Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkestred

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread but not to visa issues and the associated stress!

Submitted my 820 application to Brisbane in the post on Friday 3rd- got 'the' email today with 'the' confirmation letter advising of processing times and whatnot.

I'm on PMV 300 so had my health/police checks done for that. NOWHERE that I could see (and I've done the customary internet trawl of DIAC etc etc) did it say that because you did health/police checks for this visa means you don't have to do them again. So silly me, I had all my police checks done again thinking, 'oh i'll obviously have to have them done again' la la la- it states quite clearly on the confirmation email that you don't have to have them done again! So anyone on PMV, applying for 820, don't waste your money on new checks like I did *slaps head*

I would really love to work at DIAC in some respects, as it must be really interesting to see which visas get processed in two weeks and which in 12 months! There's obviously some trick to it......

Cheers :)

I finally got my 820 visa today! I applied in person at the Sydney office on 17th March 2011, so it's been just under 11 months. I haven't had any contact from my case officer and haven't even had an email saying my visa's been granted; I just happened to check on VEVO and it says it was granted today. Only ten months till the 801 paperwork needs to be done :-S

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread but not to visa issues and the associated stress!

Submitted my 820 application to Brisbane in the post on Friday 3rd- got 'the' email today with 'the' confirmation letter advising of processing times and whatnot.

I'm on PMV 300 so had my health/police checks done for that. NOWHERE that I could see (and I've done the customary internet trawl of DIAC etc etc) did it say that because you did health/police checks for this visa means you don't have to do them again. So silly me, I had all my police checks done again thinking, 'oh i'll obviously have to have them done again' la la la- it states quite clearly on the confirmation email that you don't have to have them done again! So anyone on PMV, applying for 820, don't waste your money on new checks like I did *slaps head*

I would really love to work at DIAC in some respects, as it must be really interesting to see which visas get processed in two weeks and which in 12 months! There's obviously some trick to it......

Cheers :)

Hey, i am also on my PMV. I was wondering if i would have to redo my medicals and police checks! i took my medicals last april so if i send in my application for 820 before then i should be ok and not have to do them again?? Its so confusing, you dont know what they are going to say!!! :confused:

Guest darkestred

hey :)

I'm also in Townsville, love it!

The information about the health checks etc is sadly lacking hey. I suppose we shall see what they come back with in a few months when they get round to processing our application!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, Just to let you know I got my visa granted (Woohoo!!!) 27 February and received the letter on 1 March, this is for the temporary partner visa, the perm one to follow 2 years from 22 November 2011. So I didn't have to wait as long as some (3 months). I applied at the Sydney office via post and I did my police checks and medical after I submitted my application. I didn't get a case officer. I know that some people have waited ages for theirs but I just wanted to share my story and hopefully the 9 month wait they advised me of isn't so long for all who are in the same boat. Cheers and good luck everyone x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darkestred

Hey guys,

Just got an interesting bit of info from IMMI via email (as part of their automatic blurb). It might help explain 'officially' why some applications appear to be prioritised before others:

- if your application is 100% decision-ready at lodgement in our assessment, then your application will be prioritised. All incoming applications are examined for decision-readiness. You are welcome to highlight your own views as to the decision-readiness of your application in a covering note, however the assessment as to your application’s decision-readiness will be made by us.

Not sure how many other people got this- but I don't remember reading it anywhere in the application documents either before or after lodgement.

I suppose we all think our applications are decision-ready, especially if told not to have medicals due to previous visa (PMV 300). Guess the waiting game continues:err:

Guest darkestred

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update that our (onshore) 820 visa was granted today :biggrin:

Really REALLY surprised at how long it took given some people's comments both in this forum and from friends- we applied on 7th Feb and it got approved 20th March so that's really only six weeks.

We were on PMV (300) to begin with- not sure if that makes a difference to processing times.

I applied to the Brisbane office but I think it was processed in Melbourne as the grant letter states second stage processing will occur there?

Very happy and just wanted to share/reassure people on here! Thanks for all your help and all the best of luck with your visas peeps! x

I applied to the Brisbane office but I think it was processed in Melbourne as the grant letter states second stage processing will occur there?

Congratulations! Would love to think that your experience is a sign that processing times might be coming down to what they used to be, but ooh look, a flying pig...

All second stage applications are processed in Melbourne, regardless of where you first applied.

