Reluctant 11 year old !! - brisbane

Guest Iain H

Hello Community,

We are a family of five ( 3 kids – two daughters, 11 & 9 & son of 6 ). We are going to be back in Brisbane over Easter for a couple of weeks for our second visit to nail down our preferred areas to potentially relocate to early next year. Our problem is that our 11 year old daughter is having a bit of a tough time in coming to terms with our impending emigration. She gets upset even if we talk about it in front of her. Our younger two are fine about it. With the above said, I was wondering if there are any like-minded Brit families in the Brisbane area that have made the move with a reluctant child of that sort of age who may want to meet up whilst we are there to share their experiences. Our eldest daughter enjoys sports ( netball in particular ), our younger daughter is a dancer and our little man is football crazy. It would be especially great to hear from you if your child settled after a sticky start and began to enjoy life over there. This ‘meet-up’ idea seemed a beneficial thing to do on the recently screened “Wanted Down Under” series so if there is any similarly aged families out there who wants to meet up for a chat and a beer somewhere, it would be great to hear from you. Also welcomed would be written input via the forum from those who can offer their opinion.

Thanks All

Iain H and family XXXX :confused:

Hello Community,

We are a family of five ( 3 kids – two daughters, 11 & 9 & son of 6 ). We are going to be back in Brisbane over Easter for a couple of weeks for our second visit to nail down our preferred areas to potentially relocate to early next year. Our problem is that our 11 year old daughter is having a bit of a tough time in coming to terms with our impending emigration. She gets upset even if we talk about it in front of her. Our younger two are fine about it. With the above said, I was wondering if there are any like-minded Brit families in the Brisbane area that have made the move with a reluctant child of that sort of age who may want to meet up whilst we are there to share their experiences. Our eldest daughter enjoys sports ( netball in particular ), our younger daughter is a dancer and our little man is football crazy. It would be especially great to hear from you if your child settled after a sticky start and began to enjoy life over there. This ‘meet-up’ idea seemed a beneficial thing to do on the recently screened “Wanted Down Under” series so if there is any similarly aged families out there who wants to meet up for a chat and a beer somewhere, it would be great to hear from you. Also welcomed would be written input via the forum from those who can offer their opinion.

Thanks All

Iain H and family XXXX :confused:

Netball is a major sport in Australia. She might like this high school when she's old enough: http://cavroadshs.eq.edu.au/wcmss/index.php/sporting/netball-excellence.html

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Thanks Fish.01 - The school looks pretty interesting and is close to one of our preferred areas Carindale. - Cheers Iain

Hi Iain,

both my 15 and 11 year old boy and girl don't want to emigrate and they are really unhappy about the thought about it. But they are kids, they know nothing of the true realities of life and the pressures of being an adult and parent, working and providing for a family. I want my kids to be happy about going to Australia, BUT and here it is in a nutshell, if they aren't happy hopefully they eventually will be and thats the best you can hope for. My kids spend most of the time in the house because of the horrible weather and we are terrified that if they go out that they will be attacked by gangs and we don't live in that bad an area, its just like it almost everywhere. You know also that the current financial situation in the uk is such, that what future are your kids going to have here and deep down their life will be better in Australia. The only down side is leaving family and fiends and i have no answer to that, because we are struggling over this, so best of luck with what you do.

jim

Hi Iain,

both my 15 and 11 year old boy and girl don't want to emigrate and they are really unhappy about the thought about it. But they are kids, they know nothing of the true realities of life and the pressures of being an adult and parent, working and providing for a family. I want my kids to be happy about going to Australia, BUT and here it is in a nutshell, if they aren't happy hopefully they eventually will be and thats the best you can hope for. My kids spend most of the time in the house because of the horrible weather and we are terrified that if they go out that they will be attacked by gangs and we don't live in that bad an area, its just like it almost everywhere. You know also that the current financial situation in the uk is such, that what future are your kids going to have here and deep down their life will be better in Australia. The only down side is leaving family and fiends and i have no answer to that, because we are struggling over this, so best of luck with what you do.

jim

Hey Jim - Thanks for the unput. You are right ; we have exactly the same thoughts and fears as you have outlined in your note. We are 99% sure we are doing the right thing and I am sure our 11 year old will settle but it would be nice for her ( and your kids ) if they went with a positive outlook. Luckily we dont have any issues about close family so we think that our what is probably one of the biggest stumbling blocks doesnt affect us too much really - Thanks Again !!

Iain

Hi Iain

I replied on your other posting. Wan't sure where you were headed then, but it looks like you might be in Carindale. If you are near there, please give me a shout and we can meet up. I have girls of 13, 11 and 7 - eldest is into diving (springboard and platform), 11 year old is into netball, and the 7 year old does dancing.

Love

Rudi

x

She will be fine get her into school as quick as you can that way she will soon make new friends.my daughter is 14 she still misses her best friend in the uk although she is very happy here.There are lots of good dance schools here but they are not cheap.Your move is still a long time away which is a long time in a childs life.My son didn't want to come he was 17 he was ok about it after we had our medicals done but its not been easy for him.when you waiting to move life is on hold and its the same for your children.

good luck

sarah

Hey Rudi ! -

Yes of course I remember....You opened up the door to Indooroopilly for me LOL !!! - We have rented a house in Michelton. Not necessarily where we want to be but we just needed a base to explore from really. Since our last post we have looked at Carindale and the immediate area in quite a bit of detail and this looks good. We are still looking at other areas too but to be honest, there are many that look like they would fit the bill. Are you at Thornlands Rudi ??..I seem to remember you being there !!. If there is a park or park with a pub / cafe near to you, we would be happy to come and spend an hour or so with you and the girsl and have a chat. So if you can suggest anywhere then we could keep in touch and see if we can hook up when we are over there.

Thanks Rudi - Iain X

She will be fine get her into school as quick as you can that way she will soon make new friends.my daughter is 14 she still misses her best friend in the uk although she is very happy here.There are lots of good dance schools here but they are not cheap.Your move is still a long time away which is a long time in a childs life.My son didn't want to come he was 17 he was ok about it after we had our medicals done but its not been easy for him.when you waiting to move life is on hold and its the same for your children.

good luck

sarah

Thanks to you too Sarah - Your input is much appreciated !!

Hey Rudi ! -

Yes of course I remember....You opened up the door to Indooroopilly for me LOL !!! - We have rented a house in Michelton. Not necessarily where we want to be but we just needed a base to explore from really. Since our last post we have looked at Carindale and the immediate area in quite a bit of detail and this looks good. We are still looking at other areas too but to be honest, there are many that look like they would fit the bill. Are you at Thornlands Rudi ??..I seem to remember you being there !!. If there is a park or park with a pub / cafe near to you, we would be happy to come and spend an hour or so with you and the girsl and have a chat. So if you can suggest anywhere then we could keep in touch and see if we can hook up when we are over there.

Thanks Rudi - Iain X

Yes, we are in Thornlands. We love it here. It's a bit of an in between place though - no real shops to call our own - but only 5 mins from Victoria Point in one direction and about 8 to Cleveland in the other - not forgetting Capalaba too! Thornlands is just houses really - some older ones, some new estates and some pretty rural properties. We live in the rural bit!

Wellington Point is a great place to meet. Cafe for a cuppa, playground and a small beach.....weather permitting. It's a bit of a trek from where you are staying though, so if you want to meet somewhere closer to you that's fine.......or maybe you could use it as a day to research the Bayside area :biggrin:

Anyway, I'll PM you my contact details, so you can give me a shout when you are here. We will be around all over the Easter period.

Love

Rudi

x

Archived