Yet another question regarding hairdressing

miguelrg

Hey everyone,

So end of sept 2009 I seen all the delays in the visa process, so basically i'm a men's hairdressing and hold the qualification in barbering but have 6 years salon experience, so after i learnt of the delays i started learning ladies hair to be able to pass the trade assessment and apply to the TRA, now only to find out hairdressing might be thrown off? is this likely or is it a possibility it'll just get points lowered?

Also my step brother is married to an australian girl, can he or them i should say sponsor me? if so what does this do for my application just raise the points?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

So end of sept 2009 I seen all the delays in the visa process, so basically i'm a men's hairdressing and hold the qualification in barbering but have 6 years salon experience, so after i learnt of the delays i started learning ladies hair to be able to pass the trade assessment and apply to the TRA, now only to find out hairdressing might be thrown off? is this likely or is it a possibility it'll just get points lowered?

Also my step brother is married to an australian girl, can he or them i should say sponsor me? if so what does this do for my application just raise the points?

Thanks

The Skilled Migration program is undergoing some significant changes. Already, the MODL has been killed, which I believe hairdresser were a part of. This will mean you can no longer claim the extra 15 points for that. You might want to go to the DIAC website and run the points test again to see where you stand. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you view the current immgration situation, hairdressers have been taking a lot of heat lately. Seems like Minister Evans may have a bit of a vendetta.

In the middle of the year a new SOL will be released, which is expected to contain only 20 or so highly skilled profession. Frankly if hairdressers are included on that list, it will be a huge embarrassment for DIAC, since they have consistently use hairdressers as an example of what is wrong with the current program.

That said. You still could have options. First of all, depending on the points you will be eligible for in the points test, you may still be able to apply for state sponsorship if you can find a state who is still willing to accept hairdressers. You can check what professions each state sponsor on their websites.

Alternatively, you can try and find an employer to sponsor you. I hear this can be a long shot, but some people have reported success. It might take sending out lots of emails and making lots of phone calls to salons in AU. Remember, with the current changes, there will be a LOT of other hairdressers resorting to the same tactic too.

I'm not too sure on what family sponsor options you would have available. Is your step brother living in AU, and an AU citizen now too? I really don't know this area too well, so maybe one of the migration agents on the forum can enlighten you a little more.

Archived