IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Guest thelongwait

sorry, i should have made it clear I was talking about the task 1 academic in my previous post.

for the task 1 general, which is the letter, a good tip is to decide if its formal or informal. in a formal letter, e.g to someone you don't know, make sure to use some formal language eg. I would be very grateful if..../would it be possible for you to.../and don't use slang or abbreviations.

write in paragraphs, try to organise them logically, use link words (firstly, another thing i would like to mention, lastly...)

and make sure you answered all parts of the question. for example if the question tells you "Write to a garage, you had some problems with your car..." you need to think of more than one problem!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, im very cynical about it all now and feel its a money making scam between somebody. As previously said im no dumbass (my hubby would probally disagree, lol) have an O'level in English, English born and bred & obtained mainly A's in essays during my nurse training. However taken this test 3 times now and not got the required score of 7, (6.5) on the reading and last exam on the writing. When you are scoring 8.5's & 9s on all other subjects then get a 6.5 on one thing when they know you need a 7 (as you state it on your application), i feel now that something dodgy is going on. £120 a time just to sit + getting photos, travel & postage costs etc, + £60 for a remark, somebody is making a lot of money from us!!!! Im sorry for being negative, just so fed up with this, ready for walking away right now!!!

Lisa :sad:

Well what a day!!!!

Sat the academic IELTS test and I'm confident that I will be sitting it again!

Listening - was ok

Reading - felt like I just didnt have enough time and rushed my answers in the end. I thought I had done so much revision in this area, but now feel it was no way near enough!!!

Writing - task 1 - comparing 2 graphs of male/females weight - not too sure now, think I could have done better! Task 2 - modern communication e.g mobile phones discuss advantages/disadvantages - was ok

Speaking - introduce yourself, area where you live, books you have read etc

main discussion - was about a new piece of technology or equipment you are interested in - was ok

Now the long wait begins for the results - Need a drink 2nite!!!

Sharon

hiya, i'm an ielts examiner, and i often feel sorry for all the people taking the dreaded ielts test. personally i don't feel its a very fair test, especially since native speakers struggle with it too.

a few tips for the writing: did you find the public version of the writing scoring system? should be on the ielts website - let me know if you can't find it, i'll try to find a link. anyway, it shows how we mark your writing in 4 categories (response, organisation, vocab and grammar).

for a good response score: for task 1, don't analyse. (a lot of native speakers do but the question just asks you to report on the data picking out significant facts, just like it says in the peter may book. do include some numbers. don't give reasons why/analyse. also remember an overview or conclusion, which says something general about the data, eg. Overall, there is an upward trend. for task 2, start by giving an introduction that explains the topic, but don't just repeat the question, think of alternative words.

eg. question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of pets?

your introduction: These days many people have pets living in their homes. This brings them many benefits but there are also some drawbacks.

also make sure your position is clear, especially in the conclusion.

for a good organisation score, it helps to spend 2 minutes making a brief plan, for the task 2 before you start. the order should be logical, and don't repeat yourself. a lot of native speakers (and non-natives) forget to write in paragraphs. and by the way, a paragraph of just 1 sentence is considered bad style. you should have 3-5 paras for task 1 and i suppose 4-7 for task 2. also you should use some link words in both tasks (firstly, in conclusion, on the other hand, in contrast, in addition)

for vocab:try not to repeat words, espcially not words from the question, try to think of alternatives that mean the same thing.

for grammar: remember puncuation counts too.

good luck...

Thanks for this.

Can you answer 1 thing for me though. As you can see we are all getting a bit cynical now about this test and the cost of having to resit, the stress etc.... with the academic module, is everyone marked on the same criteria (I have seen the writing scoring system) despite their native language or is it we are marked harder because we are native english speakers.... "Well they are english, they should be able to write better than this"

It's just why should we be asked for our language at the top of the answer paper. If everyone is marked the same should this really matter???

