Si T

18 year old daughter thinking of taking a gap year

Some advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.

My 18 year old daughter is to be included on our application for a 176 visa on the strength of her still being in full time education. When I make my application is approximately six weeks time she will still be an A-level student and so eligible to be included on the application.

This evening she has decided that she may decide to take a gap year instead of going to uni straight away. My dilemma is whether she will be eligible to be included in the application if she decides to do this. Like I say, my application will be made in April and she is not planning to make a decision until August ish.

Which date would be relevant for inclusion?

Cheers

Si

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.

Guest china

I'm no expert, but is she applying for university, because if she has a deferred place, i.e. apply for a place for the year after next, then she will still be in education. Even if she is not planning on going it might be worthwhile applying, I applied for a deferred place when I wanted to take a gap year, in the end I decided to take a few more years out, and jsut called the university befor eI was due to start and revoked my place. Apart from the UCAS application fee (approx £50) it doesn't cost anything - so could it be a loophole for you?

I hope this helps, China

I'm no expert, but is she applying for university, because if she has a deferred place, i.e. apply for a place for the year after next, then she will still be in education. Even if she is not planning on going it might be worthwhile applying, I applied for a deferred place when I wanted to take a gap year, in the end I decided to take a few more years out, and jsut called the university befor eI was due to start and revoked my place. Apart from the UCAS application fee (approx £50) it doesn't cost anything - so could it be a loophole for you?

I hope this helps, China

Thanks very much

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.

My 18 year old daughter is to be included on our application for a 176 visa on the strength of her still being in full time education. When I make my application is approximately six weeks time she will still be an A-level student and so eligible to be included on the application.

This evening she has decided that she may decide to take a gap year instead of going to uni straight away. My dilemma is whether she will be eligible to be included in the application if she decides to do this. Like I say, my application will be made in April and she is not planning to make a decision until August ish.

Cheers

Si

I would take great care with this, I believe she needs to be dependent at the time of visa decision, not the time of visa application.

Cheers

Si

If she is still at home realying on you for food ect not in full time work then I cant see a problem.

If she is still at home realying on you for food ect not in full time work then I cant see a problem.

Yes, but why would his daughter take a year off to sit around at home eating his food though. :wink:

I don't think this is a show stopper, but I think it needs care.

Guest VickyMel

Again I don't know - hopefully someone who knows for sure will be along soon.

I wonder if what she is doing in the gap year may make a difference and think that it is the time the decision is made that matters.

If she was to undertake work in teh gap year - would she still be classified as dependent on you. If she is travelling and relying on funds supplied by you probably.

I think that you should look into it carefully and probably get expert advice to make sure you keep all the boxes ticked.

VickyMel