Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

Guest skiingbadger

Hello,

I applied for a Partner Visa 820 with all the required documentation in Melbourne over four weeks ago. I have not heard anything yet from Immigration, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get a case officer and decision time? Perhaps I am expecting things to happen to quick, but having paid all that money I need to start working pretty soon. Thanks for any help you can give!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest31881
Hello,

I applied for a Partner Visa 820 with all the required documentation in Melbourne over four weeks ago. I have not heard anything yet from Immigration, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get a case officer and decision time? Perhaps I am expecting things to happen to quick, but having paid all that money I need to start working pretty soon. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi,

Onshore partner visa seem to take a lot longer than the Off shore visa. judging by other threads about onshore partner visa, it could be a 6 month wait. It seems to take longer when you are already in Australia with your partner, as opposed to wanting to move here to be with partner.

Guest skiingbadger

Thanks Colin. I saw some posts a few months ago from people who applied offshore in London and were approved in 10 days. I am quite jealous! It looks like I am going to have to find more things to do in the next few months whilst waiting to hear.

Phil

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Colin. I saw some posts a few months ago from people who applied offshore in London and were approved in 10 days. I am quite jealous! It looks like I am going to have to find more things to do in the next few months whilst waiting to hear.

Phil

Hi Phil, I recently helped a couple of friends with their on shore spouse visas in WA lodged 3rd December thro on the 3rd February, but all medicals police check were completed already and this included waiting 3 weeks for Oz police checks so I thought that was a pretty good time limit. Hope yours comes through quickly best wishes Susie

Sorry Colin I didnt see your post there, yes they have speeded up a bit now thank goodness it used to be that time frame Susie x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest optimisticsuze

Hi Phil,

I am in the same predicament as you. I put my application in 1/2/10 to Melbourne office and haven't heard anything since! I called up today and was told there is a backlog and it could take up to 8 months with no contact unless they need more documentation! So I guess its back to the waiting!

Have you had any luck yet?

Guest skiingbadger

Well that puts a bit of a downer on the whole thing! 8 months! What the hell are we paying all that money for!

I have not heard anything either. I did email them just over a week ago and got a reply saying that allocations to a case officer generally take 6 to 8 weeks from the date of lodgement and that once the case is allocated the officer would get directly in touch.

I was told when I lodged the application there was some way of being able to apply to work in case of financial hardship during the waiting period. I don't know anymore about it though. I may go over to Casselden Place and see if I can explore that option...

Good luck with your application and I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Guest optimisticsuze

Thanks and sorry to put a dampener on things! I am hoping that's worse case scenario! I was told the same thing as you when I submitted my app, and now in my 7th week, so fingers crossed eh?

Yep, you can apply for the right to work with form 1005 - they ask for proof of financial hardship and I was told today that a decision on this form could take up to 4 weeks! again, hopefully worse case :)

Good luck to you too and it's nice to know there's someone else out there like me!

Guest CLAIREB73

I front loaded mine in person in Brisbane and got it within 2 weeks! I didnt really hear from them in the meantime. I think it depends on your personal situation - we are a simple open and shut case luckily but I was told on the phone prior to lodging it that it can take up to 9 months - which I think is really for people who need translations done or have a complicated history.

I was also told by the guy who took my application in certain circumstances you can change the conditions of your bridging visa - not necessarily for hardship - and start working.

I applied for my 820 in Brisbane in feb 09 and got my tempoary visa granted 2 weeks later it can take up to 2 years to get Perm resdiencey it a long wait and i have had a friend whos took 2 years two month it making sure everything is not a sham as i was told by the DIAC that we will have to re do the forms in 2 years time it a long wait but i can understand why it a long process

Guest nicola c

i applied for a spouse visa on the 25/01/2010 in melbourne. i called today as the first 6 months with an employer will be up on the 12th april. i have been told that i can apply for an extension to my whv 6 month entitlement to work with an employer as i have applied for the spousal visa. i also asked about the progress of my visa and still no case officer has been assigned. i have seen a post on here in the last week or so from someone who had there temporary visa given in melbourne 10 days after lodging and theres was lodged after mine. its frustrating how theres no continuity on time frames.

