leaving 19yr old daughter

hillyman

I wonder how every one in this thread is going now?

Sept 2008 - we left a 19 yr old daughter and a 22 yr old behind - actually we didn't THEY chose to stay behind, they had permanent resident visas, DD had managed to get a commonwealth assisted Uni place . . . . . .

DS decided he needed to do at least a year work experience before making the move, which he did and then moved here approx a yer after us and is still here.

DD decided to go to Uni in UK, has lived with a group of friends in student houses and has just completed her teacher training, and has a job as a primary teacher starting in Sept. Her permanent res visa runs out in Dec this year and this Christmas will be the first one that she will not be with us as she will not have enough time off.

It was a very emotional time for us all in the lead up to us leaving for Oz, lots of talking and lots of respect for each others points of view. I would never have 'made' them come, it had to be their decision.

In the end hubby and I decided to give it a go, reasoning that they could just as easily end up working in a different country and this was our last chance and of course we could always go back.

Although not ideal, it has not been as bad as we thought, I speak to my DD every day, now through FaceTime so we are part of each others day, getting ready for work or bed while we speak.

Not sure if DD will ever make the move here or if DS will stay here but we do know that this is where we want to be and cannot see us ever going back to UK.

Would love to know how others have got on ? ?

Karen:wubclub:

Im in the same boat. My 18 year old daughter has decided not to come. Although she is coming out in the new year to see if she likes it. If so, she may go to uni in Oz. Have only had 1 tearful episode (from me) since we got the visa - so far. Dreading the time when we leave. I know she is an adult and has her dad here in the UK, but it is still going to be torture. x

Kids will be kids and you cant live their lives for them I reckon. 9 times out of 10 it is the kid who moves on and, as a parent, I certainly wouldnt be trekking all over the world after them. I dont know why people expect their kids to move across the world with them when they are adult (or close thereto) - one man's dream is another man's nightmare after all.

Archived