Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Guest tierneyballs
Hi There I originally posted this on another thread but then thought it would be more suitabale here!

My wife(Australian) and I (British) recently applied for 820/801 PR partner visa.

We have been in a defacto relationship for 5+years. When we decided to apply for PR (I'm on a 457 visa at present, in Aus for 4 years) I rang the Immi dept helpline and was advised the best cause of action was to prepare a "decision ready" application and lodge in person for a quicker outcome (potentially on the day!). we took the couple of months beforehand to prepare everything, police checks, medicals evidence of our relation etc and then rang the dept back to book an appointment to lodge in person. When we got there were Interviewed by a CO for about 1 hr and at the ned of the interview she said that our application was excellent, she was satisfied that we were in a geniune relationship and that she was putting us through for PR 801 as we had demonstrated a compact history of more than 3 years defacto ( Ieven had a heap more evidence but she told me she didn't need it!) and should have a letter of approval within 2 weeks (Great I thought!)

Received the letter as she stated but it was only a confirmation of application letter which then informed of expected waiting times 6-9 months! I called the case office to query and she said I must have misunderstood and that the 2 weeks she referred to were just a "pre processing period"?

I'm happy to get in line with everyone else but I'm just a little confused by the processes

Just wondering if anyone has lodged their application like this before?

Also what peoples thoughts are on the processing satges after interview and submission of all documents (I'm confused at what could take this long now as I've completed everything including the interview! - It must be some data entry!)

And lastly was there any real difference in lodging in person or by post/ email as there doesn't seem to be - if anything it would probably add to the timeframe!

I also agree with a lot of the posts on here about continuity of timelines. Surely when you hand over close to 3k you expect a reasonable timeframe to plan your life around!

Hope everyone is getting the good news coming through! Good luck.

Hi,

I handed in my 820 application in Sydney on July 15th, and from what the lady in Immigration told me, they used to have (until relatively recently) a system in place where they could approve applications almost instantly. However, they have recently changed the system, and you now have to wait at least three months to be assigned a case officer, and then probably another three months for your application to be approved. I have no idea how this new system is any more efficient, but there you go!

So I suppose the information that you were given when you rang the helpline was correct at the time, but then they brought in the new system while you were compiling your information.

It's really frustrating, but all we can do is wait...

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

My first post here, but wanted to keep you informed of my experience - just over 3 months from application to 801 visa being granted.

Background:

- My husband is a British citizen and I am an Australian citizen (who has lived in the UK for the past 10 years)

- We have been married for 4 years and have a daughter, who was 18 months when we applied for PR

- My husband obtained a 457 visa in March 2010

- We arrived in Melbourne in early May 2010

PR application:

- 19 May 2010: 801 Onshore Permanent Partner application (front loaded) submitted to Melbourne office by post by our migration agent (same agent used for 457 earlier)

- 26 August 2010: Chased migration agent for an update. Migration agent found out that a case officer had been assigned, and sent an email to the case officer

- 30 August 2010: Migration agent sent another email to case officer and left voicemail

- 1 Sept 2010 (Today): Case officer calls agent asking for some more information. Information was emailed to the case officer within the hour. 801 PR granted 10 minutes later.

My view on what helped:

- Having a 457 visa initially: Don't think so. The PR application is much more comprehensive (medical, police checks, evidence...)

- Migration agent: No. We could have done it all ourselves - the only reason we used one was because it was being paid for by my husband's employer

- Front loading application: Yes. Makes it easier for the case officer

- Chasing the case officer: Yes. I don't think it was coincidental that it was approved a few days after we chased them

- Luck: Definitely. Reading other people's experiences, it's difficult to identify why some visas are granted quicker than others

Hope this helps.

I got this from Immigration after an enquiry about my case officer - no word yet since we applied 8 weeks ago.

Thank you for your enquiry in regard to the current processing of your

application.

Every year the Australian Government sets planning levels for Australia's

migration program. The planning levels for each visa category, including

the Partner visa category, reflect the priorities allocated to these visa

categories. The Department has a responsibility to ensure that the number

of visas granted overall, and within each category, are in accordance with

these planning levels. Within the Department therefore, this means that

processing resources are distributed across business areas to ensure that

all planning levels are achieved, and that our processing remains within

pro-rata of the planning level for each visa category. What this means for

our clients is that we are not always able to finalise particular

applications as quickly as our clients would want.

