register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest cruise

Winters: Adelaide v Perth

Guest cruise

Hi. We are debating between the two cities. Can someone please elaborate on how the winters differ? Which city is more colder? Which city receives more rain? Thanks

Cruise

I am from Adelaide originally (30 odd years) but have spent the last 2 years living in Perth (with 2 years in UK in between).

Ok, the official line is both have what is termed a Mediterranean climates, characterised by mild wet winters (ie most rain falls in winter, not that they are especially wet) and hot summers. They are both around the same line of latitude 33-34 degrees south so they also have about the same number of daylight hours.

Adelaide receives around 535mm (about 24 inches) of rain for the whole year. Perth receives more rain at about 850mm (33 inches). Both cities seem to have had drier than normal years recently.

Adelaide definitely has slightly colder winters (June-August) than Perth in my opinion. Having said that the lowest daily maximum in Adelaide would be 14 or 15 degrees celsius. Perth by contrast would be more in the 17-19 degree range. Night time temperatures can get to freezing in winter (when it's clear) in both places, otherwise 7 or 8 degree night time temperatures would be the norm. Note that even though it's winter, often that means showers followed by bright sunny days, rather than "setting in" of grey clouds.

For summers, I personally feel that Adelaide has the hotter days, and longer heat waves as it dosn't often don't get the cool daily SW breeze that Perth gets. In both cities expect from November - March to regularly get temperatures in excess of 35 degrees c. I remember being in Adelaide about 7 or 8 years ago and it was 46 degrees.

Note that in both cities it's a dry heat.

A word of warning, you'll probably find that you feel cold inside in Australia in Winter as our houses generally are designed to keep cool. Whilst living in England with lovely central heating I found the winters inside were toasty warm. I did find buildings hot and stuffy in summer though. Here it's the reverse - and you'll often find only the lounge room is heated so bedrooms are cold. I'd guess that electric blankets are more in use here than in UK.

:laugh:

Guest cruise

Hey. Thanks so much for the informative post.

I am from Adelaide originally (30 odd years) but have spent the last 2 years living in Perth (with 2 years in UK in between).

Ok, the official line is both have what is termed a Mediterranean climates, characterised by mild wet winters (ie most rain falls in winter, not that they are especially wet) and hot summers. They are both around the same line of latitude 33-34 degrees south so they also have about the same number of daylight hours.

Adelaide receives around 535mm (about 24 inches) of rain for the whole year. Perth receives more rain at about 850mm (33 inches). Both cities seem to have had drier than normal years recently.

Adelaide definitely has slightly colder winters (June-August) than Perth in my opinion. Having said that the lowest daily maximum in Adelaide would be 14 or 15 degrees celsius. Perth by contrast would be more in the 17-19 degree range. Night time temperatures can get to freezing in winter (when it's clear) in both places, otherwise 7 or 8 degree night time temperatures would be the norm. Note that even though it's winter, often that means showers followed by bright sunny days, rather than "setting in" of grey clouds.

For summers, I personally feel that Adelaide has the hotter days, and longer heat waves as it dosn't often don't get the cool daily SW breeze that Perth gets. In both cities expect from November - March to regularly get temperatures in excess of 35 degrees c. I remember being in Adelaide about 7 or 8 years ago and it was 46 degrees.

Note that in both cities it's a dry heat.

A word of warning, you'll probably find that you feel cold inside in Australia in Winter as our houses generally are designed to keep cool. Whilst living in England with lovely central heating I found the winters inside were toasty warm. I did find buildings hot and stuffy in summer though. Here it's the reverse - and you'll often find only the lounge room is heated so bedrooms are cold. I'd guess that electric blankets are more in use here than in UK.

:laugh:

Also it depends on where you live outside the main metropolitan area. The weather in the adelaide hills is not the same as the weather in aldinga beach for example - I remember leaving Mount barker in grey drizzle one day and needing sunscreen in Marion when I arrived there!

