IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Well, afraid not good news, need to resit. Just hoping can do it real soon.

Got an excellent overall score for academic IELTS Band 8, but unfortunately for us nurses it is not good enough. It was my writing that let me down.

Listening 8.5

Reading 7 whoo Hooo. This was the one I nearly cried at the start of +dreaded

Writing 6.5

Speaking 9 OVERALL 8.0

Can't believe it was by just half a point.... GUTTED !!!!!!!

Hope it's better news for everyone else.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest godsend

HI,

Iam GODSEND I wish success for everybody I intend to pass it but i have no idea about it can anyone help meSMILE

HI,

Iam GODSEND I wish success for everybody I intend to pass it but i have no idea about it can anyone help meSMILE

Which test are you sitting. Academic or General??????

Only certain occupations need to do IELTS academic, which is quite difficult in the reading and writing section. But lots of practice can improve your scores. Which i practised well for reading which i got band 7, which I am delighted with, cos I know I can pass when I resit. Writing essays you need to practise too.

There are then the listening and speaking sections which are quite easy if you are a native english speaker.

There are lots of threads on PIO on IELTS if you need help.

Good luck with it all.

Hey Helen,

Im sorry to hear it was not to be this time BUT!! like you said, you got the result on the reading part so not all bad,

Just a pain to have to do it again i guess but i bet you would walk it next time.

Well done for your efforts.

Its getting closer by the day,

All The Best

Kev

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you needed. :cry:

Weirdly, I found the Academic reading practice paper easier than the General reading one! Though the vocabulary was trickier, the language tended to be stricter, so less vague and not so open to interpretation.

Just as a suggestion, why not see if a local university or the Harrogate Language School (I'm guessing that they ran your test) could give you a few tutorials on the writing section.

Well, afraid not good news, need to resit. Just hoping can do it real soon.

Got an excellent overall score for academic IELTS Band 8, but unfortunately for us nurses it is not good enough. It was my writing that let me down.

Listening 8.5

Reading 7 whoo Hooo. This was the one I nearly cried at the start of +dreaded

Writing 6.5

Listening 9 OVERALL 8.0

Can't believe it was by just half a point.... GUTTED !!!!!!!

Hope it's better news for everyone else.

Awr no - so sorry you didnt pass it! You got an overall fantastic score though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do regarding resit or getting them to remark it.

I've got this blasted exam on 17th April in Leeds, was originally hoping for 27th March but booked up.

Sharon

Guest nevergiveup

Hi at least you passed the reading i also on my fourth sit. Bl....dy reading every time.

Just remenber in the writing

introduction RE word the question

what you think about subject ,your point of veiw

advantages

disavantages

conclusion.

Trust me stick to this and i am sure you wont go wrong.I am awaiting another sit ....or two

keep going see you in OZ...

Hi, I'm sitting the test on the 10th April in Glasgow. Pretty worried as there seems to be quite a few finding it difficult to score the required 7. I need to score 7 in the academic test for my nurse registration. I wasn't that concerned about the reading part but perhaps I should do some more work in that area. I'm pretty worried about the writing section and the topics, I'm hoping they keep them relatively simple.

Good luck to everyone who is about to sit their test, and those awaiting their results.

Hi at least you passed the reading i also on my fourth sit. Bl....dy reading every time.

Just remenber in the writing

introduction RE word the question

what you think about subject ,your point of veiw

advantages

disavantages

conclusion.

Trust me stick to this and i am sure you wont go wrong.I am awaiting another sit ....or two

keep going see you in OZ...

I knew exactly what happened in the writing. I was running out of time and rushed my conclusion. And in the end the last few sentences made no sense and think my conclusion totally contradicted my whole essay. So suppose I did well to get 6.5 Next time will take a few minutes -plan my essay, think about my introduction, jot down a few good points to write about,, then sum up with a decent conclusion and not just write down what came straight into my head. And i might do second essay first.

Will definitely get it next time.

Off to spain for easter for 2 weeks, will get lots of writing and reading in while lying in the sun.

It's just a bit gutting on the day, when you open that letter.......

Good luck with your retest!!!

How did everyone else get on with results today?????????????

I spent all my prep time on the reading section, thought writing would be a breeze as I thought I could write essays. It paid off but i needed to spend time on the writing aswell. Not done anything academic for 10 years. Just about got diploma. Mine is for nurse registration also.

Good luck....

Awr no - so sorry you didnt pass it! You got an overall fantastic score though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do regarding resit or getting them to remark it.

I've got this blasted exam on 17th April in Leeds, was originally hoping for 27th March but booked up.

Sharon

Hoping to resit on 17th also in Leeds if not booked up, if not maybe Harrogate week after. Posting application off tomorrow.

Good luck

Helen

Guest shooterguy

Hellsbells I would def get it remarked, I've read that they almost always increase the writing score when remarking

I got my results today as well

9 reading , 8.5 listening, 8 writing, 9 speaking , 8.5 overall.

