DILEMMA... shipping quotes coming in AAARGHH

Guest sheila1971

Guest sheila1971

Hi Guys,

Really need some help- had Anglo, doree bonner and excess international in last week to give quotes for shipping.

Been told will need 850 cu ft in a 20 ft container.

Costs coming in at over £4300......is this about right?:chatterbox:

If it is not sure we can ship stuff!!!! but need to as looking at cost of goods in Oz would be expensive to replace everything......

Are there any 'budget' companies any of you have used and could recommend at all? Really need to get this figure down somehow as have also to get dog over!

We are more than happy to pack ourseles, but none of the above companies were up for that.:arghh:

Please guys, any advice very gratefully received.

hi there we are currently using white & company at the mo our stuff is at sea and we paid 3,700 with insurance of 500 and the service in the uk was fab just have to let you know when it arrives here

alot of people on here have used crown as well and say they are very good xx

might be worth phoning up the companies and saying i got a better quote and they beat it or match it

good luck

carole x

Guest gizzmo888
Hi Guys,

Really need some help- had Anglo, doree bonner and excess international in last week to give quotes for shipping.

Been told will need 85 cu ft in a 20 ft container.

Costs coming in at over £4300......is this about right?:chatterbox:

If it is not sure we can ship stuff!!!! but need to as looking at cost of goods in Oz would be expensive to replace everything......

Are there any 'budget' companies any of you have used and could recommend at all? Really need to get this figure down somehow as have also to get dog over!

We are more than happy to pack ourseles, but none of the above companies were up for that.:arghh:

Please guys, any advice very gratefully received.

Hi

We got quotes from PSS, Crown and Doree Bonner above all we went for Crown - not the cheapest but service door to door is all Crown and not by a third party at the other edn.

We booked a 20Ft container also and price around the same - but worth ringing your preferred supplier to get them down on price.

Good luck

We used Britannia. They were $500 cheaper than anyone else. They did a brilliant job, advised us on what we could and could not bring, arranged the whole thing door to door and.....packed it so well not a single thing was broken.

Guest sheila1971

Can i ask what volume you shipped and what price you paid if you don't mind???? Got quotes coming back at over £4k for between 700-850 cu feet?????

Guest gizzmo888

Hi we are shipping 940 cu feet for £4200 - includes inspection fees in Oz - when you decide who you book with check to see if they include the inspection fee.

we are shpping lots of small items so there is more packaging of boxes rather than big pieces of furniture - hope this helps

We used Crown and were very happy with the service they gave both UK and here in Oz.

As someone already mentioned they arent the cheapest but when its your wordly goods they are ''looking after'' sometimes cheapest isnt always the best.

Always check what is included in the quote as some companys dont include everything like Crown do and you could end up with an unexpected bill when your things arrive here.

Cal x

Guest sheila1971
We had a 20 fooy container it cost 3,200 and we paid about 350 insurance

sounds good!!! Did you fill the container? Also, whendid you ship your stuff? Been told all shipping costs went up as of 1st March, typical!

Hi Sheila

I have had the joy of doing this over the past week! Four companies and a range of quotes from 750-950 cubic feet (for same amount of stuff) and costing between £3,600 to £3,900 plus insurance. We were hoping to keep costs under £4000 (to include the ins) :cry:

We also had quotes off each for a smaller load of around 200 cubic feet - still no nearer making a decision :no: Hope you have more lucK than us!

Guest sheila1971
Hi Sheila

I have had the joy of doing this over the past week! Four companies and a range of quotes from 750-950 cubic feet (for same amount of stuff) and costing between £3,600 to £3,900 plus insurance. We were hoping to keep costs under £4000 (to include the ins) :cry:

We also had quotes off each for a smaller load of around 200 cubic feet - still no nearer making a decision Hope you have more lucK than us!

Hi there

Have now booked a few more for quotes as first 2 over £4000, which we cannot afford, PSS quoted over phone,very helpful and so far very reasonable and also said they would take some off if any quotes came in cheaper than them.:biggrin:

We are also taking the dog and asked the company i liked best if they could do it any cheaper and they said they would try, if you don't ask!!!!

Let us know what you decide. When are you going and where to?:cool:

Hi there

Have now booked a few more for quotes as first 2 over £4000, which we cannot afford, PSS quoted over phone,very helpful and so far very reasonable and also said they would take some off if any quotes came in cheaper than them.:biggrin:

We are also taking the dog and asked the company i liked best if they could do it any cheaper and they said they would try, if you don't ask!!!!

Let us know what you decide. When are you going and where to?:cool:

We're off to Brissy on the 30th June and can't wait! :jiggy:

This shipping thingy is the only major decision hanging over us now! I'll be glad when we have decided exactly what we are doing - the prices are scary though !

We have had a few quotes in so far and the gap for a 40ft container ranges up to £1800 between the 3 quotes we have had so far and doesn't include Custom/Inspection fee at the other end!