The time taken for Partner visa applications to be processed and for a

decision to be made varies. Our average processing time for a Partner visa

is currently 6 to 9 months however, this should be treated as a guide only.

When applications are more complex, or where relevant documents are not

provided in a timely manner, applications may take longer to finalise. In

order to ensure a fair and equitable outcome for all our clients we process

applications in chronological order, that is, in the order in which they

are received. If there are particular circumstances of a compelling and

compassionate nature which you consider warrant the finalisation of your

application ahead of others in the queue, please bring these to our

attention, and we will consider the need to bring the processing of your

application forward.

The Department appreciates that you, along with all our clients, would like

to have your application finalised as quickly as possible. The Department

thanks you for your patience and understanding and would like to assure you

that every effort is being made to finalise your application as soon as it

is possible to do so.

If your application is within our average processing time, please help us

meet our service standard by minimising contact to urgent inquiries only.

Melbourne Family Residence

Decision Support Unit

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

131 881

I got this from Immigration after an enquiry about my case officer - no word yet since we applied 8 weeks ago.

Thank you for your enquiry in regard to the current processing of your

application.

Every year the Australian Government sets planning levels for Australia's

migration program. The planning levels for each visa category, including

the Partner visa category, reflect the priorities allocated to these visa

categories. The Department has a responsibility to ensure that the number

of visas granted overall, and within each category, are in accordance with

these planning levels. Within the Department therefore, this means that

processing resources are distributed across business areas to ensure that

all planning levels are achieved, and that our processing remains within

pro-rata of the planning level for each visa category. What this means for

our clients is that we are not always able to finalise particular

applications as quickly as our clients would want.

The time taken for Partner visa applications to be processed and for a

decision to be made varies. Our average processing time for a Partner visa

is currently 6 to 9 months however, this should be treated as a guide only.

When applications are more complex, or where relevant documents are not

provided in a timely manner, applications may take longer to finalise. In

order to ensure a fair and equitable outcome for all our clients we process

applications in chronological order, that is, in the order in which they

are received. If there are particular circumstances of a compelling and

compassionate nature which you consider warrant the finalisation of your

application ahead of others in the queue, please bring these to our

attention, and we will consider the need to bring the processing of your

application forward.

The Department appreciates that you, along with all our clients, would like

to have your application finalised as quickly as possible. The Department

thanks you for your patience and understanding and would like to assure you

that every effort is being made to finalise your application as soon as it

is possible to do so.

If your application is within our average processing time, please help us

meet our service standard by minimising contact to urgent inquiries only.

Melbourne Family Residence

Decision Support Unit

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

131 881

Hi Rexi

Wjat sort of visa were/are you on currently. I see you were issued a bridging visa after your application and then granted work rights. Wht tpye of visa did you have before applying for the partner visa as my partner is currently on a tourist visa and would love to work if we can put forward a reasonble and complelling case why he needs/wants to work. Any advise you can give regarding your situation would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi all, I gained lots of useful infos from PIO for my visa application and in return I would like to share some good news with you.

We are young couple from China mainland, I am PR and applied spouse visa 820 for my wife in person at Perth office on 28/06/2010, and visa granted on 21/07/2010.

We had everything ready included NPC and Med. We had a great conversation with our CO (the lady I believe we talked to), and she appreciated the quality of the file we prepared and the way we organized all the paper works, she checked each document for us and said that's all she needed. She said she could grant my wife's visa at that time but unfortunately quota of last financial year had run out and she promised to grant our visa soon. And the CO was so nice that she even found someone who understand Mandarin to check the genuineness of one of our lease agreements which suppose to be translated and certified by us.

The experience I got was just be yourselves, be natural and real when you talk and interact with either your CO and partner. Experienced COs I assume would have the ability to tell whether you were genuine couple. If you got any inquiries please PM me and good luck to you all.

Thats amazing FOTG! your so lucky. Can i ask if they contacted you in the meantime ? i applied a few weeks ago and havent heard anything. Waiting for a caseofficer but dont want to bug them. did they also tell you 6-9 months?