I'm pleased with it but it was the general test not the academic that others sat, the general test is easier without a doubt.

Only thing is I got my victoria state sponsorship through a lot quicker than expected so I've actually sent my DIAC application without the results on it, (don't need the points for a state sponsored visa.)

Still I sat the exam at my old university near one of the halls where I sat my final exams, so it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Sorry to hear your news, i retook mine today for the 3rd time and sure iv failed on the reading again!!!. be aware about a remark a friend of mine got a 6.5 on the writing i was sure they would override it to a 7 but they didnt and kept it at a 6.5.

well back to waiting for results.

Lisa

Sorry to hear your news, i retook mine today for the 3rd time and sure iv failed on the reading again!!!. be aware about a remark a friend of mine got a 6.5 on the writing i was sure they would override it to a 7 but they didnt and kept it at a 6.5.

well back to waiting for results.

Lisa

I'm just going to resit it. Not got time to wait for remarking and then having to resit again anyway. Pretty fed up to be so close though. Anyway, hopefully get booked in for April 17th.

Sure you will of been ok today. Good luck. x

Helen

I'm just going to resit it. Not got time to wait for remarking and then having to resit again anyway. Pretty fed up to be so close though. Anyway, hopefully get booked in for April 17th.

Sure you will of been ok today. Good luck. x

Helen

Good luck Helen, hope you sail through next time :hug:

i got my results through for the general test and i'm chuffed to bits, 9 overall!!! being 1 step closer to emigrating and it coming closer is hitting harder and fear is starting to creep in with the excitement :eek: anyone got any tips on how i can send it away, pesky emotion, i wish it'd go away!

Guest Mrs PuffPuff

Hi Lisa, I too had my resit yesterday, wont tell you how many resits i've done now as i've lost count lol. I think I may have passed the reading section this time. But as I had been practicing the reading section so much I think I may have messed up in the writing section, my mind just went blank. Gee, and im sure they played the last section of the listening test in fast forward.

Angela xxx

Guest godsend

thanks a lot for your consideration I dont know which one I should pass but I think It should be the acadimic one since I wnt to work as a teacher in secondary school thank you again and i wish aaaaaaaaaaaall success for you

thanks a lot for your consideration I dont know which one I should pass but I think It should be the acadimic one since I wnt to work as a teacher in secondary school thank you again and i wish aaaaaaaaaaaall success for you

I think you only have to do general test. I was talking to a couple of people who were teachers when i did my test and they were taking the general. Both were amazed I had to do academic and they only took general when they were going to be teaching. But then again thats nursing for you. They just want to make everything sooooo difficult for us.

Really fed up today. Now it's all sunk in that I have to resit.

Helen

Guest china

Hi Hellsbells

My OH was in doing the general on the same day as you - the geordie teacher, I told him to do the second essay first as it was worth the most, and he said that he was very glad he did as he was running out of time for the 'first' one which he did second, and so was happy he hadn't done it the 'right way' round. So i definitely think your idea to do it that way is a good idea.

Also, I know the academic is more difficult, but it might be a good idea to get a broadsheet newspaper with lots of graphics in and set yourself a question each day and write a short essay on the graph, article, etc in the paper, that will get your creative juices flowing, and help you with the structure. The other thing tha tmight be handy could be to go to a WH Smith and buy a GSCE or A level english comprehesion revision book - i bet that would have great advice on structure, time management, and some similar practices?

Anyway good luck, you will be a veritable IETLS guru by the time you do your (I'm sure final) resit,

China x

Guest punita

I passed the IELTS general dated 06/03/2010...It was my third attempt and I was bit struggling with writing section and was getting only 6.5....I researched a lot what they want and finally ball is in my court. ..But yes its truely frustrating keep sitting every exams. But its worth to take consequetive dates than having gap in between..

My score: Reading....7 (lucky...)

writing/speaking...7.5

Listening...8

Ping me if you need any strategies...Happy to help you friends

Hi Hellsbells

My OH was in doing the general on the same day as you - the geordie teacher, I told him to do the second essay first as it was worth the most, and he said that he was very glad he did as he was running out of time for the 'first' one which he did second, and so was happy he hadn't done it the 'right way' round. So i definitely think your idea to do it that way is a good idea.

Also, I know the academic is more difficult, but it might be a good idea to get a broadsheet newspaper with lots of graphics in and set yourself a question each day and write a short essay on the graph, article, etc in the paper, that will get your creative juices flowing, and help you with the structure. The other thing tha tmight be handy could be to go to a WH Smith and buy a GSCE or A level english comprehesion revision book - i bet that would have great advice on structure, time management, and some similar practices?

Anyway good luck, you will be a veritable IETLS guru by the time you do your (I'm sure final) resit,

China x

I think I might have been speaking to your OH that day. I've just gone out today and bought a book on how best to write essays.

Looks like wont be able to resit until 24th April. Bummer!!!

Anyway how did your OH do. I gather he passed??????????

Thanks for advice.

X Helen

Archived