Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Hi Loopylu, no not yet, my wait goes on, now well into the 13th month...I have just sent off my Federal Police check that they requested as a result of me contacting my local MP, as it has gone over the 12 month mark, so we'll see what happens now. Happy for others but just do not get it at all. My application was front loaded, with plenty of proof, declarations from friends and inlaws. My only contact in 13 months has been one email asking for my passport number as they couldnt locate me on their database....:arghh: :arghh:

It can't be too much longer now (Fingers crossed!). Let us know when you finally get it!

All the best!

Loopylu

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, after a lot of reading on here and endless form-filling-in, I finally lodged my Onshore Partner Visa (temp) in Melbourne yesterday with my partner. Wasn't sure we'd be able to hand it in in person but when we went down there and told the lady at the front desk why we were there it was fine, just given a number and waited about half an hour to hand the form off to someone else. Was given a Bridging Visa A on the spot which kicked in at midnight today, so now it's a waiting game!

Rang them yesterday and was told they are now processing July 2011 applications. I applied 3rd August 2011 and have not been assigned a CO yet. Or more accurately, they don't know whether or not I have a CO!

I was also told to ring back in two weeks if I've heard nothing.

I also quizzed them on timeframe inconsistency and they couldn't give a straight answer. Quite annoying.

Hi Robfromdublin,

Your situation sounds similiar to mine. Have you applied to the Brisbane office? I applied 7th July 2011 and so far have had no contact, apart from when I rang them at the 12 month mark and they told me to get an Aus police check. I did this and sent it in over 2 weeks ago. I had an email today to say that they received my Federal Police Check and a case officer should look at my application within the next few weeks. So that will take it up to 14 months..such a joke!

Keep fingers crossed for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Soo happy to share the good news with you all.After 14 months of waiting, my husband just got his 820 visa today. We applied on 27th june 2011, Perth office!!

Soo happy to share the good news with you all.After 14 months of waiting, my husband just got his 820 visa today. We applied on 27th june 2011, Perth office!!

Thank you very much for your update and congratulations on his visa! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have recent experience of the processing time for the 801 portion of this visa?

If we're waiting 14 months for temporary residency, and the 801 visa takes 14 months too, maybe we should apply for the 801 visa now? The website says they contact you 3 months before you're eligible, but currently there's only a 6 month gap between when they grant your 820 and when they contact for the 801. Seems easier to do it in one hit!

Does anyone have recent experience of the processing time for the 801 portion of this visa?

If we're waiting 14 months for temporary residency, and the 801 visa takes 14 months too, maybe we should apply for the 801 visa now? The website says they contact you 3 months before you're eligible, but currently there's only a 6 month gap between when they grant your 820 and when they contact for the 801. Seems easier to do it in one hit!

You ARE applying for the 801 now. It is all the same application. If you meet the criteria for the 801 at the time of application, you will get the 801 at the end of the original processing time (say 14 months). if you don't, they'll issue you with the 820 and reassess two years later. From the other thread on the second stage of processing, iirc processing time is now up to 6-8 months from the two years since application. so you'll have your 801 about 30-32 months from original application.

I agree it's getting silly keeping the two stages when the first stage processing is now taking so long, but this was put in place when the first stage processing times were "up to three months".

You ARE applying for the 801 now. It is all the same application. If you meet the criteria for the 801 at the time of application, you will get the 801 at the end of the original processing time (say 14 months). if you don't, they'll issue you with the 820 and reassess two years later. From the other thread on the second stage of processing, iirc processing time is now up to 6-8 months from the two years since application. so you'll have your 801 about 30-32 months from original application.

I agree it's getting silly keeping the two stages when the first stage processing is now taking so long, but this was put in place when the first stage processing times were "up to three months".

Yes I realise it's the same application. What I meant by 'applying' was submitting the documentation that will lead to granting of the 801 visa. Given that I was not eligible at time of application (although I am now), I'm expecting to go on the 820 first and then get re-assessed in May next year. Unless I can sweet-talk my case officer!

