Things to be aware of with customs

KatieLB

Hi,

We've been advised by our shipping company to ensure everything is clean, no mud on trainers etc, just wondered if there are any other no-nos that we should be aware of to ensure that our stuff doesnt get grounded at customs or we get an extra charge?

Hi Katie

Customs is pretty strict so its worth giving the soles of your shoes and any outdoor gear,tools etc a spary with Jeyes fluid. The stuff sticks and the minutes customs open your container they will be able to smell it and know you have cleaned stuff.

Some commonly picked up items seem to be

Pine cones on xmas dec's/reefs etc

Dirt in treads on pushbike tyres

Soles of shoes/trainers

soil residue or dirt on garden eqipment.

Good luck

Cal x

Hi,

We've been advised by our shipping company to ensure everything is clean, no mud on trainers etc, just wondered if there are any other no-nos that we should be aware of to ensure that our stuff doesnt get grounded at customs or we get an extra charge?

We were told recently .. no dried flowers, no wicker or cane. No candles and also to check pillows for feathers. I was told by one shipping company ... goose feathers are fine - but duck are not (to do with the size apparently!)

Hi,

I would say that your stuff should be spotless, Australian customs can be very pickey and if they find anything wrong they do like to charge.

they do like to be 'picky'. I was charged $75 to have a straw beach bag and a wicker basket destroyed. And the basket was one of a set of 3, they didnt touch the other 2, thats what i mean by 'picky' lol . Oh and they didnt spot my 4 feather pillows. Mind you it took me about 5 months to find them the way the packers hid them. eventually found them in the drawers of my daughters wardrobe which we didnt unwrap for months. I thought they had disappeared in transit.

Archived