I need some friends! Sydney

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everyone,

Just moved to Sydney and altho am loving it I am finding it a bit lonely as not really made many friends yet. I'm 25 and moved here with my boyfriend, 28, in January. If you're in Sydney would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Millie x

Hi Millie,

Myself (Nick) and girlfriend (Joanne) are moving out in April (8 weeks and counting). We'd be up for meeting for drinks etc.

We are 28 and 27 and hopefully will be living in the Lower North Shores area as Joanne has a job at the Mater hospital.

Where are you guys living? Have you found jobs?

Nicholas

awesome Nick, would be great to meet you guys! How are you feeling- excited i bet!!! We are living in Manly, right on the beach, woop! And yeah, we moved over for my boyfriend's job (IT) and I have foiund work out here, in recruitment. How about you- how long are you moving out here for?

Amelia

awesome Nick, would be great to meet you guys! How are you feeling- excited i bet!!! We are living in Manly, right on the beach, woop! And yeah, we moved over for my boyfriend's job (IT) and I have foiund work out here, in recruitment. How about you- how long are you moving out here for?

Amelia

Manly, thats pretty sweet! A mixture of emotions at the moment. Really excited because its a new experience, but slightly worried as i have to leave things in other peo0ples hands in the UK. We are coming out on a 175PR visa, so assuming we like it, we are planning on staying for good.

Recruitment aye! I'm unsure what i will be doing when i get out there. Possibly look for some form of work, if only to make friends etc. How long are you guys out there for? Where abouts are you from in the UK?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hulagirl

Hello there!

I have been in Sydney (Balmain) for 4 years now (eek), originally a scouser...happy to meet up for chat, coffee and/or beer :o) I am 33 and my aussie hubbie is 30. I remember how hard it was to move here, so hang in there, 'twill get easier!!

Cheers,

Jude

Hello there!

I have been in Sydney (Balmain) for 4 years now (eek), originally a scouser...happy to meet up for chat, coffee and/or beer :o) I am 33 and my aussie hubbie is 30. I remember how hard it was to move here, so hang in there, 'twill get easier!!

Cheers,

Jude

Where about's in Liverpool are you originally from? We';; be flying out 5 weeks today.

aye karumba

Guest hulagirl
Where about's in Liverpool are you originally from? We';; be flying out 5 weeks today.

aye karumba

Hey, you must be getting excited!

Originally from Mossley Hill/ Booker Ave part of the town...also lived on the Wirral (New Brighton) for a time but it's been a while...have been a bit of a wanderer!!

Whats your OH doing at the Mater? I used to work in Radiotherapy & Ultrasound at Royal North Shore.....

Guest lib1001

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have just been granted our visas and are moving out to Sydney at the end of April. We are 25/26 and would like to meet up for some drinks when we get there.

If anyone has any tips of where is a nice area to live in too, we'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Lib

Hey, you must be getting excited!

Originally from Mossley Hill/ Booker Ave part of the town...also lived on the Wirral (New Brighton) for a time but it's been a while...have been a bit of a wanderer!!

Whats your OH doing at the Mater? I used to work in Radiotherapy & Ultrasound at Royal North Shore.....

I know the area well. We live on Setfon Park, opposite the boating lake. OH is a Radiographer. She starts there on 10 May i think. Gives us enough time to sort out perm accommodation.

How you finding things over there? Where abouts you living in Sydney?

Nick

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have just been granted our visas and are moving out to Sydney at the end of April. We are 25/26 and would like to meet up for some drinks when we get there.

If anyone has any tips of where is a nice area to live in too, we'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Lib

Hi, we arrive in Sydney on 18th April, just before you. Will give you a shout once we find a decent location to live. We'd both be up for meeting for drinks. We are 27/28.

What line of work are you in? Have you secured a job?

Nicholas

Guest lib1001
Hi, we arrive in Sydney on 18th April, just before you. Will give you a shout once we find a decent location to live. We'd both be up for meeting for drinks. We are 27/28.

What line of work are you in? Have you secured a job?

Nicholas

Hi,

We're coming out on the 457 visa, valid for 4 years, I've got a job lined up for 2 and a half years, transferring with my company. Tom doesn't have a job yet - think he will start looking properly when we get out there.