Hope we get better ones soon from remaining companies yet to quote (we asked for 6 overall)

Guest sheila1971

Good news, one company knocked £100 off so cheapest now £3500 excl insurance, (think going to look at percival lettoon ?spelling for this).

The company i wanted to use for Cola, (the dog!) knocked £50 off their quote today, so things are looking up!!!

Have to book flights this weekend so can apply for OAA and keep fingers crossed :wideeyed:

Still waiting on a couple quotes so you never know may get a nice surprise; doubt it tho!

Guest KerryT

We've got a quote from Pickfords (again, one company door to door) for 1545 cu feet volume at £4950. Insurance is 2.5% of the insurable value on top. I doubt they will be the cheapest by any means, but the service is supposed to be good??

Guest sheila1971
We've got a quote from Pickfords (again, one company door to door) for 1545 cu feet volume at £4950. Insurance is 2.5% of the insurable value on top. I doubt they will be the cheapest by any means, but the service is supposed to be good??

Hi We got a quote from them yesterday, no not the cheapest and can't say I was particularly impressed by the person that came, appeared in a rush and almost off hand at times.....not for us. PSS and Bonner have really impressed me so far and prices competetive.:twitcy:

Guest pablofet1

We have also just had shipping guys in and the price is coming in at £3700 for a full container. I intend to try to get the price down a little :biggrin:

My hubbie and i were chatting about maybe not taking everything over but when we started working out the price of replacing everything for insurance purposes we very quickly realised that if we didn't take our worldly goods it would cost us a fortune to re buy.

Also when you consider things like bedding and towels etc that are known to be much more expensive and not as good quality in Oz you can buy here and pack in the container for future use.

Mel

Hi We got a quote from them yesterday, no not the cheapest and can't say I was particularly impressed by the person that came, appeared in a rush and almost off hand at times.....not for us. PSS and Bonner have really impressed me so far and prices competetive.:twitcy:

Hmm - mixed thoughts on Pickfords :nah:

We had four companies out - they all knew we were after quote for full house and separate quote for smaller load of mainly personal stuff. All were fine with this by phone and on arrival - with the exception of Pickfords! The atmosphere immediately got frosty when I 'reminded' him I needed the smaller quote too! To top it off - funnily enough - the quote for the smaller load was miraculously invisible when their quote came through! Other companies were all fine with it :yes: Doree Bonner and Crown are my fave's so far!

Hi folks,

I did this last month and our container is on its way as we are already in oz. I think I got 4 quotes, which PSS were the cheapest (and included loading the container at our house, so we would know exactly how much we could fit in, as we knew we were going to be tight). As it happened, PSS couldnt do it in the end due to timescales, so we went for Anglo. Had an excellent service so far. Like one other member here, also REALLY didnt like the Pickfords guy. He massively over estimated the amount whereas the others were about right. However, each of the companies thought a 20ft container wouldnt fit my car and all our items in it. WE'd measured the car etc and were pretty convinced it would all go in - which it did, except one item :( So we were right, and they were wrong!! Our quote, inclusive of quarantine inspections etc was £3,600 from PSS and around £4,000 from Anglo, who we chose to use. The others all came in higher than that. I also used Percival Letton for insurance and was much cheaper than the companies.

As to the person enquiring about bedding - the bedding is beautiful here, I would say nicer than the UK and not particularly more expensive. There are heaps of places to chose from - and also, a trip to Ikea!

Hope that helps

Guest sheila1971
We have also just had shipping guys in and the price is coming in at £3700 for a full container. I intend to try to get the price down a little :biggrin:

My hubbie and i were chatting about maybe not taking everything over but when we started working out the price of replacing everything for insurance purposes we very quickly realised that if we didn't take our worldly goods it would cost us a fortune to re buy.

Also when you consider things like bedding and towels etc that are known to be much more expensive and not as good quality in Oz you can buy here and pack in the container for future use.

Mel

Hi Mel...Just out of curiousity which company was that quote from, sounds very reasonable!!!:idea:

Guest red back

Excess international were great and beat all the other prices we had... All much of a muchness until you get the breakages at this end!!! Consider your insurance and add all the items you want covering on the list!!!

If you insure for 10k and only list two items, then thats all your covered for!!

Guest pablofet1
Hi Mel...Just out of curiousity which company was that quote from, sounds very reasonable!!!:idea:

Anglo, very impressed with them. Our friends used them several years back and were very pleased with the service. Have just checked my quote again to be sure...... quote is £3800 but im going to try to get down by £100. Still a good price i think even if they wont budge on price:biggrin: Pss came in at £3468 but i really didnt like them. I have been told they use a lot of subbies so the service isnt so good. John Mason came in at £3460, we were also quite impessed with them but have decided to go with gut feeling so Anglo it is.

Good luck

Mel

Archived