest Nodders

Guest dundazi
Hi Maureen and David thanks for your reply It looks as though you are going to do the same as us,so good luck with everything.To answer your questions from what we have learned so far.You can make application at any time whilst in oz,but might be prudent to wait a few weeks into your 3 month visa time.The sponser must give undertaking to provide support,accomodation and financial assistance during first 2 years.AOS starts from date of granting your visas and at to-days fees is $5000 for main applicant and $2000 for next one.You have to wait 2 years for most social security payments and 10 years for age and disability payments.You can of course claim a lot of medical payments under Medicare by way of the reciprocal system: all costs in non private hospitals(i have had open heart surgery in a Perth hospital-and it was free)Try and register with a Dr who bulk bills but you have to pay towards any drug issues hope all goes well for you Mavin and Jacky

Hi Mavin and Jacky,

gosh you have helped a lot like a minefield isnt it......we will wait around two months untill we apply.

I reacon what I read into it all is when DIAC say the visa is due to be issued and the assurer has to fill in the forms they assess wether or not a AOS is required it seems to use the terminology such as some

visa applicants may have to and should a AOS be required they dont use the wording all visa applicants.

so dont know..wether it is definate a AOS is payable or maybe a AOS is payable.?

anyway lets see will be interesting to hear how you go on as I expect you will go through it first.

We are hoping to remain independent from staying full time with family by doing Housesits or even Caretaker positions with accom provided..untill we get past the two year stage and the AOS is back in hand..... this in Queensland where our family are we have a daughter also in New Zealand but seems more difficult to get in as a aged parent there.

How soon after applying do you envisage it takes to get the visa granted and therefore need the AOS

to be applied and paid as the two years runs from then .

kind regards and thanks again

Guest spursno1

Hi Maureen and David not sure how long we will have to wait and the aos starts once visa is granted.Good idea of yours to do house sits etc.we have also undertaken theses before.Our daughter is living in the Perth area of W.A.Cannot wait to see her in April

Allthe best

avin and Jacky

• 8 months later...
Guest chrisbeckett

Very interested in the 804 scenario. We arrived (3rd time this year on an ETA from the UK, on September 7th 2012, ETA running out on October 9th). We had previously been told that the 804 could take several weeks to process, so we booked to return to the UK on October 7th, under our existing ETA before it ran out, to be on the safe side.

We submitted the forms to Perth Imigration office on September 11th. Our "A" bridging visa was posted to us on the 12th! Very impressive.

It said in the letter that it would become effective on October 10th, once our ETA had expired - but this didn't gel with our planned flights, as to leave Oz on an ETA then try to get back in in a couple of months would require a new ETA, and make our bridging visa invalid (and money lost!)

Popped down to Perth Immigration on @20th September to explain the dilemma. An EXCEEDINGLY helpful chap said "no worries mate. I'll cancel the ETA now and bring forward your "B" temporary visa to todays date, so you can get home and back to Oz." did it there and then. Took 10 minutes.

Not only that, he sorted out an unlimited multi-trip visa B for us - only $125 for both of us, and gave us the tip it would be automatically, if we should need it, be renewed next year if we re-applied before expiry.

Well early days, proof of the pudding etc - but I was amazed by his helpfulness and ability to understand our dilemma - calls to the Helpline had been very contradictory.

I now have the sticker in my passport - as the chap said, VEVO kinda makes it redundant, but it doesn't harm to have it, and can "smooth the way"!

So off on Sunday, to sell up house etc - OK, with a seven year waiting list for 804s, we decided to chance it. If we get slung out for whatever reason, we'd just start over in the UK - grateful we'd had 7 years hear - with our 31 members of the family here! (?? sons and daughters, grand-ditto, great-grand ditto :-)

Guest spursno1

Hi ChrisBeckett

Reading your experience re visiting u.k. after you applied for 804 visa We have applied last April when we arrived and have return tickets to u.k. next april (it is cheaper to do this and then book return tickets to oz in England when we return) like you we have been granted an A visa and did not realise you could apply for an unlimited B class-great info.Just as a point of info my wife applied for permission to work and has been granted this.You have to fill out a 2005 form and give details why you want to work.We had a sale of property in u.k. which fell through so we said we were relying on the proceeds plus interest to support ourselves and they accepted this-if you want more details get in touch

spursno1

Guest chrisbeckett

THANKS Spurs01 - I had heard that WA is pretty lenient on giving a right to work - didn't know the Form number - 2005 - so that it a great tip!

