our container- from home to home ! our timeline

Guest Prickles83

Guest Prickles83

The removal company delivers our container tomorrow so i thought i would let you know how long it has taken:

booked in November 2009

removal company came in & packed our whole house on 4th December

The ship arrived into Melbourne 7th February

Customs and Quarantene 19th February

Removal company delivers 23rd February 2010

We had a 20ft container for our 3 bedroom semi detached house- we have packed everything apart from a 3 piece suite and we also didn't bring any wardrobes.

We were called today to advise us that everything had passed apart from 3 xmas decoration dolls that had sand in their bottoms and feet- we were quoted $353 for them to be gamma radiated (or whatever it's called) or we could have them destroyed (no charge) - guess what we chose!

THanks for posting that, it's good to know how long container removals take.

If you don't mind, could I ask how much the 20 foot container cost and who you shipped with? (PM me if you'd rather not post on the forum.) I hope the delivery and unpacking goes smoothly, looking forward to reading your next packing update!

We've just got our visa and are also heading out Melbourne way, so it's helpful to read other people's reports. At the mo, I'm trying to decide what to take and what not to. We've got 2 big wardrobes in our bedroom, and I don't know whether we should bring them or not, as everywhere seems to have fitted/walk-in robes. What do you think?

Thanks, Sam

Guest guest33730

I have had four quotes for a container for our move in June (pickfords, PSS, Doree Bonnar, Crown) and prices ranged from £3500 to just over £4000. I got a call from Crown on Friday which was an offer I couldn't refuse as long as my stuff was loaded by the end of May. IMHO Crowns service looks better than all the rest especially as they are the only company who don't subcontract some of the work etc but initially their price was way more than the rest (although it does include quarantine inspection). However after Friday's call they were one of the cheapest and therefore that's my decision made now!!

Daniel

Guest Prickles83

i also went with crown and had a sole use 20ft container- we didn't fill the container but we didn't want to share- i wouldn't take wardrobes as everyroom seems to have built in wardrobes

Guest Prickles83

The removal men arrived this morning and promplty put all our furniutre in the specified rooms- they unpacked as requested only the furniture.

We have unpacked almost all of our boxes- we have unfortunately had some damages and some mildew/mould (the later has since cleaned off and left no marks)- which we will have to claim for but generally the service was acceptable although not the fantastic service we received in the UK.

We are so pleased to see our belongings again although our excitment was a little tarnished by the damage.

Guest P00hBear

How exciting Daniel..... me and my family are hoping to emmigrate to adelaide later this year and will also be living around the Gawler area! Your post about costs has enlightened me, i hadn't looked into removals yet but am shocked at how expensive it is! I can't imagine all our belongings fitting into one of those containers but i guess the guys know what they are doing and can get alot in! But then I am shocked at how expensive each stage is!! Good luck with finding accomodation in Oz.

Archived