If you build a house pay for better insulation that the standard and double glazing - we did and it helps both summer and winter.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Also it depends on where you live outside the main metropolitan area. The weather in the adelaide hills is not the same as the weather in aldinga beach for example - I remember leaving Mount barker in grey drizzle one day and needing sunscreen in Marion when I arrived there!

If you build a house pay for better insulation that the standard and double glazing - we did and it helps both summer and winter.

Best laugh i had all week or was it an heart attack when got a double glazing quote :shocked:

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Well it didn't cost us a fortune - honest the builder raised his eyebrows but after doing a bit of research he got similar windows to the original spec for a very reasonable price. They will pay for themselves in conserving hot and cold but also in sound insulation!

It is becoming much more common now as eco-builds are taking off

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Guest Guest9973

Double glazing will come down in price eventually as the market demands it.

A friend here in Adelaide has a double glazing company,he is having the units built in China to keep the costs down.

More insulation would help the houses here.

I love having the fire burning on the cooler evenings as well.

:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Double glazing will come down in price eventually as the market demands it.

A friend here in Adelaide has a double glazing company,he is having the units built in China to keep the costs down.

More insulation would help the houses here.

I love having the fire burning on the cooler evenings as well.

:biggrin:

Tasmania have brought in new building regs, double glazing and insulation is compulsary.... I too love my log fires, just the smell is guaranteed to have me:jiggy: susie

Guest Guest9973
Tasmania have brought in new building regs, double glazing and insulation is compulsary.... I too love my log fires, just the smell is guaranteed to have me:jiggy: susie

I loved our log fire but Betsy is 22 and rather unsafe now .Having to go through the pain of buyig a new Betsy then becoming accustomed to her idiosyncrasies.

Plus the pain of having to fork out around $2500

I have 10 ton + free firewood as long as my mate has his farm so I reckon it is worth it.

Interesting to see Tas make new regs for insulation!:notworthy:

Guest siamsusie
I loved our log fire but Betsy is 22 and rather unsafe now .Having to go through the pain of buyig a new Betsy then becoming accustomed to her idiosyncrasies.

Plus the pain of having to fork out around $2500

I have 10 ton + free firewood as long as my mate has his farm so I reckon it is worth it.

Interesting to see Tas make new regs for insulation!:notworthy:

Yes Tyke, it is an outlay for these Betsies:daydreaming: but well worth it if your logs are free. OH's family are farmers, so we visit ver often in the winter periods... I hope you will find a new Betsy soon:hug:

http://www.bom.gov.au/calendar/annual/climate.shtml

I have spent 10 years in each city, Perth is much hotter than Adelaide, nearly 3 degrees hotter on average during summer and more in winter. Perth also gets humid troughs and warm ocean currents  from the tropical north and the sea temperature around Perth is much warmer than the southern ocean of SA although the Lewin current does hit their shores from.WA.

Like Adelaide temperatures fluctuate around Perth, the coast is cooler and hills is much hotter.

The heatwaves in Adelaide are long as they are in Perth but Perth doesnt cool off like Adelaide does, it rarely falls below 30 degrees in Perth during Dec through to March.

5 hours ago, dmaau said:

http://www.bom.gov.au/calendar/annual/climate.shtml

I have spent 10 years in each city, Perth is much hotter than Adelaide, nearly 3 degrees hotter on average during summer and more in winter. Perth also gets humid troughs and warm ocean currents  from the tropical north and the sea temperature around Perth is much warmer than the southern ocean of SA although the Lewin current does hit their shores from.WA.

Like Adelaide temperatures fluctuate around Perth, the coast is cooler and hills is much hotter.

The heatwaves in Adelaide are long as they are in Perth but Perth doesnt cool off like Adelaide does, it rarely falls below 30 degrees in Perth during Dec through to March.

This thread is over seven years old! 

Where did you find it?