When we come back, hopefully it will be for the last time - but I've noticed that single tickets from UK are just as expensive, nearly, as returns - so I'm tempted to get a "return to the UK" with a changeable date, should we need to go back. Most airlines will allow flexibility with no fee, for changing dates! Then do the same again in the future, ie buy UK tickets

The other reason is that I've noticed (after paying for my daughter to come back to the UK for a hiliday, from Oz, that for the same flights, Oz prices are much higher. Checked again today, and even with exchange rates varying etc, it still seems cheaper to buy flights from the UK. Just my experience!

If you can send me a URL, or post it here, re 2005 form, i'd be very interested.

I'll say again how impressed I was with the service from Perth Immigration!

Cheers, Chris

Guest spursno1

Hi Chrisbeckett Here is site www.immi.gov.au and type in bridging visa 1005 and you can print all details there-it is same form for when you apply for a bridging visa B I think i said form 2005 it is definately 1005

If you want more help in filling please contact me again

Spursno1

Guest dundazi

Fantastic Chris Hope on the horizon..... what does stand out that dealing with Perth....... in Perth is the way to go where in Perth did you go to? I think what we will do is is go in on the ETA and do a Housesit and then apply for the 804..as you did.

Have you yet been asked for your assurer to pay the $5000 and $2000 support bonds ?

or

Is this at a later date..(I am confused as to when they require it) if it is when the 804 is granted then that would be 7 years off

or

does something happen in the meantime..

At what stage do you have to have medicals and X rays and police clearances.

It feels to me that if you get a bridging visa it means you are permanent in Au in point of fact but are going through the waiting list till granted therefore needing a Bridging visa to get out then get back but with the backup of a long term multi trip visa.

I suppose presuming when the medicals are passed etc again when do you do them...

Do you also maybe get a case officer who deals with each application.

so complicated.

Where in the U.K. are you we are in Somerset it would be nice to meet up and talk about what the procedures are...

take care and thanks for your input.

We went in last year but made the mistake of a mult trip visa but was told emphatically in Brisbane cannot apply for the 804 while it was current so returned until it ran out and hoping to get an ETA and start again.

Guest dundazi

Hi Spurs no 1 great news that your wife was able to get permission to work at what stage did she apply for that...... when you applied for the 804......... or afterwards..

We are still unsure when you say...when the visa is granted......at what stage is that ......the beginning when you apply and a bridging visa is issued .....or later when medicals are done..........or later 7/8 hence......

When it is....granted I would presume "Your In"" and can relax..hmmmmm... so glad to hear all is going well..Maureen and David

So my mum and dad in law are on hols here for 3 months they go back in December they want to be able to come and go as they wish staying here for most of the time how do they go for a visa I've heard of a bridging visa that lasts up until they could get an aged parent visa they're both 67 Also anyone know how much of a bond will have to be put in place first? 3 out of 4 of their children are here in Perth as well as all the grandchildren. How does that work with holiday insurance too?

Guest spursno1

Hi Dundazi i arrved in Perth early April on a tourist visa and waited for a few weeks and submitted my 804 application.I had a reply in a couple of weeks saying they had received it and they granted us a A bridging visa at the same time-this allows you to remain in Australia until the granting of a permanent residency and your tourist visa ceases. They then informed me that we would get a case officer appointed in about a year.Once they have gone through your application and if all in order it is then medicals follow and assurance of support does not come about until near to granting of visa.Now if you want to go back to u.k for any reason visit immi office and submit bridging visa B(form 1005)do not say for a holiday but any other reason ie family illness,sorting out any property etc.As regards applying for permission to work again fill out 1005 and be careful of your reason why you want to work ie if you cannot sell a property say you have tried renting with no luck and you were relying on interest from sale to get along Also say your sponser is fully committed with their mortgage etc.You have to submit your financial status ie pensions etc so obviously the money you have left over will be very small!!!!!!!!! I applied a couple of months after submitting 804 application GOOD LUCK contact me if you want help Spursno1

Guest spursno1

Hi Paulswin I think you cannot undertake on behalf of your parents Immi will want their visa number,passport etc and you have to do it in person -it's no hastle for them once here.If you try and do all for them they will realise it was their intention to sneak in on a tourist visa and try to stop here ona 804 visa.The best thing for you is let them arrive and after long discussions with you they then decide they want to live here permanently-much better than trotting along on the day after their arrival-they havent anything to worry about as their tourist visa will still be in force good luck Spursno1

Guest chrisbeckett
Hi Chrisbeckett Here is site www.immi.gov.au and type in bridging visa 1005 and you can print all details there-it is same form for when you apply for a bridging visa B I think i said form 2005 it is definately 1005

If you want more help in filling please contact me again

Spursno1

OK will look it up, and seek your advice! - just home from 37 hours travelling, unexpected delays in Hong-Kong!

Guest chrisbeckett
Fantastic Chris Hope on the horizon..... what does stand out that dealing with Perth....... in Perth is the way to go where in Perth did you go to? I think what we will do is is go in on the ETA and do a Housesit and then apply for the 804..as you did.

