Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

I applied for 820/801 visa on Wednesday (yesterday) posting application to the Melbourne office

I received a few emails today. Receipt of application, confirmation of payment, bridging visa approval and also a request for further evidence (medical which I was advised not to include in my application).

It seems extremely fast to be asked to submit a medical after only 1 day? Does that suggest the length of my wait may not be as long as the anticipated 14 month mark?

Very happy with the immediate progress!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems extremely fast to be asked to submit a medical after only 1 day? Does that suggest the length of my wait may not be as long as the anticipated 14 month mark?

Yes - because a medical is only valid for 12 months. It looks like they are ready to move quickly on a decision. Do you already hold a substantive visa? Thing often seem to move faster if you already have a visa with work rights.

Yes - because a medical is only valid for 12 months. It looks like they are ready to move quickly on a decision. Do you already hold a substantive visa? Thing often seem to move faster if you already have a visa with work rights.

Yeah, I've got a 457 still valid for 16 months.

Good news! What benefits will the 820 temp partner visa have over 457 temp visa - theoretically does this mean I can work anywhere?

i also assume the 801 partner visa still takes 2 years from application date to approve - no change on this front or could this be fast tracked too?

• 9 months later...

Hi All, it doesn't look like there's a thread for the onshore partner visa application so I'm going to bump this one up. (admin - please merge if there's one I missed).

Anyway, I've had some very good news - PR granted!

Current status - 457 visa (granted January 2012)

September 17 2014 - Applied for 820/801

September 18 2014 - Asked to submit medical

July 1 2015 - 801 Permanent Residency Granted

It fast tracked past the 820 and went straight to PR! The reason my case officer gave was due to strength of my application, helped by the fact I've got a child.

I didn't expect the PR until September 2017 so I'm delighted about this.

Next stop - citizenship! Is it 12 months from PR I need to wait?

Hi All, it doesn't look like there's a thread for the onshore partner visa application so I'm going to bump this one up. (admin - please merge if there's one I missed).

Anyway, I've had some very good news - PR granted!

Current status - 457 visa (granted January 2012)

September 17 2014 - Applied for 820/801

September 18 2014 - Asked to submit medical

July 1 2015 - 801 Permanent Residency Granted

It fast tracked past the 820 and went straight to PR! The reason my case officer gave was due to strength of my application, helped by the fact I've got a child.

I didn't expect the PR until September 2017 so I'm delighted about this.

Next stop - citizenship! Is it 12 months from PR I need to wait?

Congratulations!

As far as citizenship is concerned, you have to have lived in Australia for four years on a valid visa and one of those years must be as a permanent resident. So if you have already lived here at least 3 years, you have 12 months to wait until you can apply for citizenship.

Congratulations!

As far as citizenship is concerned, you have to have lived in Australia for four years on a valid visa and one of those years must be as a permanent resident. So if you have already lived here at least 3 years, you have 12 months to wait until you can apply for citizenship.

Thanks!

Excellent, that's what I thought re: citizenship. Great news! It's been a tricky few years and I managed to hang on after a redundancy so I'm delighted to get to the PR stage!

• 3 weeks later...
If only your timescale were true. It takes two years for them to ask for the additional information. They then wait a further 6 to 8 months before doing anything about PR

Not for everyone. For particularly strong applications, usually involving children, often the applicant skips straight to PR (801 visa) without the 2 year waiting period.

If only your timescale were true. It takes two years for them to ask for the additional information. They then wait a further 6 to 8 months before doing anything about PR

Yeah I like to spend my time going on migration messageboards to make up stuff.

The implication was not that you made anything up. It was that your timescale is only true for you. I have been married for four years have two kids have lived in the country for 7 years. I can't get a fast track and have been waiting seven months now for consideration of my additional information. At every step of my time in Australia from 457 visa to now the immigration department has been over their published timescales by up to 50%. At every step within 24 hrs of having a case officer my very straight forward applications have been passed.

If you have been married/cohabiting for 3 years, or 2years if you have children of the relationship, you go straight to PR.

Takes the same processing time but you do not have to have the temp spouse visa, you go straight to PR.

Thats factual, not accusing anyone of making anything up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to take opportunity and Thank everyone for their support and information provided in the thread through out 820/801 Visa journey.

at one stage I really thought that I am never going to get Visa and if I did it would be on my kids 21st Bday. smile.gif

however after just short wait of 9 months (2 Years and 9 months in total), I received a phone call asking / confirming same details that you would normally write in your history of relationship.

soon after that I was asked to do a new AFP Check since old one was expired (Geee!!! I Wonder why) and they can no longer use it at the time of decision.

after 3 AFP Checks in total , 1 Medical , 2 file submissions, Countless time writing last 10 years of addresses and 2 years 9 months later one fine morning I got an email that my 801 Visa has been approved.

Archived