Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

That's good. Did you leave Australia during the waiting period? I have 4 police checks including Australia, but I've left Australia (for short periods) twice since applying. Would that have an impact do you think?

I did visit the UK for three weeks during the application period.

@sarahelle: my health check was still within a year though, so can't help with that issue...

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have recieved some sort of email/letter. Did you apply in person or by post? if in person then you should have had your letter there and then.

Definitely call them up, with your passport handy so they can look up your file.

The bridging visa will only kick in once your PMV expires.

Definitely check up on this as if it hasn't been issued, you'll be illegal once the PMV expires.

Managed to speak to someone to see what happens and it turned out they had emailed me back in april, checked the address and they had spelt it wrong! They said i had been put on a bridging visa, can chill out abit now knowing im not here illegaly! :)

Hello,

My name is Irina and I am 23 years old.

I am new to the forum but not to the process of applying for onshore partner visa. I thought I would share my story and keep you guys updating on it.

Me and my partner have been living together now and been together for almost 2 years, we applied for a 820 visa in May, just as my WHV was expiring.

We did not use an agent as it was too expensive.

Getting the forms filled out and getting the evidence wasn't too hard, I was always in contact with IMMI if I had any problems.

They told me not to do the Police ceck or health check untill it was requested because of the lenght of time the application process may take.

I sent of my visa via registered post, but the department didnt get it untill only mere 8 hours after my WHV expired.

They took out the payment and within a few days I recieved an aknolegmenty letter and a reciept.

Because my previous visa expired, they put me on Briging Visa C, and a week later I was granted a permission to work.

Shortly after that I recieved a letter from the partner processing center saying that I had to fulfill Schedule 3 Criteria for my application to be considered further. It was a bit of a pain in the back side, but we got it done, since sending off the additional information, I havent heard anything from them. I have sent a letter regarding study, as for my job I am required to undergo study, but I have not heard anything yet. I know that I can study full time as an international student, but Durack in WA needs a written confirmation of that.

We applied to Perth Partner Processing Center, and this is what has happened so far, anyone else applied at Perth? Also, has anyone had any similar Schedule 3 business? If so, how did that go?

I'm sorry about my spelling, typing too fast.

I know how you feel.

Its just so frustrating. I think its my fault for wrongly assuming that my case would be straightforward being married to an Aussie with 2 children! Oh well...all good things and all that! :biggrin:

If you were a nurse, you'd get PR in one week - I read of a case recently on the Brisbannittes site! What gets me is that I am the breadwinner and provide my 4 Aussie family members with a roof over their heads, food, clothing etc etc..... Makes my blood boil sometimes!

Wow Tink85 thats great. You must be so chuffed. Still waiting for mine, 12 months next week. I just dont get the processing times..there seems no rhyme or reason!

I know it doesnt make sense! Have you called them up? I rang last week cause i hadnt heard anything, turns out they had sent me an acknoledment letter after id applied but they wrote my email address wrong. Still hadnt recieved it after they were going to resend it so rang again yesterday, and told me it was granted?!

Guest command

My Wife is the holder of a PMV 300 (which expires next week), just lodged a 820/801 Partner visa earlier this week. Hopefully it will not take that long to grant the 820(temp)!

They've granted a Bridging VISA A in the meantime.

Question for this forum: when checking visa in VEVO online, it still shows PMV 300, not the bridging visa. Will the bridging visa only show on VEVO after the PMV 300 expires next week?

Guest command
Correct

Thank you for the very quick response! :)

On a side question: has anyone found that 820 comes quicker for current holders of PMV 300, compared to a straight 820 application?

Thank you for the very quick response! :)

On a side question: has anyone found that 820 comes quicker for current holders of PMV 300, compared to a straight 820 application?

judging by responses on here, seems to be just as hit and miss as normal applicants. It'll either be really quick or you'll be put in the queue. If you want to to be really quick, you need to include medicals/police checks upfront, but if you get put in the queue, those will pobably have to be re-done by the time it finally gets granted, so it basically depends how lucky you're feeling...

Guest command
If you want to to be really quick, you need to include medicals/police checks upfront, but if you get put in the queue, those will pobably have to be re-done by the time it finally gets granted, so it basically depends how lucky you're feeling...

On the application acceptance letter that they gave us this week it says holders of a current PMV 300 when applying for an 820/801 visa do not need to re-do medical/police check or Form 80 as this was all done during the PMV application. Only time a police check is needed is if you've lived in Aust for more than 12 months, my wife has only been here 8 months.

On the application acceptance letter that they gave us this week it says holders of a current PMV 300 when applying for an 820/801 visa do not need to re-do medical/police check or Form 80 as this was all done during the PMV application. Only time a police check is needed is if you've lived in Aust for more than 12 months, my wife has only been here 8 months.

even better then :)

Hey all, I applied for my 820 to the Brisbane office back in May 2011. I called Immigration a couple of weeks ago since it's now been over a year and spoke to a very nice guy in the Sydney office who told me that since I had been waiting for over 12 months he would email the processing centre to try and hurry things up a bit. I have my Uk and Australian police check forms ready to send off for, but I submitted my health check with my application which would have expired at the end of May. I'm really hoping they don't request for me to do it again. Here's hoping I hear something soon.