I didn't realise there was a thread on this, thanks for that. Looks like the long road to citizenship is only getting longer

Looks like the long road to citizenship is only getting longer

Yeah, tell me about it. I still don't get why the waiting times for partner visas have ballooned so much in the last two years, it's not been that big an issue for me since I've had decent work visas the whole time, but there are so many people for whom it's caused all sorts of issues.

Second stage thread here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/138180-partner-visa-2nd-stage-onshore-docs-sent-let-wait-begin-8.html

Hi, I rang them the other day and was told the processing time is now 15-18 months! I think they just make it up as they go along. I've been waiting 14 and half months and haven't been assigned a case officer yet. Incredible.

So what is the criteria for being granted an 801 immediately? I seem to remember at the beginning, they told me I would be applying for the 801, not the 820...but I cant really remember that far back! Wondering like robfromdublin, if I should start gathering any paper work now?!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, my 820 visa was granted!

I got the email on Friday afternoon which was a great way to start the weekend.

Submitted in Brisbane - 3rd August 2011

Granted - 21st September 2012

They asked for no further information and I was not required to redo medicals or police checks (all over a year old and the medical was non-standard). I was also not required to add an Australian police check even though I have now been in the country over a year. I thought that was very fair.

Now to go through it all again next year for the 801!

Finally, my 820 visa was granted!

I got the email on Friday afternoon which was a great way to start the weekend.

Submitted - 3rd August 2011

Granted - 21st September 2012

They asked for no further information and I was not required to redo medicals or police checks (all over a year old and the medical was non-standard). I was also not required to add an Australian police check even though I have now been in the country over a year. I thought that was very fair.

Now to go through it all again next year for the 801!

Great news, congratulations!! :)

I have sponsored my partner in June 2011 as a 'de-facto' because we weren't married until September of 2011. Our agent suggested for us to do that since we can't get a 'marriage visa' because my partner's already in Australia. It is September 2012 and I just received a call from my agent advising for us to submit more paperwork. It's been over 15 MONTHS and they're finally assessing our application!!

Situation is, my partner is Brittish and a CPA qualified accountant. I am an Engineer in Australia and we both have stable incomes. We also bought a property in Australia recently.. and yet, still waiting for our TR. The waiting time are dreading our lives because being an engineer, I need to travel and I can't do that without worrying what's going to happen to the visa application.

I know someone that did their 820 visa application in June 2011 and got their TR in April 2012. Husband was a pathologist and wife (the person required sponsorship) has no qualification or career path. Wife gave birth to a baby in February 2012 and their Visa was granted in April 2012. Now they are on family welfare.

I think this is very unfair decision for spousal visa especially for professional couples. We pay very high tax to the government and have invested good money in this country and we're still considered as some sort of 'threat' to immigration. It's probably better for me to quit my engineering profession and become a mother on benefit as they'll probably grant my partner a Visa faster this way.

Hi Thuvan, sorry to hear about your situation. It is so frustrating isn't it. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I noticed Robfromdublin submitted his after me, yet his has been granted! ( Congrats btw!!) I too have applied 15 months ago. I have recieved very little correspondence from them so I rang them today, to be told they emailed me 5 weeks ago requesting a UK police check. I received no email and submitted it with my original application. The very nice lady on the phone told me its maybe because I have travelled back to the UK in that time, upon which my reply was I cannot travel as I DO NOT HAVE A VISA!!! Can I ask what further information they requested from you? At least you now have been assigned a case officer and once the requested info has been sent in, they should grant it.

Sigh...........

Yes it's horrible isn't it? The worst thing is they claim that they are assessed chronologically, with the exception of some applications submitted 'decision ready', but there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest they aren't. Colleagues of mine got theirs in about 6 months, which is too long to be processed shortly after submission, but not long enough to have been processed via the normal route. And the data on the system may not be correct as kellbell has described!

It's possible I got mine earlier because I submitted it in Brisbane and you guys are in different offices, so I've updated my post to say so. I hope you both get yours before long!

