what would be the average wage WA?

cobbler

just 4 the record gill ...im not a domestic cleaner ....i clean vacated rental properties and properties where they want a full clean top to toe front to back .....i scrub walls / wash windows / clean balconies etc ........fortunately the homes i do are owned by well of ozzies who just cant be bothered doin it themselves ....so hence the high hourly rate ....thankyou :hug:

mrs keily

just 4 the record gill ...im not a domestic cleaner ....i clean vacated rental properties and properties where they want a full clean top to toe front to back .....i scrub walls / wash windows / clean balconies etc ........fortunately the homes i do are owned by well of ozzies who just cant be bothered doin it themselves ....so hence the high hourly rate ....thankyou :hug:

mrs keily

I was lookin in to doin a business like that mrs k ( get practice at home lol) I would gurantee cleaning with a bond guarantee so they get no deductions thro muckiness. Theres too many in the carpet cleaning game

Hi Gill,

I'll gladly PM Cobbler with some of my costs when I get in from work tomorrow, right now I'm off to bed. I'm confident that it can be done but like I've always stressed, it depends very much on what you want, need and expect. You can rent a 4 bedroomed house for $350 a week in some of the less desirable spots or even just the way out of town spots. We survived on $55k for over 6 months with no real savings to back us up. Extremely tough but we managed. It depends what you are prepared to accept in order to get a foot in the door here I suppose.

PS..your research is more or less spot on.

Fess up you had 6 months rent paid up front ,that would put a hole in any bodies money, be truthful

Just thought I would offer my experience living in Perth with three young kids. As Fiona said it can be done on 50k or less.... We are living proof. I didn't bring a huge amount of money with us but we are determined to make it work. Take no notice of the those who say you can't manage it all depends on how much you want to live in Perth. There are suburbs NOR which are cheaper like Beldon and Clarkson which are somewhat cheaper but still great suburbs, however it's all to do with your expectations :-) hope this helps.

P.s If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all!

Guest Gollywobbler
hi cobbler ...what exactly is it you do ??? ....im a cleaner and i get $30 an hour ....more than my o/h ...but then i do worker harder than him :wink:

mrs keily

Hi Julie

Thanks very much for this.

The conversation that I had with my sister Elaine was about a year ago.

Elaine cleans the kitchens and bathrooms once a week per person for people who are old, ill or disabled. She works for Silver Chain, which is a charity. A year ago she said that she was getting $20 an hour gross but the job suits her because she can arrange the appointments at times which suit her, so she can fit the work around looking after her own home and family first.

She mentioned that if she cleaned private houses (just ordinary cleaning - not the walls etc) she could get $25 an hour. Elaine said she didn't think that this was worth an extra $5 an hour. She said that the people whom she looks after are grateful that anyone turns up to do any of their cleaning at all, she likes her clients and they like her etc, plus Elaine is not prepared to clean a child's bedroom just because the child is being brought up to be too spoilt and/or too precious to do it him or herself instead.

Now you are saying that you get $30 an hour but for that the home will get the Full Monty with what the cruise ships call "Deep Cleaning." That corresponds exactly with the two examples that Elaine gave me, so thanks very much for this information.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Just thought I would offer my experience living in Perth with three young kids. As Fiona said it can be done on 50k or less.... We are living proof. I didn't bring a huge amount of money with us but we are determined to make it work. Take no notice of the those who say you can't manage it all depends on how much you want to live in Perth. There are suburbs NOR which are cheaper like Beldon and Clarkson which are somewhat cheaper but still great suburbs, however it's all to do with your expectations :-) hope this helps.

P.s If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all!

Hi Shellyt

Thanks VERY much for this information. I mentioned to Cobbler that I have heard of Clarkson, and that although some people say it is ghastly and that there are much nicer suburbs around, other people say that Clarkson suits them down to the ground so a huge amount does depend on someone's own perceptions.

I'd never heard of Beldon so I will look at that next. Many thanks for the name!

I've never been to Clarkson because my sister lives SOR and always has, so when I visit Perth there is usually one day trip to the Perth CBD and the odd drive along the road along the coast - the road that goes past all the various beaches and the suburbs overlooking the beaches. You can't tell anything from that exercise, really.

And mostly I'm just plain confused anyway, unclear about where anywhere is in relation to anywhere else! People don't expect tourists to know much or do much by themselves and the locals always know where the best spots to go to are etc.

So I'm not a huge amount of help to Cobbler on the practical front because I've never moved to Perth and simply had to cope with it. I've never had to work out how to get from the airport to Elaine's house, even, because she comes to the airport herself and all I need to do is to sit in the car whilst she gets everyone to her house etc! Exactly where the airport might be was a complete blur till I got cracking with some maps etc!

