and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest LynzLove

Help with Spouse Visa (820 and 801) - 2 part question

Guest LynzLove

Hello everyone.

It has been a long time since I come here last - the last time I was here was last year some time, and I was panicking big time over getting my first stage visa in and it being accepted in Perth.

Anyhow, I actually GOT the first stage visa! WOHOO! :jiggy:

But now I want to know what I need to have by the time that two years is up, so I can be really prepared this time!

I have practically the entire two years to get things together, so whatever is needed it is likely I will be able to get by that time. I keep seeing that it says that if after two years I "still meet the legal requirements" I will get the second stage visa - What are those legal requirements?

SECONDLY

Is there anywhere I can go to see what I can do now I have my subclass 820 visa? Like medicare and so on? Is there an actual site that the Immigration Dept. have set up to tell people what they can do now that they have their first stage visa? For example, can I now work, and how do I go about it?

Also, on a side note: I didn't receive my confirmation letter from the Department, but they are now aware of that fact and my case worker is going to see if she can send me another one - was there a passport label or anything I needed to get at this stage?

Like I said I have almost the whole two years to get things together, any suggestions will be useful and appreciated

Thanks!!

LynzLove

Guest siamsusie

So lovely to see your name spring up in my wee box Lynz, If you are on your defacto visa for 2 years then you should have full work rights and medicare as well. You just go to the Medicare office with your Immigration Visa status, fill out a form and then they give you a medicare number whilst awaiting for your card. Thrilled you have sorted things out, I hope you are happy here in this great land... You can take your passport into DIAC for a stamp but also it will be electronically attached to your passport. Susie x

Guest LynzLove

Can nobody else help?:confused:

:biggrin:

Hi Lynz,

This page will help you get started: Things to do First

As far as the requirements for the second stage visa go, I took that to mean still being in the same relationship, not having got into any serious trouble etc. So basically just the same requirements we had to meet to get the first stage visa.

Best of luck :smile:

H.L.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Guest welshn

I am sure you have full work, study and medicare rights for the first 2 years on an temp 820 visa before it even becomes a perm 820 visa after those 2 years????

Correct - you have full work and medicare rights on the temp visa - to evidence this you can take or send your passport to DIAC and they will put a visa sticker in it - it is also electronically recorded though, as someone else has mentioned. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting my sticker though, as I can actually see it!

Medicare get an electronic feed from DIAC of visa grants, so you may well be OK to go to Medicare without your sticker (not sure when you were granted though, so I'll just tell you that you need to wait about 10 days-2 weeks for it to show up on their systems).

If you need to go to the doctor in the meantime, you can pay for it and then present your receipt to Medicare for a refund when you enrol, because your entitlement does start from date of visa grant, even though you're not enrolled yet.

As for second-stage visa processing, you have to evidence that you're still in the same relationship - so keep a selection of financial and household records, cards, joint mail, invitations - the same sort of evidence that you submitted first time around - I have heard that DIAC write to you a few weeks before the end of your temp visa and ask for this.

applied for 309/100 19/1/10, 309 VISA GRANTED 28/4 - arrived Sydney 4/2/11, second stage visa app lodged Jan 2012, PR visa (100) GRANTED 7/6/12, now waiting for babywellie to come join us!:biggrin:

Guest LynzLove
Hi Lynz,

This page will help you get started: Things to do First

As far as the requirements for the second stage visa go, I took that to mean still being in the same relationship, not having got into any serious trouble etc. So basically just the same requirements we had to meet to get the first stage visa.

Best of luck :smile:

H.L.

Thank you so much for this! There are things on here I didn't even know existed, or that I had any right to register with!

The 'Australian Taxation Office' website is down at the moment, hopefully it will be up and running again very soon!

thank_you_051.jpg

Hi You will have full work rights and medicare. I have been together with my Ozzie husband for 7 years now living in UK but heading back to Oz in August this year. We have had to apply for uk residency and now Oz residency. We have kept all kinds of paperwork from when we first met such as bills, bank statements, holiday tickets etc so we have always had the evidence for each visa. The legal requirements just mean you are still in a relationship with your partner and you can prove it. Good Luck!

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au