Yes it's horrible isn't it? The worst thing is they claim that they are assessed chronologically, with the exception of some applications submitted 'decision ready', but there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest they aren't. Colleagues of mine got theirs in about 6 months, which is too long to be processed shortly after submission, but not long enough to have been processed via the normal route. And the data on the system may not be correct as kellbell has described!

It's possible I got mine earlier because I submitted it in Brisbane and you guys are in different offices, so I've updated my post to say so. I hope you both get yours before long!

No I applied to the Brisbane office too! I'm hoping my hold up is because of an email 5 weeks ago that I didn't receive. There was someone on here recently who got theirs within a month, so I just do not understand their system.

Getting it within a month suggests it was submitted decision-ready and was a simple application so the CO decided to do it then and there. This is part of their normal system. The situation that thuvan mentioned (their friend getting it in 10 months while thuvan is >15) is less clear and what causes all the annoyance.

I'd say the hold-up must be because of that email. How irritating! Fingers crossed it won't be much longer

They requested more documents from us such as partner's passport, bank statements, wedding certificate and more evidence.. although we submitted everything to them already. But this time we've got our mortgage documents, so I hope it's more credible. Thankfully they didn't require a police check report (again) and medical check, because it would be time consuming.

We also traveled during the time of our application to visit my partner's parents in UK and went on our honey moon. Each time you travel, you'll need to apply for Bridging type B which lasts up to 1 month of travel. Each time you apply for Bridging type B, it will cost $125. We actually traveled 3 times during the application. First time, we didn't know we had to get Bridging B because got misleading information from immigration customer service themselves. They said my partner was still on the original tourist visa that he got when he first entered Australia so after that one expires, the bridging will be applicable. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and bridging visa was applied straight away when we submitted our visa application in June 2011. So apparently we were on their 'black book' and had to give reasons, but luckily we had evidence that we checked with them before we left and they let us off.

I'm hoping to get a response from them sometime this year, else it'll be almost 2 years waiting time for TR!!

It's HORRIBLE how they assess these applications.. *ANGRY*

Getting it within a month suggests it was submitted decision-ready and was a simple application so the CO decided to do it then and there. This is part of their normal system. The situation that thuvan mentioned (their friend getting it in 10 months while thuvan is >15) is less clear and what causes all the annoyance.

I'd say the hold-up must be because of that email. How irritating! Fingers crossed it won't be much longer

That's right, the person I know had no qualification, came from high risk country, lack of English and no job.. and she scored a TR in 10 months by giving birth to a baby. Where as someone like my partner.. CPA accountant, paid 12k tax to government last financial year, got a property and from the UK.. and its beyond 15 months...

why why Australia????

They requested more documents from us such as partner's passport, bank statements, wedding certificate and more evidence.. although we submitted everything to them already. But this time we've got our mortgage documents, so I hope it's more credible. Thankfully they didn't require a police check report (again) and medical check, because it would be time consuming.

We also traveled during the time of our application to visit my partner's parents in UK and went on our honey moon. Each time you travel, you'll need to apply for Bridging type B which lasts up to 1 month of travel. Each time you apply for Bridging type B, it will cost $125. We actually traveled 3 times during the application. First time, we didn't know we had to get Bridging B because got misleading information from immigration customer service themselves. They said my partner was still on the original tourist visa that he got when he first entered Australia so after that one expires, the bridging will be applicable. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and bridging visa was applied straight away when we submitted our visa application in June 2011. So apparently we were on their 'black book' and had to give reasons, but luckily we had evidence that we checked with them before we left and they let us off.

I'm hoping to get a response from them sometime this year, else it'll be almost 2 years waiting time for TR!!

It's HORRIBLE how they assess these applications.. *ANGRY*

It is truly is so annoying! Thanks Robfromdublin, really pleased for you that your wait is over. Hmm I wonder why they've asked you to resubmit those documents and wonder why they've asked me to submit a UK police clearance, when I have already submitted it?! Ahh who knows eh!

Archived