Cheers

Gill

mrs keily

What a great job, must be hard work but better than £5.63 and hour cleaning offices in the centre of Bristol. Are you self employed or do you work for a company?

I am stunned that anyone would want to migrate to the other side of the world for a minimum wage job with just $5k in the bank.

Britain can't be that bad can it?

I'm not "stunned" at all, it's called a life style choice, on minimum wage in the uk you most certainly can't live the way I do know. Life isn't always about how much you earn and having a huge bank account.

Guest guest17301

For the record, I did not pay my rent upfront for 6 months. Thanks for casting that aspersion Mally, appreciate it! Some people are just jealous of resourceful people who are happy despite being poor. Tough I say, if you don't agree with it thats your problem, butt out of my business. I try to help people on PIO achieve what we have achieved by sharing MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I saw your other thread Cobbler, I moved from Stoke myself. Stoke and skint or Perth and skint I know which I prefer.

Hats off to people like Fiona and Shelly who prove that you don't have to have loads of money to make your dreams a reality ..... Good on ya. If people are reallistic and resourceful they can find a way to make the move successful.

Ali x

Dear Cobbler,

Just been reading this thread, and noticed you mention Wembley, is this the contact I gave you or are all shoemakers in Wembley?

Gollywobbler, great post as always. My other half is a medical grade shoemaker, from what I understood he would have to do a TRA but from reading your post not the case. No qualifcations in the UK, although they do have a college course in OZ which people can do when they get there.

We are looking in to a sponsor given we lost our MODL points, but from reading this they would have been no good anyway?

Tina X

I think you confusing ridicule with sense!

Good point. We see plenty of posts on this site where people have come over, found it hard to settle and gone back with not a good thing to say about the experience.

It would be tough making ends meet plus the stress of knowing that if the job disappeared you only have a short time to find another. I have a friend who came over on a 457 visa and found he was working with a load of Phillipino and Chinese guys who were prepared (and expected) to work 12 hours a day for the minimum wage. Luckily my friend was a lot more skilled than them and the boss appreciated him a lot more. He has now gotten permanent residency and asked for a rise. The boss offered him $1 extra per hour so he quit and starts on a minesite up North today on $60 an hour.

Good luck.

I'm not "stunned" at all, it's called a life style choice, on minimum wage in the uk you most certainly can't live the way I do know. Life isn't always about how much you earn and having a huge bank account.

Mullaloo is a great suburb. Are you renting or did you manage to get a mortgage? The lifestyle, as you say is the thing. You can have a great time without spending much at all.

If the weather is good and the beach is down the road kids can occupy themselves. Make sure they are pretty comfortable in water though.

Guest VickyMel

Just seen this thread again.

I saw something re wages in WA in the news yesterday and then forgot where this thread was !

Its in a statement from the Ministry

Employers must put locals first

"Figures released last month show that almost 90 per cent of temporary skilled migrants who were granted subclass 457 visas in the first seven months of 2009–10 to are managers and professional workers.

The figures also show that the average total salary package for all new temporary skilled migrant workers is almost $100 000 – an increase of $10 000 on the same time last year.

In Western Australia, the average total salary package for all new subclass 457 visa workers is $114 800 and $165 500 in the WA mining industry. There has also been a dramatic reduction in the number of visas granted.

Primary visa grants in January 2010 were 45 per cent lower than January 2009 and 6 per cent lower than December 2009. And at the end of January 2010 there were 71 290 subclass 457 primary visa holders in Australia. This was 13 per cent lower than the end of January 2009"

VickyMel

Guest simondbsmith

Hi, I'm not involved in the mining industry but my wife and I have both been offered sponsored jobs in Perth with a joint annual income of about $100,000 I also get a company car, medi and our rental bond is paid for us.

We've seen Perth is expensive but with what we have been offered how will we get on and do you think our standard of living will be ok? Thanks

Hi, I'm not involved in the mining industry but my wife and I have both been offered sponsored jobs in Perth with a joint annual income of about $100,000 I also get a company car, medi and our rental bond is paid for us.

We've seen Perth is expensive but with what we have been offered how will we get on and do you think our standard of living will be ok? Thanks

It depends on how much you are going to bring over with you too. If you can bring enough to get a mortgage on a nice house in a good area your experience will be much better.

Your joint income of $100,000 sounds pretty good to me. I know a lot of people on a lot less than that who get by just fine. The car is a nice bonus too. All up it sounds like a great opportunity. Perth and surrounding suburbs are great. We've been here since 92, our youngest was 2 when we came and we have another son, now 15, who was born here.

Great place for family life.

Good luck,

Paul.

What do you do and how did you get sponsorship for you both?

Archived