Thanks for the tips, back to the drawing board now though as I am stranded in Spain, due to the volcanic ash. This would be a good topic for writing task 2.......... I am going to miss my test on 24th, can't get back until a week Monday at the earliest. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:+:mad: More money lost, unless due to the circumstances they might waive the cost + let me rebook my test with this fee.... Doubt it!! Sorry for being so cynical

I am going to miss my test on 24th, can't get back until a week Monday at the earliest. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:+:mad: More money lost, unless due to the circumstances they might waive the cost + let me rebook my test with this fee.... Doubt it!! Sorry for being so cynical

Sorry to hear your going to miss your test, i hope you get back soon. Iv just booked up for Los Angeles & Las Vegas in Oct as a 40th birthday treat hope its all gone by then!! im sorry my last post was negative im just really peed off with it all.

Lisa x

Guest thelongwait

yeah, I understand the cynicism, its all a big pain to do, just like the rest of the immigration process. in fact recently australian immigration invited proposals from other test systems recently, so in a year or two there might be other options, i think more competition would def be a good thing.

it should not matter what your first language is. i work in australia, marking speaking and writing for many non-natives who want to study or migrate here, plus a few natives (aussie and New zealand nurses have to take the ielts if they want to work in the UK for example). and i have never even noticed on the paper what language people speak. dunno if the examiners even see that part of the paper. certainly we don't mark it any different. we get a scoring sheet, have to pass a strict exam to qualify and are randomly moderated afterwards. if we are found to give an incorrect score, we then have to retrain. we have to retrain at 2-yearly intervals so it is really strict.

as for reading and listening, remember spelling and grammar count. also read the instructions really carefully. what is the word limit, does it say "one word only" or "up to 2 words and/or a number". does it say the answer should be "a word from the text" or can it be your own word?

the speaking shouldnt be a problem for any native speaker, the secret is just to talk as much as possible, some native speakers sort of lock up and go all shy, which could affect the mark. aim to give answers of at least 2 sentences, no matter how odd the questions seem! just rabbit on!

good luck...

yeah, I understand the cynicism, its all a big pain to do, just like the rest of the immigration process. in fact recently australian immigration invited proposals from other test systems recently, so in a year or two there might be other options, i think more competition would def be a good thing.

it should not matter what your first language is. i work in australia, marking speaking and writing for many non-natives who want to study or migrate here, plus a few natives (aussie and New zealand nurses have to take the ielts if they want to work in the UK for example). and i have never even noticed on the paper what language people speak. dunno if the examiners even see that part of the paper. certainly we don't mark it any different. we get a scoring sheet, have to pass a strict exam to qualify and are randomly moderated afterwards. if we are found to give an incorrect score, we then have to retrain. we have to retrain at 2-yearly intervals so it is really strict.

as for reading and listening, remember spelling and grammar count. also read the instructions really carefully. what is the word limit, does it say "one word only" or "up to 2 words and/or a number". does it say the answer should be "a word from the text" or can it be your own word?

the speaking shouldnt be a problem for any native speaker, the secret is just to talk as much as possible, some native speakers sort of lock up and go all shy, which could affect the mark. aim to give answers of at least 2 sentences, no matter how odd the questions seem! just rabbit on!

good luck...

Thanks sooo much for this great response. I am feeling a little more reassured now.

Yea, the speaking I got 9, and cannot believe how much we actually spoke about in 9 minutes. Quite enjoyed the chat we had. It's just the writing now and having the ideas to write about. But thanks for all the advice.

Now got extra few weeks to practice as I will definitely not make my IELTS test on Saturday. Rebooked to try and come home on 28th.

:notworthy:Helen

I am going to miss my test on 24th, can't get back until a week Monday at the earliest. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:+:mad: More money lost, unless due to the circumstances they might waive the cost + let me rebook my test with this fee.... Doubt it!! Sorry for being so cynical

Sorry to hear your going to miss your test, i hope you get back soon. Iv just booked up for Los Angeles & Las Vegas in Oct as a 40th birthday treat hope its all gone by then!! im sorry my last post was negative im just really peed off with it all.

