bubba911

AQIS Charges when leaving Oz? Really?

Has anyone heard of a charge when exporting goods 'home' if they have been in the country less than 12 months. We know of people who are considering going home having only been here a few months and were told by a shipping company that they'd have to pay taxes and charges because the goods had been in Oz less than 12 months?

This sounded nonsense to me but I'm not an expert?

Any thoughts?

Yes i was told that to by a particular shipping company, but it might be if goods are over 6 months old, as she told me i would be ok

Tania x

Is looking forward to the future and all what it holds:biggrin:

Guest sarebear

Hi, yes that's what a shipping firm told me recently. However, if the goods have been used or at least look like they have been, then i don't see how they can prove that they are less than 12 months old. The shipping firm i had round didn't think i would have a problem with my stuff which is only 5 months old, they just said don't buy any more new stuff! Maybe a small white lie is in order....lets say my stuff is 13 months old! The fridge has certainly had some use & could easily pass for that age!

Has anyone heard of a charge when exporting goods 'home' if they have been in the country less than 12 months. We know of people who are considering going home having only been here a few months and were told by a shipping company that they'd have to pay taxes and charges because the goods had been in Oz less than 12 months?

This sounded nonsense to me but I'm not an expert?

Any thoughts?

Guest guest30038

Be careful. Many Oz brands are not sold in the Uk and your visa shows date of entry.......hence a rough idea of how old the goods are if they were bought here.........honesty is the best policy........if they don't ask though, you don't have to tell 'em :biggrin:

kev

I think there is misunderstanding, I was not asking about newly purchased 'stuff' but the stuff that was brought into the country from the UK only a few months ago.

Guest sarebear

hmmm.....yes i see your point. I'll keep it zipped unless they ask :wink

Be careful. Many Oz brands are not sold in the Uk and your visa shows date of entry.......hence a rough idea of how old the goods are if they were bought here.........honesty is the best policy........if they don't ask though, you don't have to tell 'em :biggrin:

kev

Guest sarebear

Oh, i see. Well, then it sounds like nonsense to me too, but i'm no expert either! Surely that can't be right????? I brought some furniture with me 5 months ago & none of the shipping companies i have spoken to have made any reference to that furniture, only the things i have bought here in Oz.

I think there is misunderstanding, I was not asking about newly purchased 'stuff' but the stuff that was brought into the country from the UK only a few months ago.

Guest chris955

AQIS are the quarantine service so I can't see what you would be paying for.

Guest guest30038

In that case, no. It was checked coming in and AQIS aren't interested in what's going out (generally) That's the concern of the country receiving the goods.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

I suggest contacting the Customs Department.

Contact Customs and Border Protection

Customs and Border Protection offices mailing addresses

Enquiries

• 1300 363 263
  • +61 2 6275 6666 (outside Australia)

8am to 5pm excluding national public holidays

I recently returned to the UK after 11 months in Australia, I had to supply a letter to customs via my shipping agent explaining why I was returning within 12 months. Just sent a short letter saying returning for family reasons and all was OK.

Well, I shipped 3 tea boxes over from the UK. They are still unopened 8 months later and have the original inventory to prove what was in them . I can't imagine for one second that I would be charged to ship them back again.