Good luck to everyone waiting! x

Sarah

I chased up my partner visa today and raised the issue of my health check expiring in the next month. The DIAC guy checked with his supervisor and then advised me that where DIAC delays processing the application then they will extend the validity of the health check by up to 6 months. To be honest, I'd rather they pulled their finger out and gave me the visa.... I hate being in Bridging Visa limbo land. Perhaps, against my better judgment, I emailed Chris Bowen today to put my case for him intervening and speeding my application up. My husband did the same a few years ago when he applied to get his Australian Citizenship reinstated (he lost it in 2000 when he took UK citizenship) and they were taking their time processing it. As if by magic, he had an email back from Canberra and things happened quickly. Not sure if it'll work for a Brit but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers

Hey Loopylu, that's good news, thanks so much for letting me know. They must have changed the rules a bit. I totally agree with you about the Bridging Visa limbo, and I just hope and pray it doesn't take another 6 months. Good on you for contacting Chris Bowen - strangely enough my partner suggested something similar. If nothing has happened in the next couple of months I just might take your advice...

Good luck with yours.

Guest jeff and katie

Hi

i am new to this forum, me and my partner moved to cairns in April with our two children, I lodged my spouse visa last Friday, everything bar the medical ws included in my application, I'm having my medicals done next week.

Does anybody know where my visa will be processed? Lodged it in cairns, will it be the Brisbane office? Would like to email them if anybody has the details please.

Is anybody on here living in cairns ,would love to ask a few questions

I spoke to immigration today as it has now reached 12 months since I lodged mine. He gave me the email address which is partner.temporary.qld@immi.gov.au.

It sent me back an automated response which included this:

2. When will my partner application be processed?

The Department appreciates that you, along with all our clients, would like to have your application finalised as quickly as possible. We thank you for your patience and would like to assure you that every effort is being made to finalise your application as soon as it is possible to do so. Below provides some guidance on average processing times, and on factors affecting processing times.

Every year the Australian Government sets planning levels for Australia's migration program. The planning levels for each visa category, including the Partner visa category, reflect the priorities of government. The Department has a responsibility to ensure that the number of visas granted overall, and within each category, is in accordance with these planning levels. Within the Department therefore, this means that processing resources are distributed across business areas to ensure that all planning levels are achieved, and that our processing remains within pro-rata of the planning level for each visa category. What this means for our clients is that we are not always able to finalise particular applications as quickly as our clients would want.

The time taken for temporary partner visa applications to be processed can vary depending upon the circumstances of the applicant and sponsor. Information on current “service standards” is available at:

(http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/5.0.htm)

Our average processing time for a Partner (Temporary) visa is currently 9-12 months however this should be treated as a guide only. When applications are more complex, or where relevant documents are not provided in a timely manner, applications may take longer to finalise. A range of verification checks may be undertaken prior to the decision to grant a visa. In some instances the checking process may be protracted and we do not always have control over the time taken to finalise those checks.

In order to ensure a fair and equitable outcome for all our clients we process applications in the order in which they are received. There are some exceptions to this general principle:

- if you are in immigration detention, your case will be prioritised

- if there are particular circumstances of a compelling and/or compassionate nature which you consider warrant the finalisation of your application ahead of others in the queue, please bring these to our attention by forwarding a written request by email, and we will consider the need to prioritise your application forward. If you have already flagged these in your email, they will be referred to the Manager of the processing team for consideration and you will be provided with a separate response

- if your application is 100% decision-ready at lodgement in our assessment, then your application will be prioritised. All incoming applications are examined for decision-readiness. You are welcome to highlight your own views as to the decision-readiness of your application in a covering note, however the assessment as to your application’s decision-readiness will be made by us.

Its says if your question is deemed to be answered in the FAQ then they will not reply any further. According to the guy I spoke to 12+ waiting time is not uncommon.

The wait goes on.....

Guest jeff and katie

Thanks for that, I will probably get the same response , guess it's just pot luck on how quick your application gets processed, surely yours should be dealt with soon, everything bar my medicals ( of which I'm getting done next thurs) is included in my application so hopefully it should be pretty straight forward, but seeing how everyone else is getting on I should not hold my breath

Guest loop the loop

Got my PR!! So freaking happy...it is still a weird feeling, quite unreal.

Lodged my application at Perth on 21/06/2011.

Got a call from my CO near the one year mark asking for police checks (i submitted the wrong ones) but he was happy to grant me straight residency because I've been in a defacto relationship for more than 3 yrs

Applied for my federal police check and got my residency grant letter on 5/7/2012.

I would like to thank everyone on here that put up with my constant questions. Also want to say thanks to Siamsusie!

Will keep this short, typing this on my phone which is quite difficult!

Got my PR!! So freaking happy...it is still a weird feeling, quite unreal.

Lodged my application at Perth on 21/06/2011.

Got a call from my CO near the one year mark asking for police checks (i submitted the wrong ones) but he was happy to grant me straight residency because I've been in a defacto relationship for more than 3 yrs

Applied for my federal police check and got my residency grant letter on 5/7/2012.

I would like to thank everyone on here that put up with my constant questions. Also want to say thanks to Siamsusie!

Will keep this short, typing this on my phone which is quite difficult!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Thats fab news, you must be elated!

Gives me a glimmer of hope that mine is not far behind as I submitted it 2 weeks after you.

Aaaaaaand relax!

Guest loop the loop
CONGRATULATIONS!! Thats fab news, you must be elated!

Gives me a glimmer of hope that mine is not far behind as I submitted it 2 weeks after you.

Aaaaaaand relax!

Thanks kellbell!

Yeah, the DIAC was VERY helpful throughout the application process, and my CO was very nice!

I also got my huge pile of paperwork that I submitted with my application back with the grant letter. It was tied up with a nice pink ribbon in a pretty bow, haha.

Best of luck with your journey! I would expect some news very soon.

I also emailed them at my 1 month mark and received the generic email telling me not to expect a response on progress of the application, but my CO still emailed me back.

Looking forward to hearing your good news!

Archived