any meets in essex

Guest the greenwoods

Guest the greenwoods

hi i'm in chelmsford essex any meetings going on in this area, need some help making me mind up. carl

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdal

Hi Carl

Have you started any of the process of the move yet i.e. TRA or Visa application?

We are in process of putting in our TRA application.

My OH is in Chelmsford at the moment picking our kids up from Dukes, its the under 17 night so hope they enjoyed it.

Kim

Guest the greenwoods

hi kim

my two are to young for dukes 10 and 7 both tucked up in bed . no we have not started yet , we have contacted the australian visa bureau and read all there info , but we still cant decide wot to do . where abouts are you going .

carl

Guest kdal

Carl, Not sure yet Husband and kids (13 & 15) they fancy Brisbane and my sister lives in Adelaide. Decisions ah!!

We visited Australia over Christmas and new year and to be honest we wasnt looking to move there, but after spending nearly a couple of months there we loved it and wondered why on earth we hadn't visited before.

Our children although you would have thought at an awkward age to move can't wait to go it's all they talk about. So hope we pass the TRA and get this visa.

OH is Plumber, Refrigeration engineer & Air con.

What part are you looking at in Oz?

Kim

Guest the greenwoods

we have some freinds that have just moved to perth, i have an aunt in brisbane and in nz but dont want to go there. we have never been there ,my dad said if him and my mum had'nt lost there bottle many years ago i would have been born out there . sorry it takes me so long to get back to you i'm slow at tiping , and having a bit of trouble geting around this site. i'm a carpenter and denise works in a cresh and walks dogs.

Guest kdal

You and Denise should be fine there as I believe Australia not only have Carpenters on the list but Creche people too!! So if you went on your skill then maybe you wife would also get a job when you get there quickly.

My Dad is the same he regrets not making the move now, and this is one of the reasons I dont want to miss the opportunity - I really don't want any regrets, and we are treating it as a life experience - if we come back to England then at least we have tried it!

I know some of the other areas have had a meet up so it would be good if Essex did the same. We will see who else is interested!

Don't worry about the slow typing, my OH don't even know how to log on here!!!!!(lol)

Guest kelly

hi carl, we are in dagenham, not that far from you, hubby is a carpenter too, we are in the process of getting our tra stuff together, looking at going to brisbane,

kelly

HI,

The Greenwoods we are from Chelmsford we used to live in the Avenues, where do you live there, we are in N.S.W and came here 7 months ago, just go for it, your kids are still young which is good as they should settle easier, my two are teenagers but have done really well considering their ages 17 and 13, they used to go to St. John Payne school, the only thing that pees me off here is the job situation and I do think your age is against you here on the Central Coast anyway< I am 45 by the way and I never considered that was too old until I came here as I try to stay as young as possible in my mind (Don't we all), I really miss my friends and family though but that is only natural, we had never been to Australia before and just took the plunge. Good luck and keep in touch Frances. My son used to go to the Dukes Disco and loved it, he really misses the nightlife in Chelmsford as there are so many bars there now!:wacko::chatterbox:

Guest kdal

Hi Everyone

We used to live in South Woodham Ferrers not to far from Chelmsford.

Kelly has your OH any contacts for jobs yet? and when are you planning on going?

Frances interesting what you have to say about being too old what careers have you and your OH? That is the worry isn't it the work situation!

My boys really enjoyed Dukes last night, and that is also a little bit of a worry as I wonder what is there for teenagers in Oz, do they have these teenage nights ? I don't recall seeing any clubs but I suppose there are but in the busy areas.

If you don't mind me asking Frances how are you children settling with friends etc.. and what do they do in their spare time? Mine will be 16 and 14 when and if we get there next year.

Speak soon

Hi Kdal, Sorry I am sure that is not your name, My children have settled well really the 13 year old has started school and settled brilliantly, Stephen my son is 17 and he really misses his friends, the nightlife here on the coast isn't great well not like the UK anyway, I am not sure if it is good or bad but I think the kids get bored and they seem to close down the clubs when the oldies start to complain, which is a shame as they need these places to go at that age, they all seem to think here that the kids don't drink until they are 18 but i am sure they do on the beaches and parks etc just like they do in the UK. Stephen has made friends at College and he is very sociable so he does go to the pubs and places and seems to have a good time he is going to Sydney this weekend on a Cruiser to a 21st with someone from College and looking forward to it, so there are things for them to do if they go looking for it, and the same for us aswell you need to get out there to meet people. I normally work in Admin type work and I was working for Chelmsford Borough Council before I came here I had a lovely job there and they offered me my job back the other week but unfortunately i couldn't work from home here, I can't think why!!! i still keep in touch with them there, my husband works in the car industry as a sprayer, he was a Manager in the UK but has gone backwards to doing spraying here but he is always looking for jobs nearer to home as he has to travel about an hour each way and leaves early, which is what a lot of people do here, i have to get up at half four for my lovely job

in a Nursing home and I am working in the Kitchen wearing a lovely paper hat and cleaning, it is not great but keeps the pennies coming in, but I hate getting up so early as we are not early to bed people like they are here. Your children are similar ages to mine my son was 16 when we first came here and I know that given the chance he would go back to see his friends tomorrow, but to be honest we all feel like that it is only natural when you are starting your life over again Frances

Guest kdal

Hiya Francis, My name is Kim (sorry I didn't sign of with it).