Thanks Fidget, She didnt mention the processing time nor contactin us thru the whole process, only found grant letter with our original photos sitting in the mailbox on the day we found out. Dont worry about contacting your office, most of them will be glad to offer you some info if within their authorization.

isn't that unfair? there are so many people in here that have been advised that the processing time is 6 to 9 months. I applied in Sydney in April and they told me yesterday from DIAC that they haven't allocated case officers yet to the applications of April because the quotas have been reduced for this financial year. And you are telling us that you were granted visa in less than a month? This is not a fair go I think. I believe we should all call the Departmernt and complaint about this issue. The applications should be processed in the order they are lodged and not some people been prioritised without any criteria!

I understand your feeling nswnow, I got a friend here in WA from Singapore got 801 within 40 days as well. I reckon it depends on the number of cases your local office and your CO received. After all family related visas are dealt solely by the state office your applied within. WA in comparison is a less popularized state. For instance, your CO might got 50 cases in a month while mine only got 10. If you got everything well prepared, there's nothing to worry about. Good luck to your application.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chamomil

Hi all,

my visa was finally granted a week ago. I applied for a partner visa 820 in Melbourne in mid June. Got a CO at the end of July (CO wanted form 80 & Australian police record). The whole process took about three months.

Wish you all the best of luck with your applications! And many thanks for your helpful messages in this forum.

Guest svanicek

Hi All,

I submitted my application at the Sydney Office on Thursday (16th Sept), just gave it to the person at the front counter, wasn't allowed to see a case officer immediately as this is not allowed.

I got an e-mail from immigration yesterday (20th Sept) notifying me that the application has been received, the money taken out and that I have been granted a Bridging Visa A. More surprisingly this e-mail stated that I had already been assigned a Case Officer together with his contact details. This was really surprising as the impression I got from reading previous PIO threads and the person at the front counter at immigration was that I could be waiting a long time to be assigned a CO.

Anyways, the e-mail writes that the CO has examined the application and requires some further information, which really was only my Police Clearance Check from Singapore which is cool because I needed this e-mail from them in order to apply for the police check. So that's all been sent off in the mail. What I would like to know is does this mean that my CO doesn't require any other information, or has he only just skimmed through the application and noticed the police check missing and just wants me to send that through to make the application complete?

I'm so nervous/excited that I received such a fast response!

It has been 16 weeks now, I was told initially 8 weeks for CO, then i was told another 8 weeks for CO and now I been told 6-9months by some guy.

Com December i will have been in my job for 6 months and that means I will have to leave which I find highly unfair, they take my money quick enough but then leave me in a position where I will have to look for a new job, ridiculous really.

Guest aussie06
It has been 16 weeks now, I was told initially 8 weeks for CO, then i was told another 8 weeks for CO and now I been told 6-9months by some guy.

Com December i will have been in my job for 6 months and that means I will have to leave which I find highly unfair, they take my money quick enough but then leave me in a position where I will have to look for a new job, ridiculous really.

can't you ask for special 6 months condition cancelling?

can't you ask for special 6 months condition cancelling?

I am going to go in and see them and ask for that, fingers crossed.

It is just bugging me that they take your money so quickly then leave you lying in limbo unable to make any solid plans with your life. Maybe they should look to bring in extra resource if theback log is that extensive

Guest aussie06
I am going to go in and see them and ask for that, fingers crossed.

It is just bugging me that they take your money so quickly then leave you lying in limbo unable to make any solid plans with your life. Maybe they should look to bring in extra resource if theback log is that extensive

yep, but you knew the conditions before applying , didn't you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Not sure if this is the place for posting timelines for onshore partner visa applications but here goes:

20/10/2010 - Visa submitted by hand to Sydney CBD office.

21/10/2010 - Email received with bridging visa

22/10/2010 - Email recieved saying 820 Granted!

Two days whoo!! :biggrin:

Simon

Guest siamsusie
Hi,

Not sure if this is the place for posting timelines for onshore partner visa applications but here goes:

Simon

Thats service:wubclub: a huge congratulations Simon, welcome to your new life

Susie x

Hi,

Simon

Wow Simon that is fantastic news. Can I please ask your circumstances for your 820 visa. My partner who is British and I will be applying for his 820 in January and I was just wondering weather you had exception circumstances surrounding your application or are they processing them this quickly now.

Look forward too your reply, thanks Simon.

Cheers Alicia

Hi Alicia,

There were no exceptional circumstances with regard to my application. Also, we were told that the application processing time was six months to a year when we applied.