Have you yet been asked for your assurer to pay the $5000 and $2000 support bonds ?

or

Is this at a later date..(I am confused as to when they require it) if it is when the 804 is granted then that would be 7 years off

or

does something happen in the meantime..

At what stage do you have to have medicals and X rays and police clearances.

It feels to me that if you get a bridging visa it means you are permanent in Au in point of fact but are going through the waiting list till granted therefore needing a Bridging visa to get out then get back but with the backup of a long term multi trip visa.

I suppose presuming when the medicals are passed etc again when do you do them...

Do you also maybe get a case officer who deals with each application.

so complicated.

Where in the U.K. are you we are in Somerset it would be nice to meet up and talk about what the procedures are...

take care and thanks for your input.

We went in last year but made the mistake of a mult trip visa but was told emphatically in Brisbane cannot apply for the 804 while it was current so returned until it ran out and hoping to get an ETA and start again.

CHRIS Here: Dealing with your points - we were worried about the 3 month stay on ETA, in that our bridging visa wouldn't come through in time...as it happened no problems.

Perth Immi is really friendly. If you visit there, as you come out of the main train station, turn right - Wellington St - and the Immi office is about half a mile up the road - 3 stops on the free CAT bus, right next to the "Harbour" Mall - where there is a carpark if you're driving. Dead easy to find. They were quite happy to override the ETA end-date, within 5 minutes, so that the 804 became effective THEN & NOW, and although the Help line gave me the same advice as you - ie whilst you had a current ETA, you couldn't apply for an 804, and any 804 deposits you might have made (we had) would be invalidated by applying for another ETA to get back in - this was pretty unsettling! The actual Perth office basically said that this was wrong advice (shan't quote the words actually used!!) and just sorted it all out for us.

Bonds - I believe, someone else can disagree, that these become payable (refundable if not needed, after 2 years) when the permanent visa comes through - ie in donkeys' years. Same with Police and medical stuff. The official website says you should get a Case Officer in 6 months, when the process "really" starts, but again, I'm told that due to restraints it can be 2+ years before ANYTHING happens! Apparently the medical consists of little more than an Xray. AGAIN - if anybody knows different., please correct me! Obviously nobodys health gets better in the waiting period, but it could be so long in the future, I'm not going to worry about it!

We live in Norfolk, but (and as a newbie I'm not sure how) I'm happy to email you if you can get your address to me, and/or Skype you to talk details!

Cheers, Chris

Guest chrisbeckett
So my mum and dad in law are on hols here for 3 months they go back in December they want to be able to come and go as they wish staying here for most of the time how do they go for a visa I've heard of a bridging visa that lasts up until they could get an aged parent visa they're both 67 Also anyone know how much of a bond will have to be put in place first? 3 out of 4 of their children are here in Perth as well as all the grandchildren. How does that work with holiday insurance too?

Hi Paul - The "A" visa is good for as long as it takes to get Permanent - but the Bridging "B" allows you to travel multiple times. The only thing I can add is that it costs $125, annually renewable, given 2 weeks notice, and covers the whole family (I previously understood it to be $125 per person, not so, if they apply on the same form) We used the phrase - and it was true - "to sort out domestic affairs, eg sell house etc" which was accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

someone earlier posted the link to www.immi.gov.au .... look up Parent Visas.... This is what you need to read for 804 visas..........you'll get lots of useful pointers on here but you need the background info to understand it all. The $5000 & $2000 is the cost of the .actual Visas your parents will be applying for- Bridging Visas only come into effect once they've made the formal application for the 804....

Guest spursno1

Hi Freesia do not get confuse with different types of visa.Once you have applied for a 804 aged parent visa(the cost for two persons in May2012 was $2960)might have gone up a little now.The immi issue you with a bridging visa A-no extra charge.This supercedes your tourist visa and allows you to stay in oz until granted.Now if you want to leave oz for any reason go to immi office(mine is in Perth) and make an application on form 1006 stating reasons ie sorting out house sale or family problems It cost $125 and lasts for 1 year and they insert your B visa in your passport there and then-takes about 15/20 mins this allows you exit and re-entry to and from Oz good luck Spurs no1

• 5 months later...

[h=2]Relinquishing a 457 Visa in Favour of an Aged Parent Visa (804)[/h]

We have been granted an Aged Parent Visa (804 bridging) but my husband still holds a (substantive visa) 457.

We want to switch to the Parent 804.

Two questions:

Can we do this whilst still on a parent bridging visa (804), rather than a full visa?

Will my husband still be able to work on a (bridging) parent visa, as he was when on a 457?

Thanks in anticipation

Archived