You must have been pretty fab at your job in Chelmsford if they have offered you to work from Oz!! Such a shame the Ozzie's can't see it. My OH keeps telling me not to worry and I will walk into a job no prob, but he is a real positive thinker and i'm not so positive. Like you my work is generally admin, although I have been a Director of Personnel for 4 years now, but to be honest it's alot of headache and work load and not sure I want it again, I just want a nice little admin job (suppose everyone does though!)

Glad to hear that your children are settling in and that your sons of to have some fun, as I know I loved my younger years and don't want them to miss out.

Funnily enough a friend of a friend their son went to St JOhn Payne School, they went to Melbourne in March and returned already! Their son would be 16/17 years old now as he was due to take his exams this May but left to go to live in Australia.

Bet you look lovely in your nice paper hat!! :biglaugh: Good to know that the Aussies follow of the Food & Hygiene regs etc though! And there is only one 4:30 in my day and thats the PM one!! I'm not good a getting up before 6:30am I'm afraid.

I noticed when we came to Oz that everyone goes to bed early but then I suppose it gets light early too so you need to get your sleep in. The only thing I didn't like about Brisbane is that it was dark so early, and I do enjoy a nice summers evening.

I know it's early days for you , but do you think you will stay in Oz, and do you think your children would like to stay in Oz too!! But just come back and visit friends?

So nice to hear from you

Gd Luck

Kim

p.s. I bet your be off to bed soon then (lol)

Hi again Kim,

I was joking when I said they offered me a job from here at the council (I wished), I cpoke to my old Manager yesterday on email and she thinks she is coming out here in December so it would be good to see her, but I think everyone wants to come at christmas:arghh: but it would be good to see familiar faces especially at that time. Yes I do think we will stay in Australia I don't see the point of going through all that you have to do to go home unless of course you are really unhappy, then maybe, I hope the children want to stay here as I wouldn't really want them to go home but who knows my son is 17 now and he may want to go back one day, but even if he does I think he would probably come back, even though I get fed up with the job situation I will plod on until something else turns up I have to think positive as this is never an easy thing to do. What is your friends sons name Stephen probably knows them? so they didn't like Melbourne we were thinking of going there aswell, my friends sister lives there, have they come back to Chelmsford, what school do your children go to? where are you thinking of going to in Oz it is good to speak to you take care Francesxxxxxxxxxxxx:v_SPIN:

Guest kdal

Hi Frances

The boy that has just moved back his name is Josh, not sure abt his surname but think they used to log on here under costworth123 or something like that. It's shame that they moved back so quickly and i'm not sure why but i'm sure they have their reasons. They lived in Maldon. My boys got to William De Ferrers, in SWF and so far can't wait for the move toOz.

LOL I thought you were serious abt the council job :biglaugh:, I really do hope you get something soon, Fingers crossed for you!

Not sure were we are going yet it will prob be Brisbane but could be Adelaide. When we came to Oz the boys loved Brisbane so it might be an idea to settle where they are going to be happy and I should imagine that the work situation could be better there too.

Where exactly are you living?

Got to go to work now, so catch up soon

Kimx

p.s. Sorry The Greenwards as I know it's your thread, you may know some places we are talking about feel free to join in the conversation.. Perhaps we can all meet up in Oz when we get there

Guest the greenwoods

Hi there Kdal you spoke to my husband Carl the other night. We're not quite sure which part of Oz to go to yet if we do come out as he has family in Wynnum, West Queensland and our friends moved to Perth about a month ago. We really need to go where he can get a carpentary job. Still very much undecided at the moment. I know deep down it will be great for the children and for us come to that but it is the thought of leaving family and friends at home here. Anyway, we're still researching and looking and very conscious of the fact that this is really our last chance because of our ages! Denise.

Guest kdal

Hi Denise

Think so many people feel that way about missing family and friend and that is half the reason that so many people return to the UK too!

But as you say, time is against us too and it's a now or never situation for us. Our two boys want to live in Australia so much and my eldest wants to study marine biology or something to do with reptiles, so Australia will be better for him. We thought if we could apply for the visa now and get there on Darens merits and then at least the boys have the opportunity to live in Oz, as in the future it may be difficult for them to get in on their own.