According to our migration advisor, if you submit a really sound application with all necassary evidence and requirements then they can approve it straight away.

I can write exactly how I put the application together if you like?

Thanks

Simon

Guest aussie06
Hi Alicia,

There were no exceptional circumstances with regard to my application. Also, we were told that the application processing time was six months to a year when we applied.

According to our migration advisor, if you submit a really sound application with all necassary evidence and requirements then they can approve it straight away.

I can write exactly how I put the application together if you like?

Thanks

Simon

hello SimonK

yep please that could be helpfull for some of us

congrats!

Here is what I included in our application and a few pointers our migration advisor told us. You might have to include less or more depending on your circumstances.

Note: We included authorised copies of all evidence with the exception of Police Certificates & Medical report which must be the originals (and the application forms of course).

We had everything witnessed by a JP including passports, birth certs, rental agreements, bank statements. Letters, invoices, bills, travel docs – every single thing included.

Anything for which we didn’t have the original (maybe a scanned copy only) was attached to a short stat dec giving information and then witnessed by a JP.

1. Cover letter stating who you are with address and contact details, the visa you are applying for an on what grounds. Also state if you have any documentation or evidence outstanding and when you will be submitting it.

2. Detailed table of contents listing each document/evidence included with sheet numbers and any other information relevant also cross referencing evidence where applicable (mine was about 8 pages long).

3. Applicants Details:

a. 47SP Form

b. Statutory Declaration

c. Birth Cert

d. Passport (Photo ID pages and also any non-blank pages)

e. Passport photos

f. Medical Report in unopened envelope

g. Police reports for each country you have lived in for more than 12 months

h. Any military service and discharge papers.

4. Sponsors Details

a. 40SP Form

b. Statutory Declaration

c. Birth Cert

d. Passport (Photo ID Pages)

e. Passport Photos

f. Proof of employment and income for the last 2 years

5. Proof of Cohabitation for 12months + and Shared Finances

a. Rental leases for all properties we’ve lived in together with both names on the leases.

b. Joint bank statements for entire period listing transactions and not just front pages so they can see that it is in use. Highlight any joint purchases or holiday expenses. Also cross reference any purchases made whilst of holidays.

6. Joint Bills / Invoices to shared address.

a. Get as much as you possibly can addressed to both of you in joint name. This can be pretty difficult though as companies usually allow only one name. Telstra allowed us to change to joint names. As did our ADSL supplier and electricity provider. Even if you buy a piece of furniture or anything – get the invoice in joint names. You can also include invoices that you have received electronically.

7. Applicant Bills/ Invoices to shared address & Sponsors Bills/ Invoices to shared address.

a. We supplied at least 4 pieces of evidence each for each month that we have lived together. This was to prove that all of our mail went to the shared address

8. Any documents from the workplace that include your partner (death in service etc).

9. Joint insurance policies (Travel, Home etc)

10. Wills if you have them.

11. If you have ever sent emails to your partner maybe when you are both at work then include a few samples over the period of the relationship.

12. Christmas and birthday cards to each other

13. Christmas, birthday, other & invitations for weddings etc from others to both of you.

14. Any joint memberships (clubs, gyms etc)

15. Any tickets to shows, plays, sports etc that you may have mentioned in your stat decs as joint activities in your chronological story of your relationship – or maybe you have supplied photos at these events?

16. Joint travel bookings (flights, hotels etc) explain these in your table of contents with dates.

17. Five statutory declarations (form 888) from Aussies supporting your relationship (2 is required but we were told to submit at least 5 by the migration advisor).

18. Photographs – at least 8 but not too many.

a. Important to show at least some with you in a group of people - maybe at an event.

b. A good idea to show photos that have you both on holiday in front of landmarks etc (something that proves you haven’t taken them all last week – eg: maybe you have a photo of the two of you in front of the Eiffel Tower and also the plane tickets included elsewhere in the submission.... ).

c. Another good idea to have photos of your both that include people who have provided statutory declarations supporting your relationship.

d. Photographs should be scanned/copied and printed in a statutory declaration showing who is in the photo, where it was taken (place/event) and when.

We were also told that submitting it in the right format and making it look presentable was important so that DIAC don’t have to spend forever putting the application into a readable format and. Apparently it is best to submit the application in a manila folder with fasteners (or similar - with all documents hole-punched and affixed – I had to experiment a little as it was a large application). We divided the contents in to 10 sections broadly inline with the contents list above.

