cowgirlfromhell

buying land and building a home

Hey

We- me and my Aussie boyfriend that is- are thinking about buying a plot of land and building a kit home on it..

Please can any experienced people, real estate agents, or builders, tell us the 'idiots guide' to buying land, the procedures and costs involved etc etc!!

Has anyone built a kit home before??

Id be really interested to learn of anyones experiences.

Thanks to all in advance..

Kate

TRA LODGED 10/03/2009....TRA PASSED 30/03/2009...

175 LODGED 14/04/2009...WA SS LODGED 04/05/2009...

WA SS APPROVED 30/07/2009... 176 APPROVED 08/09/2009!!!:v_SPIN:

In WA it is fairly straightforward to buy land. Either you can buy from people like landgate (gov owned) or slatterley who are creating new estates or from private owners (just search for land on the main real estate sites) and then put in an offer, you pay a holding deposit and if the offer is accepted it's then binding and you appoint a settlement agent who takes it from there. It can help having finance 'preapproved' if you need it.

Can't help with kit homes but we did look at them and I guess my question would be why a kit home? Do you intend to build it yourself? If so you need to register as an owner builder and there are insurances and things you need.

I don't know if you are aware but plumbers, electricians etc must be licenced in Wa so with some of the work even if u can Diy it would be illegal (unless it's yr trade of course) Also don't forget how hard it is to find good tradies. IMHO you may be better having a builder project manage the whole process.

There are some that do kit homes and we eventually went with Cedar Homes who build frame houses, very happy so far.

We were looking at 3 acre bush blocks near the beach and thought a kit home would be more suitable and maybe cheaper? We would have the kit home built for us.

Either that or buy a land and house package nearer the city.

Can i ask...what other costs were involved when you built your home on top of the final land and house package price they quote you?

Did you have any unexpected bills along the way?

Also how long were you working in Oz before you were able to get a mortgage?

Thanks for your time

TRA LODGED 10/03/2009....TRA PASSED 30/03/2009...

175 LODGED 14/04/2009...WA SS LODGED 04/05/2009...

WA SS APPROVED 30/07/2009... 176 APPROVED 08/09/2009!!!:v_SPIN:

Guest slowhand

Hi, There is no problem in buying land in WA, its so easy, settlement is normally 4 weeks after offer is accepted and deposit paid. Once it is accepted there is no 'gazzumping' like in the UK, the offer is final and time limits must be adhered to.

Then find a builder, depending on what type of home you want and sign up, time limits are normally set from 'after council approval'

It is straightforward over here, I have bought and sold 15 times since 1972 without any hassle on any contract.

Good luck...........

Meant to say Westpac were happy to lend to us once we had ben in our jobs 3 months

Aargh just noticed long reply with all the potential costs hasn't posted :( Might be better if you pm me with your email address PIO isn't iPhone friendly!