Lisa x

Oh don't worry about feeling so negative. We are all feeling a bit like this.

You will have a fabulous time in LA and vegas. We absolutely love Vegas. Some people say it's a bit tacky, but we love it. I have a yearning to go back.......It's calling me. Might just have to be a treat for my 40th in February before we go to Australia.

There are so many things to see and do. Grand canyon trip is a must, get a flight in and do the quad bike ride in the canyon. Amazing!!!!!

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy..:notworthy:

Well, something positive about the IELTS. I contacted Harrogate Language academy today to say i will not be able to sit the test on Saturday. It looks like I may not loose my money as they have alot of people away stranded. Just waiting to hear back from them about possible reschedule date as they may be cancelling Saturdays test. Don't know yet but it is promising.

x Helen

I have just received an email from Harrogate Language academy, saying I will get a full refund for my test as I am still stranded in Spain. The british council has agreed to refund or rebook anyone due to the circumstances

Next test not until 15th June, just too far away.

So going to book a weekend in London and hopefully sit it on 15th May there.

At least something positive about this darn test.

xx Helen

Hi everyone,

Well, I went and sat the dreaded IELTS today and it was going really well until the writing section, and then I lost the plot. I am totally gutted, I panicked about the time, or the lack of it.

I done task 2 first and then task one. I underestimated task 1, it was a table detailing the percentages of students studying in Australia. In hindsight I can think of many points I could have raised but didn't. I used the Peter May book which advised not to give reasons in task 1, just state what you see but on discussing it with other candidates they had written possible explanations for the stated percentages in the table????

It's very difficult to analyse when you're under pressure.

I changed my mind about what I was writing, erased it, only to discover as I was proof reading that I had accidently erased part of the task 2 instead. With no time to fix it and half a senteance missing, I think I can safely say I will be resitting.

Task two was very straightforward. It was asking us to agree or disagree with a proposed ban on all advertising.

The listening and speaking was very easy. Reading was a bit more challenging.

I can only think, at least I know what to expect next time. Good luck to all who will be sitting it in the near future and all I can say is practice the reading and writing section. Back to the books for me.

Elizabeth

Just writing to say thinking about ya tomorrow, waiting for the post. I hope it is good news for you.

As you can see I am still stranded in Spain, but hope to rebook for May in London.

Good luck. Wait to hear some good news.

:hug::hug:

xx Helen

Guest joireland

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on your thread, As of now, I am still waiting on the results of my skills assessment, which id say will be late next week, I then have to try and book an Ielts , there is a test date in June coming up in Dublin ( where I live) , do you think I will be able to have all docs in on time for the 1st of July? ...I rang Belfast and they may be able to squeeze me for a May date.

Sooooo stressed...good luck to everyone doing there IELTS!

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on your thread, As of now, I am still waiting on the results of my skills assessment, which id say will be late next week, I then have to try and book an Ielts , there is a test date in June coming up in Dublin ( where I live) , do you think I will be able to have all docs in on time for the 1st of July? ...I rang Belfast and they may be able to squeeze me for a May date.

Sooooo stressed...good luck to everyone doing there IELTS!

Hi ya,

Results get sent out to you 13 days after the test, so it's usually 14 days when you actually recieve them. So if you do it by te 13th June,should be ok.

Some centres let you check online for the results, but the timescale is usually the same. I'm trying to rebook for May as I had to cancel my test tomorrow, cos i am stranded in Spain. Know the frustration, I just need to get everything sent off for my own sanity. Its just this test delaying everything. Book it as soon as you can, but make sure you get lots of practice......

All the best

Guest joireland

Thanks a mill Helen, and best of luck to you in your test, judging from other members on here, it isnt the easist thing to get the required marks!

