Pickfords vs Anglo Pacific

Koala Chloe

We are having real difficulty in deciding between Pickfords and Anglo Pacific for our removals, and hope someone may be able to offer any experience/advice.

The rep from Pickfords who came out was really un-dynamic, and didn't sell his company very well at all. But Pickfords get a good name on here for removals, and we used them about 10 years ago for a domestic removal and they were really good.

The rep from Anglo Pacific was really impressive, enthusiastic, and had much more of a 'can-do' attitide, nothing was too much trouble. But the reviews about AP on here are really mixed, with various posters saying not to touch them with a barge pole!

The dilemma is -

Pickfords - Un-dynamic salesperson - but the company may be good at delivering our belongings = versus = Anglo Pacific - Dynamic saleperson - but the company may not be as good at delivering our belongings.

How do we decide who to choose?

We are so unsure about which company to choose. Price is important, but all we want is peace of mind that our belongings have the best chance of getting to Oz safe and sound!

Does anyone have any positive experience with AP that they could share? I feel as if we go with Pickfords and its a disaster than I will blame myself as our experience with them so far this time has been mediocre.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

KC

We are having real difficulty in deciding between Pickfords and Anglo Pacific for our removals, and hope someone may be able to offer any experience/advice.

The rep from Pickfords who came out was really un-dynamic, and didn't sell his company very well at all. But Pickfords get a good name on here for removals, and we used them about 10 years ago for a domestic removal and they were really good.

The rep from Anglo Pacific was really impressive, enthusiastic, and had much more of a 'can-do' attitide, nothing was too much trouble. But the reviews about AP on here are really mixed, with various posters saying not to touch them with a barge pole!

The dilemma is -

Pickfords - Un-dynamic salesperson - but the company may be good at delivering our belongings = versus = Anglo Pacific - Dynamic saleperson - but the company may not be as good at delivering our belongings.

How do we decide who to choose?

We are so unsure about which company to choose. Price is important, but all we want is peace of mind that our belongings have the best chance of getting to Oz safe and sound!

Does anyone have any positive experience with AP that they could share? I feel as if we go with Pickfords and its a disaster than I will blame myself as our experience with them so far this time has been mediocre.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

KC

Hi,

We used Anglo Pacific and everything went absolutely fine, cannot fault anything with them at all.

The rep was good, the packers were good and the shipping was on time and in one piece. And they were the cheapest from all the other companies too.

Appearently, they have a bad reputation, not sure why. Perhaps we were just lucky.

Victoria

Guest MDPickfords

Hi KC,

My name is Kevin Pickford. I am currently in UK and until last month was the MD at Pickfords. I am about to return to my home in Melbourne after Easter - where I will continue to work with the company. Am currently here handing over to a new guy. I was previously MD at Allied Pickfords in Australia until I came to UK in 2005, so I know the key folks there too and continue to work with them there.

I saw your post and wanted to let you know I am moving home with Pickfords myself and have every confidence in our abilities. If it helps, I will let the staff know I am aware of your move and will keep a personal eye on it.

We are good at what we do.

Best Wishes with your relocation - I am sure you will love Australia

Cheers

KP

Kevin,

Lets be honest as the MD they are sure to look after your goods well, we are about to move to OZ and I was put off your company after being relocated by your company only 25 miles and they did over £4000 worth of damage which the company REFUSED and then struggled to pay us any compensation for even though we were insured.

I own a Mystery shopping company I think it would be very interesting to see how

1. The Salesmen

2. The Packers

3. The Destination team

4. The Unpackers

do against each other of the competitors on like for like jobs because the services of the companies and prices vary so much, even with my former relocation your salesperson only sent one van and ended up sending for another!!

I would be interested to see the comments that follow as many of the PIO members have used various companies and I think they will agree every one has had different experiences.

Guest MDPickfords

Hi LYNMACMD,

I read your post and am sorry you had that experience. I understand there is variability. Unfortunately moving furniture which is designed to sit in one place, is not a perfect science. We also have a high for personal management involvement and we do not always get it right. However, we have been doing this for nearly 400 years and currently have a "Use Again" customer satisfaction rating well over 90%.

I also understand how difficult it can be for those moving to differentiate the service providers. It is clear to me that the combination of Pickfords in UK and Allied Pickfords in Australia is most likely to produce a real good move for those going to Australia from UK.

Anyway, this is not the right forum for advertising or promoting our services. I watch the site as I seek to return to Australia to live after 5 years absence and thought I would offer a watching eye for KC.

Irrespective of choice of movers, I wish all those moving to Australia all the very best.

KP

I used Pickfords for 100km move - would never use them again, timekeeping was awful, and they kept adding charges after charges after I had agreed the deal. No damage to my stuff but I will go elsewhere next time.

I did get a call from their customer service department a few weeks after the move, I explained all my problems but these were never followed up..

Not going to get into a match against Pickfords, we had quotes from them, Anglo Pacific and Crown. I agree on the advice from Anglo Pacific, but we ended up going with Crown as their quote included inspection fees at AQIS which I believe the others do not,bearing in mind they looked at about 20 boxes I can only assume the fees would have racked up. Luckily no fumigation needed and everything was delivered in perfect working order, so we didn't get any surprise expenses at this end.

We used Pickfords and found them to be excellent on the UK side, the sales guy gave some good advice and the packing team were great guys, they worked really hard but still chatted and bantered with us, nothing got broken and time wise they were spot on.

This side (Canberra) the office were also good - kept us up to date with what was going on, contacted us when AQIS found a drum with animal hide on that we had not even considered would be a problem, $550 to have it tested or nowt to destroy it! I am not sure exavtly how many boxes they looked at but there were lots of checked labels 20-30 I would guess at.

The team that came to unpack however were quite unpleasant, I think that as it was Friday they wanted an early finish so apart from shouting out box numbers for us to tick off they barely spoke, they were supposed to unpack & re-assemble furniture but once they had unloaded the container & begrudgingly put a couple of beds together they packed up the truck and stood around outside with the paperwork waiting for a signature. They had made us feel quite uncomfortable so it was easier to let them go & do it ourselves.

That said my sister in law had a team from Sydney unpack for them and said they were brilliant so it is all down to the personalities of the guys who show up at your house really.

I guess I would reccommend them but if MrPickfords reads this & has any pull in the Canberra branch you could tell "Wayne" to sort his attitude out.

Might be worth looking at white&company keep your options open we had a few quotes !!! and have to say were sold by the motivation of this company !!! and price !!! and the removal guys really knew their stuff.

good luck x

Guest guest33730

I wouldn't go with Anglo Pacific or Pickfords, Anglo due to their 'dirty tricks' on PIO and Pickfords due to their quote which was one of the most expensive for our forthcoming move in June. For me it was between Doree Bonner and Crown - my preference was Crown due to them being the only company to include all the fees and not subcontracting any of the work but their price was originally the most expensive however last week they called me and offered me a price that blew everyone else out of the water and I now feel I am going to get the best price and the best service - well here's hoping anyway!!

Daniel

we used pickfords. not perfect - but ok. had a broken printer which had been wrapped badly, but we got our money back through the insurance very quickly.

I found the admin staff on both sides to be quite pathetic but we got there in the end.

Guest sylcaddies

We will never, ever use Pickfords again and would never recommend them to anyone. Can't say anything on open forum as we are starting legal action against them but feel free to pm me if you want to know exactly what went wrong and is still going wrong.

Archived