We are arriving on 3rd May, and I start work on 10th so not long to settle in before I start working.

Any idea of where you want to live yet?

Lib

Guest hulagirl

How you finding things over there? Where abouts you living in Sydney?

Pretty good overall thanks, with hubby being a local it make certain things like looking for a place to live alot easier!

Being away from loved ones is hard of course....and I wouldn't say making new friends in Sydney is a total breeze, a number of aussies have said to me they find some (not all of course!!) a bit insular, but don't let that put you off. It's like moving anywhere new I guess you just have to get out there & meet people.

Sydney is not a cheap place to live but as a couple with both working you can have a good quality of life here, and its much easier to be active and do more outdoor stuff, which suits us. We live in Balmain which is lovely- it's great as you can live your life and not be dependent on a car - not the case for many places in Sydney -shops,pubs etc are walking distance and it's easy to get into the city which makes commuting relatively easy. We are on the ferry routes- I love getting the ferry to work on the North Shore!!

If you're looking for rental accommodation try and bring references with you and proof of your income, this will help with your applications, the rental market is crazy, especially in popular areas and you need this information handy.

Hope this helps!!!

Guest KikiK

Hi All, Been living on Northern Beaches (Freshwater) which is a great spot, easy express buses to city and access to ferry as well and a great beac, pub and small village feel with friendly locals and a 15min walk to Manly.

I have been here just over 2 years, am 32 and am here on a 457, was made redundant last year but stuck it out for 8 months and managed to find another sponsor and job, takes some perseverance and it can be tough at times being so far away from home and the familiarity of everything but the lifestyle makes the hard times worthwhile, always looking to meet new people, esp female friends for a few drinks in Manly.

Guest emmabrit
Hey everyone,

Just moved to Sydney and altho am loving it I am finding it a bit lonely as not really made many friends yet. I'm 25 and moved here with my boyfriend, 28, in January. If you're in Sydney would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Millie x

Hi, i'm Emma, 31. Moved here in December 07 with my Aussie boyfriend, we live in Miranda.

Would also love to meet up with some fellow Brits here. I think I literally only know 1 other Brit here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KerrieC

Hey Everyone,

I am originally from London and the other half is from Sheffield, I am 28 and Daniel is 32. I live in Milsons Point with my hubby, been in Sydney for about year and half but we did live here a couple of years before that when we were on a working holiday - been on and off travelling for the last 4 years.

Anyway just looking to meet more people to hang out with and have a drink. All our friends here are Ozzie's which is good but it would be nice to have some mates who are in a similar situation to us. Just looking to meet some new people, as a lot our other friends have now gone home or off travelling again and don't always get the chance to meet new people.

So would love to meet up with anyone who would be interested......first time I have ever been on anything like this but thought I would give it a go, as the theory of waiting of flocks of people who are like me and want to be friend seems to only work once and while! ;)

Hula Girl, sorry I didn't reply to your message that you sent me ages ago unfortunately had a family member ill back in the UK and then had to go home for a visit so kinda totally forgot about replying to anyone.

Anyway, just wanted to say if anyone fancied meeting up I would be more than happy to.

:rolleyes:

Guest PaulaMac

Hi Millie,

Where abouts in Sydney are you. Im Paula originally from London. Been here a year now, living with my boyfriend in Carlingford, we are both 23. I am in the same position as you and Im finding it really hard at the moment. I miss my friends back home and could really do with meeting some more people. I found this site and thought it was great.

Nice to meet you :)

hey Paula! I am living in Manly with my boyfriend, whereabouts are you? have tried to organise a meet up or two but its always hard trying to co-ordinate with when everyone's free etc!

Would be great to meet you- are you free this Friday? Few of us thinking of meeting for the first time at 4Pines in Manly, would be awesome if you could make it too? xx

Guest PaulaMac

Im not free this friday but usually I am always free. We live near Parramatta but we drive so its easy for us to get down that way. We would both definitely be up for meeting. Are you guys both working. My partner is still studying but works part time. I was working but we going through defacto at the mo so am not currently able to which means LOTS of free time- esp in the week. Maybe we can arrange something for the following week?

Archived