I hope this helps!

Simon

Guest aussie06
Here is what I included in our application and a few pointers our migration advisor told us. You might have to include less or more depending on your circumstances.

Note: We included authorised copies of all evidence with the exception of Police Certificates & Medical report which must be the originals (and the application forms of course).

We had everything witnessed by a JP including passports, birth certs, rental agreements, bank statements. Letters, invoices, bills, travel docs – every single thing included.

Anything for which we didn’t have the original (maybe a scanned copy only) was attached to a short stat dec giving information and then witnessed by a JP.

1. Cover letter stating who you are with address and contact details, the visa you are applying for an on what grounds. Also state if you have any documentation or evidence outstanding and when you will be submitting it.

2. Detailed table of contents listing each document/evidence included with sheet numbers and any other information relevant also cross referencing evidence where applicable (mine was about 8 pages long).

3. Applicants Details:

a. 47SP Form

b. Statutory Declaration

c. Birth Cert

d. Passport (Photo ID pages and also any non-blank pages)

e. Passport photos

f. Medical Report in unopened envelope

g. Police reports for each country you have lived in for more than 12 months

h. Any military service and discharge papers.

4. Sponsors Details

a. 40SP Form

b. Statutory Declaration

c. Birth Cert

d. Passport (Photo ID Pages)

e. Passport Photos

f. Proof of employment and income for the last 2 years

5. Proof of Cohabitation for 12months + and Shared Finances

a. Rental leases for all properties we’ve lived in together with both names on the leases.

b. Joint bank statements for entire period listing transactions and not just front pages so they can see that it is in use. Highlight any joint purchases or holiday expenses. Also cross reference any purchases made whilst of holidays.

6. Joint Bills / Invoices to shared address.

a. Get as much as you possibly can addressed to both of you in joint name. This can be pretty difficult though as companies usually allow only one name. Telstra allowed us to change to joint names. As did our ADSL supplier and electricity provider. Even if you buy a piece of furniture or anything – get the invoice in joint names. You can also include invoices that you have received electronically.

7. Applicant Bills/ Invoices to shared address & Sponsors Bills/ Invoices to shared address.

a. We supplied at least 4 pieces of evidence each for each month that we have lived together. This was to prove that all of our mail went to the shared address

8. Any documents from the workplace that include your partner (death in service etc).

9. Joint insurance policies (Travel, Home etc)

10. Wills if you have them.

11. If you have ever sent emails to your partner maybe when you are both at work then include a few samples over the period of the relationship.

12. Christmas and birthday cards to each other

13. Christmas, birthday, other & invitations for weddings etc from others to both of you.

14. Any joint memberships (clubs, gyms etc)

15. Any tickets to shows, plays, sports etc that you may have mentioned in your stat decs as joint activities in your chronological story of your relationship – or maybe you have supplied photos at these events?

16. Joint travel bookings (flights, hotels etc) explain these in your table of contents with dates.

17. Five statutory declarations (form 888) from Aussies supporting your relationship (2 is required but we were told to submit at least 5 by the migration advisor).

18. Photographs – at least 8 but not too many.

a. Important to show at least some with you in a group of people - maybe at an event.

b. A good idea to show photos that have you both on holiday in front of landmarks etc (something that proves you haven’t taken them all last week – eg: maybe you have a photo of the two of you in front of the Eiffel Tower and also the plane tickets included elsewhere in the submission.... ).

c. Another good idea to have photos of your both that include people who have provided statutory declarations supporting your relationship.

d. Photographs should be scanned/copied and printed in a statutory declaration showing who is in the photo, where it was taken (place/event) and when.

We were also told that submitting it in the right format and making it look presentable was important so that DIAC don’t have to spend forever putting the application into a readable format and. Apparently it is best to submit the application in a manila folder with fasteners (or similar - with all documents hole-punched and affixed – I had to experiment a little as it was a large application). We divided the contents in to 10 sections broadly inline with the contents list above.

I hope this helps!

Simon

that helps a lot :biggrin:

quick questions : what do you mean by "witnessed by a JP"

how did you divided each part? a blank sheet? a file? ; In fact, how have you formalized it?)

Archived