Guest darkestred

hmm I know right! haha

I have no idea why ours got processed quickly to be honest, really no clue. I emailed the Dept last week to ask a question and got the generic response back- but I couldn't help but notice the visa grant notification email was started with 'thank you for your email' ? So could have acted as a jolt I suppose?

Re Melbourne- good to know. I look forward to that email in 22 months lol!

Cheers for all your help :)

• 2 months later...
Guest loop the loop

I emailed the immigration office to sort of hint that it has been almost a year. Got an automated reply saying they don't provide progress emails but today I got an email from tgem saying they are currently processing June 2011 applications and will contact me shortly!

Guest loop the loop

I got a call from my CO on Friday. I had submitted the wrong type of police check..I didn't submit a Federal one! Doh!!! :em0300:

HOWEVER, he gave me some VERY good news. He said once I have submitted those he is happy to grant me permanent residency!!!! SO STOKED.

My partner and I have been in a de facto relationship since May 2008 but we had a 7 month gap where due to visa reasons I had to go back to the UK. Apparently because I provided enough evidence of us still staying in touch that was good enough! I am SO happy right now...just have to submit my AFP and I'm golden!

Will update once I actually get the PR granted :biggrin:

Hey :)

Just wondered if anyone else is waiting for their temporary partner visa? I was on a pmv and applied for subclass 820 in april, the money has been taken out but i have had no acknowledgement email/letter from them? Has this happened to anyone else or should i ring them up? Im guessing i have been automatically put on a bridging visa as now i have no proof of which visa im on to show employers!

You should have recieved some sort of email/letter. Did you apply in person or by post? if in person then you should have had your letter there and then.

Definitely call them up, with your passport handy so they can look up your file.

The bridging visa will only kick in once your PMV expires.

Definitely check up on this as if it hasn't been issued, you'll be illegal once the PMV expires.

Hey all, I applied for my 820 to the Brisbane office back in May 2011. I called Immigration a couple of weeks ago since it's now been over a year and spoke to a very nice guy in the Sydney office who told me that since I had been waiting for over 12 months he would email the processing centre to try and hurry things up a bit. I have my Uk and Australian police check forms ready to send off for, but I submitted my health check with my application which would have expired at the end of May. I'm really hoping they don't request for me to do it again. Here's hoping I hear something soon.

Good luck to everyone waiting! x

Thanks, i applied by post to brisbane. Even though they have taken the money could it just be waiting to be assigned by a case officer? Ive just tried ringing but was on hold for half an hour then my credit ran out! Will try and sort this out as i dont want to be here illegally!!

Thanks, i applied by post to brisbane. Even though they have taken the money could it just be waiting to be assigned by a case officer? Ive just tried ringing but was on hold for half an hour then my credit ran out! Will try and sort this out as i dont want to be here illegally!!

Hi Tink85,

have you checked VEVO? http://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/compliance/working-legally/evo-for-visa-holders.htm

You need to register and then you're able to see all the details about the current visa online.

Hey all, I applied for my 820 to the Brisbane office back in May 2011. I called Immigration a couple of weeks ago since it's now been over a year and spoke to a very nice guy in the Sydney office who told me that since I had been waiting for over 12 months he would email the processing centre to try and hurry things up a bit. I have my Uk and Australian police check forms ready to send off for, but I submitted my health check with my application which would have expired at the end of May. I'm really hoping they don't request for me to do it again. Here's hoping I hear something soon.

Hi Sarahelle,

thanks for posting the new info, I remember your case, cause you've been waiting for such a long time.

Good luck and keep us posted, please.

I applied to the same office in August 2011 so let us know when they get back to you. I'm in the same boat re medicals but I've also already applied for police checks. I really hope they don't ask for them to be re-done, that would not be fair. Let us know what they end up doing anyway.

Thanks guys. Sometimes it honestly feels like it may never happen :o I asked at immigration if I would have to redo my health check and was told that it would be up to my case officer. I think I'm going to send off for my police checks this week as I don't want to hold things up any longer than I have to.

Will definitely keep you posted x

I applied to the same office in August 2011 so let us know when they get back to you. I'm in the same boat re medicals but I've also already applied for police checks. I really hope they don't ask for them to be re-done, that would not be fair. Let us know what they end up doing anyway.

Mine (from several countries) were more than a year old. I only had to redo the Australian one as that's where I'd been living since the checks had been completed.

Archived