What on earth do I do? Sydney Rentals aarrrrrgh

Guest shy_mocha

Guest shy_mocha

I can't believe how awful trying to rent somewhere in Sydney is becoming!

I have a job waiting for me, a visa about to be approved and all I want is a small studio/one bedroom place for no more than $450 week.

This is not a problem so long as I can view the places first...but I'm in the UK awaiting my visa!

I've searched every property site I can find and all the estate agents want me to view property first. I have searched shared accomodation and either get no reply or complete conmen.

I am now at a loss, probably weeks from going to Sydney and may have to resort to spending a fortune on hotels until I can secure a place to live.

I really really don't want to do the whole hostel thing as I'll be working shifts. I'm scared that, after all of this, I will have to give up my dream and my new job.

I feel miserable :arghh:

Any tips, suggestions would be more than welcome...I'm sure there are others out there who are doing what I want to...

Thanks... X

It's going to be difficult sorting this out in the UK I am afraid. They will want references, deposits paperwork and you are battling this out in a very buoyant market where locals will just get first bite of the apple. Real estate agents out here aren't known for their patience.

Guest Guest31881

You will find you have to view property first, and fill in the paperwork. Have you thought of trying for Holiday accomodation for a few weeks first, you can normally negotiate a decent price for a 4 or 6 week stay. This is what most do when they first come over.

Guest shy_mocha

Thanks Spottydog... I'll look into this. The site also has lodges in Darlinghurst and Potts Point which is a little closer to work.

Guest shy_mocha
You will find you have to view property first, and fill in the paperwork. Have you thought of trying for Holiday accomodation for a few weeks first, you can normally negotiate a decent price for a 4 or 6 week stay. This is what most do when they first come over.

Hi Colin, Thanks for your post. It is crazy trying to get somewhere. I have looked at holiday lets, I just imagined getting over there and being all set up....more fool me!

Cheers,

Kirsty

I can't believe how awful trying to rent somewhere in Sydney is becoming!

I have a job waiting for me, a visa about to be approved and all I want is a small studio/one bedroom place for no more than $450 week.

This is not a problem so long as I can view the places first...but I'm in the UK awaiting my visa!

I've searched every property site I can find and all the estate agents want me to view property first. I have searched shared accomodation and either get no reply or complete conmen.

I am now at a loss, probably weeks from going to Sydney and may have to resort to spending a fortune on hotels until I can secure a place to live.

I really really don't want to do the whole hostel thing as I'll be working shifts. I'm scared that, after all of this, I will have to give up my dream and my new job.

I feel miserable :arghh:

Any tips, suggestions would be more than welcome...I'm sure there are others out there who are doing what I want to...

Thanks... X

I'm not sure why you'd think of not migrating just because you are having difficulty finding a permanent rental from overseas. That seems an extreme reaction. It is difficult from any country to find permanent accommodation in another country when you are not in that country. Just find a short-term corporate rental for a month and you can find your permanent place during that time once you are in Sydney.

Guest jooby

we went on www.stayz.com.au where you can rent a private home/unit/privately owned hotel room for a much more reasonable amount than hotel rates (and can rent for longer periods if available). Much better to be able to view long term rentals when you are actually here...what may look great on the website might be next to a nightclub or train line (and the agents probably won't tell you first!)

• 2 months later...
Guest samt

Hi

I moved to sydney 3 months ago, I think if you make it over here you'll find it easy to find somewhere. There is always stuff coming up on the websites, and if you don't mind sharing i've noticed on lots of lamp posts around Sydney people advertising privately for room mates.

Guest Eralc

I agree that you will struggle to find somewhere to rent before you come out here, but if you are relatively flexible about where you live and happy to go to lots of viewings as soon as you get out here, then you will probably find that you only need temporary accommodation for a very short time - we looked at a lot of houses that would have been ready for us to move into within a week of viewing.

don't worry, I'm in exactly the same situation, I even called a few agents first but they seem unwilling to help.

My only requirements are sea view and swimming pool but it seems be difficult to find anything for a reasonable price or with a reasonable bond.

Just out of interest how long does the process take from viewing the property and deciding you want it to actually getting the keys?

Guest Eralc

Ours took a fortnight, but only because the tenants were still living in the house. It would have been a week on our second choice property.

Guest nomad

Hi

We live in Melbourne now, but when we arrived , I just went to the local BIG4 Caravan Park and talked to the owner, I rented a 1 bed unit for 2 weeks.. It was loevely..

The agents that I have dealt with here are pompous and arrogant as the market is really hot (starting to cool a bit). You have to put an application in and then wait, A friend suggested putting a number in. What finally swung it for us is the contents of our bank account..

Good luck..

Guest berkandmath

hi! We're in the same situation. Young married couple, going over on a wing and a prayer end of june. Its gonna be tough and not ideal, but we're gonna book into a hostel for the first week. Get to know the place a bit, and find jobs. We're gonna try get a rental through a private advertiser through the paper or gumtree when we get there. Wiring deposits over the internet is a bad idea. And we dont like the sound of how pedantic these rental agencies seem to be.. some of the stories on here has put me right off! bUt we've just got everything crossed that'll all work out ok cos theres not much we can do til we get there!:confused:

don't worry, I'm in exactly the same situation, I even called a few agents first but they seem unwilling to help.

My only requirements are sea view and swimming pool but it seems be difficult to find anything for a reasonable price or with a reasonable bond.

Just out of interest how long does the process take from viewing the property and deciding you want it to actually getting the keys?

bonds here (NSW at least) are always 4 weeks rent.

If a property is vacant then you can generally move in really quickly. If it is the first viewing then the agent will usually get applications on the Monday morning to make a decision by cob the same day but after that it quite often depends on when you will sign the contract and pay your monies.

Archived