So we will do the hard work now for them and then they have more opportunities!

When we visited Australia, I must confess I did wonder why we had never been before then perhaps we would be there already!

You never know when we get there to actually live it may not be what we expected, but hey Denise we are only here once and give yourself and your children that life time experience!!

Are you getting any closer to a decision? If I were you I know it costs you but get the ball rolling anyway.

Gd luck and keep in touch and let us know what your upto?

Kimx

Guest Curlysoo

I only joined this site yesterday and i stumble across a thread talking about Chelmsford!! ..... coz WE LIVE THERE!!! ..LOL!..I am married to an Ozzie and we are moving out to Sydney next year ...though not sure what month yet.

I would be interested in an Essex Meet .... just to have a general chat about how people are doing and what they intent to do once they do the "big move".

Sue ....X

Guest KP Nuts

Hi, we are also from Essex, (Romford) and just to confuse things more my name is also Kim, oh a roofer, i work for Sainsbury's in the personnel dept (so another admin job please). If you do have a meet can you please let us know.

At what time have you told your kids??? ours are 13, and twins of 10, thought we get the ball rolling quite away before telling them, just in case we don't get there, it's bad enough on a car journey are we there yet!!!!!

Hope to speak to you all soon:yes:

KP Nuts (Kim & Peter)

and three little nuts

Guest kdal

Hi, Denise and Mr Greenwood

Looks like you got quite a response to your thread!!:yes:

Let us all know about a meet in the future as would be good to see what everyone wants to do etc.. when in Oz.

Hi Sue, Did you OH come from Sydney? Or is work taking him there? Have you ever been before?

How exciting for you. We hope to go next year depending on Visa, and hope to be there about September time. Frances who put a post in here was from Chelmsford and she is in NSW now!

Hi Kim, We have all ready told ours and your right they keep asking when?? So we have to tell them it's subject to the visa! Our eldest son (15) goes on the internet on realestate.com.au and calls me every now and then saying "Mum come and have a look at this house with a pool, can we buy it?". So your probably right to hold off!!!

Stay in touch everyone

Kimx

Guest kelly

hi to the greenwoods, really sorry for the delay but no hubby aint got any offers yet, he has not applied for any, a chippy mate of his went over there a little while ago and said there are loads of jobs so will wait till we get there and he can look about a bit first,

hi kp nuts and welcome to pio, my nick name has always been kp nut as kp are my initials, my sister has always called me that so it was a bit funny seeing that there is another kp nut, we are in dagenham, just down the road from you,

if there any meet ups let me know and we will come,

good luck to everybody

kelly

Guest kimdownie

Hi guys

After having such a fab day yesterday at the dunstable downs get together, we would definatly be up for one in essex, so keep me posted if you decide to do one

Cheers Kim (Sorry could get confusing with 2 Kims)

Guest kdal
Hi guys

After having such a fab day yesterday at the dunstable downs get together, we would definatly be up for one in essex, so keep me posted if you decide to do one

Cheers Kim (Sorry could get confusing with 2 Kims)

Hi Kim

There are three of us, there is you and Kp nuts is Kim and then there is me

:huh: :wideeyed: That would get everyone confused!!

Glad you had a good day out, you all had lovely weather for it

Spk soon

Guest the greenwoods

hi everyone

got to say that coz i've lost track of all these names .kim you can call me carl if you want . i know i was the first to start this essex meet thing but if anyone knows of a good place to meet and wants to organize it feel free to coz i'm not much good at that sort of thing being a bloke and all that. it would be nice to put faces to all these names.

carl

Guest The Baggo's

Hi everyone! Definately up for a day out in ESSEX. As Kims says the picnic in Dunstable was a great success. Maybe think of a similar site to the one in Dunstable??

Guest Curlysoo

:) Hi to one and all ..and what a beautiful summers day it is here in England ... it is cloudy and grey and rather chilly and is now looking like rain!

Yes my OH is from Sydney, he came over here to work nearly ten years ago now, he is a computer programmer and works in the financial sector... but is longing to get back I think.

We went over to Oz last year for nearly a month, on honeymoon actually :embarrassed: and spent a few weeks in NSW ... went to the Blue Mountains, the Hunter Valley, and then travelled up to Cairns and spent some time round the barrier reef, Green Island is GORGEOUS! and the rain forests. Why do we usually only see the beaches on pictures of Oz when there is so much more to see than that? ... I think they are trying to keep quiet about the rest ! ...LOL!

Heres my confession... I live here in Essex but I have only been here a couple of years ..I am really a scouser in exile. Decided if I could live amongst people who sound like the Eastenders cast I would cope fine wiv the funny accent of lots of Australians! So I am not very familiar with Essex for a possible meeting place.

Archived