Guest mayday

hi all,

we lodged our de facto application on 24/2 and we have a case officer. I spoke to her briefly but she said she wouldn't even be able to look at our application for another couple of weeks.. I don't even know if 'looking at it' means anything.

She also told me that 'the turnaround time is 12 months'!!! Does anyone know if they will give you an estimated time on your application? We need to know as it effects all of our plans (obviously). I can't believe how difficult this process is and why they can't just give a straight answer.

Mayday

She also told me that 'the turnaround time is 12 months'!!! Does anyone know if they will give you an estimated time on your application? We need to know as it effects all of our plans (obviously). I can't believe how difficult this process is and why they can't just give a straight answer.

It would seem the timelines are quoted at random! When I lodged my application, they told me that I'd only get a CO after a month at a minimum, and to wait 8 months for the actual visa grant. But I got my 820 granted in less than 2 weeks.

I was told that frontloading the application with everything (ie get meds and PCCs done in advance) really does help in speeding up the process, so if you've not included meds and PCCs with your application I'd really suggest doing them now rather than waiting for the CO to request for them. Aside from that, I also threw in Form 80 even though it's 'only if requested' seeing that so many people get asked for them as I didn't want to give the CO any opportunity to ask for more info, which only delays the process unnecessarily.

Guest mayday

Thanks for the advice. Our application is front loaded with meds and pcs but I didn't include the form 80. It might be a good idea for me to do this given that my partner has a couple of drink driving convictions...

Was yours a straight forward de facto app with definite proof of living together for 12 months or was there anything complicated about your app? We have lived together for over 12 months but spent some of last year apart for work reasons... my CO said that was okay...

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Mayday

Guest nicola c

mine was also frontloaded and my meds they all ready have signed off from my working holiday visa which apparently is fine because as a nurse i had the full medical, only when you have a part medical do you have to get them redone.

ours was pretty straight forward we've been together since 2006 and got married last year

Was yours a straight forward de facto app with definite proof of living together for 12 months or was there anything complicated about your app? We have lived together for over 12 months but spent some of last year apart for work reasons... my CO said that was okay...

Mine was rather straightforward also. Relationship commenced November 2008 (or at least that's when we celebrate our anniversary), he moved in with me circa Jan 2009. We had a problem proving when exactly he moved in as he didn't get around to changing addresses with service providers, banks etc for a bit (visa applications didn't cross our minds at that point). In the end we got a letter from his employer confirming that he changed his address on their database in Feb 2009. We also had correspondence to our address for the period of Feb 2009 - Feb 2010. Nevertheless we delayed the application until March rather than applying when the actual 12 months of cohabitation was accumulated just to be on the safe side. We regoed our relationship in VIC in Oct 2009, and threw that in for good measure so it also might have helped.

I also went travelling on my own for a little bit, though he was with me for part of most of these trips just not the entire duration since working people tend to have less time off than uni students :P, but we included emails sent to each other during the time we spent apart.

Guest skiingbadger

Qflyer - in your signature sign off for posts you say you submitted your partner visa on 1st March this year and it was approved less than 2 weeks later. I am pleased for you, but fail to see why you have heard this (good) news when I submitted my application fully frontloaded almost a month before you.

I went into the ground floor of Casselden Place got a number, saw a lady who went through the forms then took all the other evidence and required documentation placed them in an envelope and said it would get taken upstairs and it would take 4 weeks to get a case officer. Is this what you did?

I went into the ground floor of Casselden Place got a number, saw a lady who went through the forms then took all the other evidence and required documentation placed them in an envelope and said it would get taken upstairs and it would take 4 weeks to get a case officer. Is this what you did?

Yep did exactly the same thing. They didn't place my stuff into any envelope as the entire pile was far too big. We presented it in 2 manila folders. The clerk we saw simply wrapped a few more elastic bands around the whole pile so nothing gets lost, and stuck a piece of paper to it. I was also told the same thing as you - 4-6 weeks for a CO, 8 months for grant.

