Citizenship of the UK by descent

Peach

Hi, my partner is an Australian by birth. As her mother is a British citizen by birth, she is also entitled to British citizenship by descent. Has anyone gone through the process of applying for a British passport under these circumstances? The British equivalent of the DIAC website is less clear than I would hope!

Guest Guest31881

Its been 8 years ago and things may have changed but my wife claimed British citizenship by decent through her father.

Phoned embassy to get the forms

Obtained copy of fathers birth certificate and her birth certificate. Not sure if she had a copy of parents marriage certificate.

Filled forms in and paid fee, took a couple of weeks to come back.

They have probably made it more complicated now:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Nah it's still fairly easy I think Colin.

All that you have to so is go to

How to apply

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-apply/

download form CI and the notes that go with it (c2)

(They will have the details of what documents you need to supply ),also download the fee sheet as well,get the photos done and take them to an Australia Post outlet where they will check the forms etc and take your money theb they send them off to New Zealand for processing and you get the passport in the mail about 4-6 weeks later.

I think we're in a similar situation!

My husband is Ausralian by birth and our son was born over here and we're currently waiting for his certificate of citizenship by decsent.

Our daughter was born in Australia and we had to apply for her british passport whilst still over there. From what I can remember it was a very straight forward process and we had her british passport within a week of applying.

Best wishes.

my partner falls into this category:

Born outside the UK after 7 February 1961 but before 1 January 1983:

Applicants need to be registered in order to be eligible for a British passport.

Please refer to the citizenship area of the website for how to register as a British citizen.

the citizenship area seems to send me in circles...

Archived