Centrelink query

Guest hanna

Hi,

Is it just me or is it really hard to find out benefit entitlements with Centrelink? I've been on their rate estimator website but can't seem to find any information.

There's myself, partner and two children - a 2 year old and a 4 month old. We would be emigrating on a 175 visa and it would potentially just be my partner working, for minimum wage. A struggle I know!

Any ideas on the sort of financial assistance we would get would be greatly appreciated.

You are not alone! I too had problems navigating the website to the relevant information and ultimately found the estimator tool. I used this to get a ballpark figure. There is what seems to be a complicated range of assistance on offer and it is confusing at first glance.

Hopefully someone with recent practical experience can help you out.

Guest ashmalog

On a 175 you are entitled to childcare benefit like the uk. You could also get family assistance A with rent assistance too. They try and discourage people coming into the country from claiming benefits as it is a drain on resources. It is best to budget on your OH wage and if you are entitled to anything then it's a bonus. Don't rely on it as an income.

Guest 666dame

Hi Hanna

I have managed to find this site which should give you an idea of the benefits, not sure if the figures are for 2009 or 2010, but it should be reasonably accurate. No good for us as we are on a 475 visa and wouldnt qualify.

AUSMOD

Dame

You emigrating with no money then? Not wise if you have small children to feed!

We're looking at worst case scenario. And you're making a lot of assumptions. It's now or never as my OH is 44. We're faced with the prospect of trying to improve our lives while we've got the opportunity or giving up and treading water in the UK.

I'd rather try now and struggle rather than tell my children we had the option to give them dual citizenship but bottled it.

Hi Hanna

I have managed to find this site which should give you an idea of the benefits, not sure if the figures are for 2009 or 2010, but it should be reasonably accurate. No good for us as we are on a 475 visa and wouldnt qualify.

AUSMOD

Dame

Thanks Dame, that looks really useful.

Hi Hanna

AUSMOD

Dame

Thanks thats really helpful, I think we all should be able to claim child benefit and rent assist if its there for us, thats the incentive the Australian Government are giving to entice skilled workers to Australia isnt it or am I missing the point. My husband will work full time and I will work part time when we have all settled, and this will help in the interim.

Thanks again Dame I will keep that calculater in my favourites for later.

Thanks thats really helpful, I think we all should be able to claim child benefit and rent assist if its there for us, thats the incentive the Australian Government are giving to entice skilled workers to Australia isnt it or am I missing the point. My husband will work full time and I will work part time when we have all settled, and this will help in the interim.

Thanks again Dame I will keep that calculater in my favourites for later.

Exactly. Thanks Que Sera, Sera.

You emigrating with no money then? Not wise if you have small children to feed!

We're looking at worst case scenario. And you're making a lot of assumptions. It's now or never as my OH is 44. We're faced with the prospect of trying to improve our lives while we've got the opportunity or giving up and treading water in the UK.

I'd rather try now and struggle rather than tell my children we had the option to give them dual citizenship but bottled it.

There were no assumptions made. If you notice the question mark that means I am asking a question assuming anything.

Although how is treading water or struggling in the UK any different to treading water and struggling in Australia?

There were no assumptions made. If you notice the question mark that means I am asking a question assuming anything.

Although how is treading water or struggling in the UK any different to treading water and struggling in Australia?

The 'not wise' part sounded a bit judgmental, that's all. We want to emigrate partly for the outdoors lifestyle for our little ones, it's easier to have days out cheaply in a warmer climate I think. And the 'treading water' point is that working towards dual citizenship, for us, is a step forward, so we wouldn't feel like we're treading water in Oz.

My occupation is on the CSL but as I understand it that doesn't guarantee I'll easily find work. As a worst case scenario we're budgeting on my OH working: his occupation is on the SOL, but we're anticipating him struggling to find work too and having to do a minimum wage job. We feel that if it's doable on our most pessimistic calculations, we'll be fine!

• 2 months later...

I am very surprised at your question. Why would you be looking at benefits? I have lived both in UK and OZ originally british, and have gone backwards and forwards, at the moment looking at going back . I would not even consider looking at benefits. Have never had a cent in my life off either UK or OZ! Never had family allowance or anything, don't even know of any other benefits. It just seems to me that people from the UK seems to expect the Govt to keep them. If you cannot afford to come don't come. I would not have thought you would get anything off OZ? We are curerntly looking at returning either for 12 months or for good, but in my calculations have never consider the UK giving us anything. Sorry to be so blunt, but i think it's wrong!

There is a two year wait for most benefits if you have pr except FTB and childcare

you can download this guide which i find useful

Guide to Australian Government payments

there is so much more that you will be paying out for that we take for granted in the UK: e.g GP visit ( although some docs bulk bill), prescriptions for kids, contraception, school books, bank fees.

