Can children attend school with temporary resident visas?

Wrightx6

Hi I am thinking of applying for a temporary resident visa just because I think it will be quicker - then apply for permanent residency once in Perth. We have 4 children so I need to know can the children attend school with temp residency ( without paying??). Is the situation the same for primary and secondary?

yes. my son is at a state secondary school and we are on a temp visa in victoria. we do have to pay for books and a fee (cost about $1000 this year in total) which is the norm in these parts - it gets more expensive the older they get.

• 3 months later...
Guest budmanoz

Hi

I was very encouraged to read post about studying on temp visa

my wife and son are currently on bridging visa awaiting temp visa 820 leading to perm visa

I have been inquiring about schooling

I may have to pay international fee's while on bridging visa and was also told that when visa granted will be temp resident and will have to continue paying international fee's

We are in Melbourne if anyone can offer any information or help on this matter it would be greatly appreciated thx in advance

Hi

I was very encouraged to read post about studying on temp visa

my wife and son are currently on bridging visa awaiting temp visa 820 leading to perm visa

I have been inquiring about schooling

I may have to pay international fee's while on bridging visa and was also told that when visa granted will be temp resident and will have to continue paying international fee's

We are in Melbourne if anyone can offer any information or help on this matter it would be greatly appreciated thx in advance

Temporary residents pay fees in NSW and ACT. In ACT they are international student fees in NSW they are $4.5k pa per child. Otherwise you pay the voluntary contributions that everyone pays

Bridging visas take on the same limitations as the original visa so if you are on a bridging visa after a student visa then you will pay international fees.

You will have to pay up front for university education if your children are older though. You will get domestic rates as a pr but not the ability to defer them like citizens can. They would also not be entitled to loans.

Guest heather3375

yes , we are here on a temp visa and our son goes to a state secondry school NOR ...no issues at all!!

Hi I am thinking of applying for a temporary resident visa just because I think it will be quicker - then apply for permanent residency once in Perth. We have 4 children so I need to know can the children attend school with temp residency ( without paying??). Is the situation the same for primary and secondary?

Guest budmanoz

Thx for the reply's

am feeling a little better knowing wont have to cough up $16,000 plus for next 2 years school fee's

is still $200+ per week while waiting for partner visa to be completed

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for spouse visa to be granted?

again thanks for reply's to last question

Guest Woodmill

You need to check with the department of immigration. Some temp visas DO require you to pay international school fees but some don't

• 1 year later...

Hello there, I am new here. My hubby is on Study Visa and we have 2 schooling children. May I know if we are entitled to free primary school education or we need to pay full fees in any government/state school?

Secondly, must we start the school in the 1st school term which is end Jan/early Feb or can we delay it a little by a few weeks?

Hello there, I am new here. My hubby is on Study Visa and we have 2 schooling children. May I know if we are entitled to free primary school education or we need to pay full fees in any government/state school?

Secondly, must we start the school in the 1st school term which is end Jan/early Feb or can we delay it a little by a few weeks?

No you will pay full international fees for your children - usually about $10k pa per child (depends on the state) and you will pay international fees in private schools as well. You dont have to start them at school at the beginning of the year, just when you are settled.

in NSW, do you pay the voluntary contributions on top of $4.5k and if so, how much is it?

thanks

Cal

Voluntary contributions are voluntary so no one actually needs to pay them - they vary by school but probably usually around $70 - $100 a term. It's an interesting question though about whether they ask you to pay them - probably because schools use them for day to day consumable stuff - but you can choose not to pay it if you dont want to.

It depends on the visa. 457 holders don't pay fees in WA but some other temp visas do. What is the visa number and when I get to work today I will find out. I work in a school.

Archived