Summer/ Winter nights

Proview220

do you get longer days in the summer in Australia like we do in the uk, or does it get dark quite early all year round, I look forward to the summer light nights getting dark around 10pm.

Proview

G'day mate, it's exactly the same as in the northern hemisphere; the closer to the equator, the shorter the days. Conversely, the further away from the equator, the longer the days.

In Tassie, the daylight hours are longer than in, say, Mackay. Here, in Mackay, the sunrise variation is only 1.5 hours throughout the year; sunrise in winter is 6.30 am and in summer, it's 5 am and NO stupid daylight saving...

As Australia is closer to the equator, there is not as much daylight variation as in the UK.

Tasmania lies between latitudes 40 and 45 deg south whereas the UK lies between latitudes 50 and 60 deg north, meaning that the tassie daylight hours are slightly less than the UK.

Cheers, Bobj.

do you get longer days in the summer in Australia like we do in the uk, or does it get dark quite early all year round, I look forward to the summer light nights getting dark around 10pm.

Proview

I don't really know,I am in bed before dark lol:biglaugh:

Guest Letasha

When I spoke to a chap from Sunshine Beach (which i think he said is near Noosa? Not sure) he said that although its dark around 6.30/7pm all of the sports pitches etc are floodlit so its not really a problem. You will just have to get some really funky garden lights for those long evenings relaxing outside in the lovley weather - its a tough life eh lol

Guest siamsusie
G'day mate, it's exactly the same as in the northern hemisphere; the closer to the equator, the shorter the days. Conversely, the further away from the equator, the longer the days.

In Tassie, the daylight hours are longer than in, say, Mackay. Here, in Mackay, the sunrise variation is only 1.5 hours throughout the year; sunrise in winter is 6.30 am and in summer, it's 5 am and NO stupid daylight saving...

As Australia is closer to the equator, there is not as much daylight variation as in the UK.

Tasmania lies between latitudes 40 and 45 deg south whereas the UK lies between latitudes 50 and 60 deg north, meaning that the tassie daylight hours are slightly less than the UK.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 weeks ago Bob it was still light around 9.30pm, the days are shortening now a bit , its auturmn today, wonderful....:hug:

Guest siamsusie

I was about to say the same thing :smile: We had to put the electric blanket on last night!

You can feel it in the air, its wonderful HL... My electric blanket is coming over at the weekend from temps of 44+, cant wait! :hug:

Guest siamsusie

I know some people think daylight savings is stupid, and while Queensland doesn't have it, we in Victoria do, and I like the long light summer nights outside. I know there are problems with it for farmers etc

I love it in Tasmania Olly, its just wonderful sitting outside until all hours. WA have just lost it, and I do understand some peoples displeasure but up north daylight saving was a killer. Unbearable temperatures until 8/9pm, tough on the outside workers, and I found dinner at 9.30 just as it was cooling down just too late. They gave the trial period a fair run!:wubclub: Susie

Guest Guest31881

When i came to QLD last June i found it strange that it went dark so early but it was winter here, now summer has passed I found that I did not miss the light summer evenings and I just seem to have adapted to it getting dark by 7.30. On hot summer days its nice to sit outside in the evening when the sun sets and its cooling down. :biggrin:

Guest Bernicem80

I never realised that it was dark here earlier than in the UK until I moved out here!

Its a bit of a shame in the summer evenings when its dark by about 6.30pm, but like the others say its cooler and most places are lit up, so you can still go for a stroll along the beach and enjoy it!

Dont want to hijack your thread here but does anyone if Perth has lighter evenings? Its a question I've always meant to ask

G'day mate, Perth is on the same latitude as Taree, NSW, so the twilights will be about an hour............I think:err:

Cheers, Bobj.

I love it in Tasmania Olly, its just wonderful sitting outside until all hours. WA have just lost it, and I do understand some peoples displeasure but up north daylight saving was a killer. Unbearable temperatures until 8/9pm, tough on the outside workers, and I found dinner at 9.30 just as it was cooling down just too late. They gave the trial period a fair run!:wubclub: Susie

Yes, SS, you can do that in Tassie..It's too cold for mossies.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
Yes, SS, you can do that in Tassie..It's too cold for mossies.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Oi "Wise Man", I will have you know we have had a heat wave over here, brought it over with me from the west, and the odd mossie or two was friendly as well!!:tongue:

I am in Brisbane and one of the thing I DO miss is the long summer nights. I hate it when it gets dark early.

I loved those 10pm sunsets

In that case, mate, I suggest that you go to Macquarie Island. It is on latitude 54.35 S

It's equivalent is Middlesborough...

Macquarie Island? About half way between the southern tip of South Island, New Zealand and Antarctica...:wink:

Macquarie Island - Australian Antarctic Division

Cheers, Bobj.

I quite like that it gets dark earlier. To me, the evenings feel like when you are on holiday and the crickets are singing around dusk/after dark. Makes me feel summery and relaxed! In the winter, I think it gets dark around 4.30 (can't remember). Last year we were in a rental that was very drafty and cold, but this year we are in our own home. I have been draft-proofing the house and we also have a wood burning stove in the living room, so I am very much looking forwards to cosying up by the fire!

Archived