Still waiting on vetassess, and will book straight away when I hear from them, will keep progress updated on thsi thread....poor you stranded in Spain, what a nightmare this volcano has been for people....best of luck to you in your test,,,,keep us posted! :)

I have just received an email from Harrogate Language academy, saying I will get a full refund for my test as I am still stranded in Spain. The british council has agreed to refund or rebook anyone due to the circumstances

Next test not until 15th June, just too far away.

So going to book a weekend in London and hopefully sit it on 15th May there.

At least something positive about this darn test.

xx Helen

Hi Helen,

Good news that you dont loose your money tomorrow!!

I know what you mean - with these next test dates, they are not very frequent - I've already been checking dates as i'm sure I will be sitting it again!!

Oh well, its another excuse for a break in London if you get booked onto it.

Sharon x

Hi everyone,

Well I've sat up waiting on the postman and he has brought good news.

Listening 9.0, Reading 8.5, Writing 7.5, Speaking 9.0. Overall Score of 8.5.

I'm sooo happy, the thought of resitting was terrible. I can now get off to my bed and sleep easy. I'm working again tonight so the celebrating will have to wait until tomorrow. I hope all you who are getting your results get good news, and good luck to all who are sitting the test.

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

I'm sooo happy, the thought of resitting was terrible. I can now get off to my bed and sleep easy. I'm working again tonight so the celebrating will have to wait until tomorrow. I hope all you who are getting your results get good news, and good luck to all who are sitting the test.

Elizabeth

Fantastic news. Well done you!!

Any tips ??? HeHeHe

Only forward now with the rest of the process. Keep in touch with your timeline. Be great to hear how it goes.

All the best.

:hug:xx Helen

Thanks everyone. I'm so chuffed and relieved I don't need to go through it again. I really thought I would have to resit to the point where I was nearly away booking another test last week. Glad I waited.

Well done Borby, it's a great weight off isn't it.

I think I probably just took everyone's advice about skim reading, reading the question carefully. There def not enough time to read and take in the full passage before answering questions so anyone who hasn't mastered skim reading then I would practice.

The writing I done task 2 first as someone on here had advised as it carried more weight. I did panic at the writing section as I hadn't practiced writing under such time constraints and I prob found that really hard. As long as you can write with some structure to it.

I used Peter Mays book which prepared me well for the reading section. Listening and speaking test was very easy.

I'm starting the process of skill assessment now, although I have already requested the transcript of training and verification of reg a few weeks back. Does anyone know how far I need to go back to request statements of employment? I've only been qualified 3 yrs so should I go further back than my nursing career? Fingers crossed for all those who are still going through the agonising wait. I'll keep posted with what stage I'm at.

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

Elizabeth

WOW Elizabeth, you have done fantastic, well done I bet you are on cloud 9!!!

Good luck with the rest of the process

Sharon

Guest emmawaterton

Hi

Just got word Les and I have passed our IELTS :rolleyes: Can't believe it, here comes the FUN x

Guest sun chasers

we've had hubby's general ielts results back yesterday - Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Writing 7.5, Speaking 8.5. Overall Score of 8.5. so chuffed, got it on his first attempt too!

just finished our application for the 175, now the real stress begins!!

Guest wanttogo
Fantastic news. Well done you!!

Any tips ??? HeHeHe

Only forward now with the rest of the process. Keep in touch with your timeline. Be great to hear how it goes.

All the best.

:hug:xx Helen

Hi Helen,

Thought I'll drop a quick word of advise. I passed my IELTS academic last year (needed it for ANMC and NBV reg). Got 8.5 from reading, listening and writing, and 7 for speaking (I'm not English native). My best source for preparation was:

Online IELTS Preparation Course - HIGH IMPACT IELTS

The only problem, you need to pay, but I believe it was well worth it (don't remember now how much, I think, around 30 euro). It was so brilliant, you can practice as much as you want, there is a real test simulation (all 4 subjects). So I was practicing every day for a week before the real exam and that was it. No books, no papers. Would recommend to everyone. Believe me, I spent ages and ages checking different options, but decided to give it a go with this one and it worked for me.

Best of luck!!!:wubclub:

Archived