I have not found utilty or food bills any cheaper. spend more time in Aldi and Reject Shop.

On a positive: No TV licence, car insurance not compulsory, petrol cheaper!

Guest guest17520
I am very surprised at your question. Why would you be looking at benefits? I have lived both in UK and OZ originally british, and have gone backwards and forwards, at the moment looking at going back . I would not even consider looking at benefits. Have never had a cent in my life off either UK or OZ! Never had family allowance or anything, don't even know of any other benefits. It just seems to me that people from the UK seems to expect the Govt to keep them. If you cannot afford to come don't come. I would not have thought you would get anything off OZ? We are curerntly looking at returning either for 12 months or for good, but in my calculations have never consider the UK giving us anything. Sorry to be so blunt, but i think it's wrong!

I don't understand when people say they would never consider getting benefits. If this is what our tax dollars are going towards, why not claim it?

Have you ever used the NHS? gone to a public school or sent your kids to one? What's the difference between doing that and claiming benefits? Not much I think.

Judgmental posts are not helpful, this person is asking what they would be entitled to, and probably doesn't want someone judging them and telling them they are a bad person.

I don't understand when people say they would never consider getting benefits. If this is what our tax dollars are going towards, why not claim it?

Have you ever used the NHS? gone to a public school or sent your kids to one? What's the difference between doing that and claiming benefits? Not much I think.

Judgmental posts are not helpful, this person is asking what they would be entitled to, and probably doesn't want someone judging them and telling them they are a bad person.

Hi, I know my response sounds very grumpy and that was how i was feeling at the time, but in response you your quote this is what i think. Yes i have used the NHS (obviously) because this is the general system in the UK. No i have never used State Schools for my children, however i did go to state shcool in the UK myself. I would also consider it in the UK if we do go back, not saying we would use it, but would consider it. However if i were moving to another country i would not even consider expecting them to give me anything. I might add i do not expect the UK to give my family any benefits after living away for over 20 years, it has not even entered my thoughts, but i have read some previous posts which say we are entitled to nothing anyway, because we have lived away so long. So why would a totally new resident comming to OZ be entitled to anything? As i stated i have been here all these years and have never received FTB (i think this is child allowance) or anything else. I apologise the original person who asked the question, as it was not a slight on you personally, but more of a general response.

Joy

Guest guest17520
Hi, I know my response sounds very grumpy and that was how i was feeling at the time, but in response you your quote this is what i think. Yes i have used the NHS (obviously) because this is the general system in the UK. No i have never used State Schools for my children, however i did go to state shcool in the UK myself. I would also consider it in the UK if we do go back, not saying we would use it, but would consider it. However if i were moving to another country i would not even consider expecting them to give me anything. I might add i do not expect the UK to give my family any benefits after living away for over 20 years, it has not even entered my thoughts, but i have read some previous posts which say we are entitled to nothing anyway, because we have lived away so long. So why would a totally new resident comming to OZ be entitled to anything? As i stated i have been here all these years and have never received FTB (i think this is child allowance) or anything else. I apologise the original person who asked the question, as it was not a slight on you personally, but more of a general response.

Joy

Thanks for your response.

IMO if the money is on offer I will take it, especially if it means I can give me daughter a better life. We'd all love to be in a position where we can say "I would never take any benefits" but not everyone can do that and it doesn't mean that those people who would take the money are more lazy or not as hard working as the people who wouldn't take the money. It's all down to circumstances.

Anyway, getting off topic, back to the original thread...

Guest hanna

Just reading through the replies to my original query. Thanks to everyone who has tried to answer my question - I really appreciate the help.

It was sad to read all the judgmental replies. I probably didn't make my situation clear in the thread. My partner and I will be looking for work as soon as we set foot in Australia. We're looking now but the general concensus is that it's a lot easier once you're actually in Australia. We have money to go out with but are starting to panic as the date gets nearer. I just wanted to know that if we really struggled to find work we would have some support.

And yes we would be happy to claim benefits if we needed to. We have paid a fortune over the years into the benefit system and wouldn't have a problem with using it if we fell on bad times.

My understanding was this thread was for those wanting to find out more information on the centrelink system ..... not views or opinions of individuals towards those who may need financial support in the form of benefits. It's simply not constructive. Sorry to be so blunt ! maybe another thread covering this topic should be started

• 2 years later...

Hello all -

Hoping someone can help me. I have not been working for the last few months and am wondering if I can claim unemployment benefits of any kind. I suspect not, but wanted to check. My residency circumstances are below:

- living in Australia since 2004

- student visa 2004-9

- permanent residency granted March 2012

- eligible to apply for citizenship March 2013

I don't think I meet the residency requirement, but suspect this may chance if I am granted citizenship in a few months.

Archived