I didn't mean to rub it in so please don't shoot the messenger. I believe I'm also not the only person with such a quick turnaround, though the balance to the universe might be restored when time comes to do the 2nd stage and DIAC takes its own sweet time with me *knocks on wood*. Maybe if you're eligible for the PR straightaway it could take longer?? DIAC works in mysterious ways...:err:

Guest skiingbadger

I didn't think you were rubbing it in at all. It's both good and rather frustrating to hear other peoples stories. It all helps build up a picture of how giving a couple of grand to DIAC and then blindly sitting around refreshing the email to see if a message from them will come could be pointless.

Perhaps we are wary of complaining as they hold the keys to the country, so to speak, but surely we have paid for a service and should be given better information?

Thanks for getting back so quicky, I may well get off me bum and and go over to Casselden Place sometime. As Bob Hoskins once said: 'It's good to talk'.

Guest nicola c
I didn't think you were rubbing it in at all. It's both good and rather frustrating to hear other peoples stories. It all helps build up a picture of how giving a couple of grand to DIAC and then blindly sitting around refreshing the email to see if a message from them will come could be pointless.

Perhaps we are wary of complaining as they hold the keys to the country, so to speak, but surely we have paid for a service and should be given better information?

Thanks for getting back so quicky, I may well get off me bum and and go over to Casselden Place sometime. As Bob Hoskins once said: 'It's good to talk'.

couldn't have put it better myself. qflyer don't think any of us want to shoot the messenger, i for one am just incredibly jealous. i think we all assume that there's some sort of system at immi but whats becoming very obvious is theres no queue as such ie first come first served but probably just a lucky dip box in the middle of an office in casseldon place. which for those of us that don't have a visa is extremely frustrating. if anyone gets anywhere with complaining let me know

Guest mayday

My partner and I are going to ask our case officer for a timeframe so I'll let you all know how that goes.. anywhere between 1 day and 18 months makes it very difficult to plan things.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mayday

Hi all. I've had some news. They said the application is going along fine but it might take a bit longer because we weren't cohabiting for the whole time so they want to check our flights back and forth which I have provided. They said no news is good news but I still can't get a timeframe from them.

Has anyone got any tales about the interview part of the application and what they ask you in the interview? Will they ask me to bring or discuss more information, for example the details of what we've been doing together financially, socially, working living arrangements etc since the time of lodging the application?

Thanks so much for help once again!

Guest nicola c

i called up immi today as i'm currently in melbourne on a working holiday visa and have applied for an extension of the 6 month work with an employer rule, my 6 months is up next week and so need to find out if i need to find new employment. the girl on the hotline said nothing had been done about the extension request but a decision had been made on the 820 application but she couldn't tell me. i've never had anything requested since my application submission, didn't even now i had a case officer. is this good news or bad?

nic

i called up immi today as i'm currently in melbourne on a working holiday visa and have applied for an extension of the 6 month work with an employer rule, my 6 months is up next week and so need to find out if i need to find new employment. the girl on the hotline said nothing had been done about the extension request but a decision had been made on the 820 application but she couldn't tell me. i've never had anything requested since my application submission, didn't even now i had a case officer. is this good news or bad?

nic

Don't quote me on this but I believe that sounds like good news! In cases of refusal, natural justice usually prevails before any decision to refuse a visa. The CO will usually ask for more info, invite the applicant to comment on any complexities in his/her case that might render the application invalid, or conduct an interview. So inferring from all that - I believe no news = good news.

You should be getting a letter shortly regardless. It will come by registered mail.

In my case I had a blabbermouth on the national hotline, and found out about my grant even before I got the grant letter (which was sent the week after). I was subsequently told that they're not supposed to tell you about decisions over the phone, but it wasn't explained why this is so.

Guest nicola c

i think you maybe right. was on nights so have been sleeping but after i posted on here i found a notice that a registered letter had been left at the post office, can collect after 4 will let you know how it goes. nervous .....

Archived