ozwonderful

Unfair for ACOCOUNTANT who obtained <120 points without SS!!!

Hi,

I am new to this site and wish to share my thoughts for those who are in the same boat with me.

I appied for GSM 175 Accountant on August 2008. I obtained 130points and agent advised that I DO NOT require a State Sponsor as SS are for those who do not achieve the passing mark at 120points. Further to this, you require to live and work in the specific State if you apply for a State Sponsor. So ok, sounds better for Independant Visa compare to SS.

After the 23 Sept struck, the SS now has more priority than those without. Then, I started to look for SS few months later, hopefully to get a higher priority. To my surprise, all states requires minimum IELTS 7 effective July 2009, previously was 6. I did not achieve 7 for my IELTS.

I wish I do not obtain 130points and get a SS at that time. My friend who applied few months later than me, as an Accountant too, with his 100 points and IELTS below 7, got a SS, and now has a CO allocate. SO whats the point of achieving 130points when you do not get priority processing compare to those with 100points ???

If DIAC and States wishes to change their requirement, I wish they will look into every details before making any changes. Its so unfair for Accountants like me. And does IELTS really gives you the overall judgment? I had put so much effort on my career and obtaining 130 points doesn't come easily!! Don't tell me that SS has more priority compare to those CAT 6, look at the applicant's details and their qualification!! Now, my friend is teasing me on this matter :cry:

So unfair for ACCOUNTANTS without SS :mad:

why didnt u appear for IELTS and scored 7 and got on to the CSL? As only Accountants with 7 bands in IELTS across the board are taken into CSL. Had u done that u wud have been actually preparing to sit in the plane to get to Oz and ur friend wud have looked at u and said ok im coming behind you in few months.

ICAA Skills assessment as Accountant: 11/09, Applied 175 CSL Jan '10, IELTS: 8.5 overall, CO: 03/10, Medicals Fin. 04/10, Internal checks: Completed, Stuck with external checks. :mad: Meds Again: 7/11, Grant: 5/9/11!!! :D

Guest monster

Hi ozwonderful,

I think, the best bet is to sit for IELTS exam and try to get 7 on each band before DIAC scrap CSL. It will put you into category 4 if I'm not mistaken which is a bit higher than your friend...Do it the soonest possible time.

Guest backspace

Based on the current industry requirement, I would have to say yes especially when I am working for a firm.... I have to say that communication skills are essential especially for senior accountant positions.. most of your time would be devoted to liaising with clients ato suppliers etc etc.... I've got a friend who was completing his honours and was given the opportunity to meet up with some Audit General... He received quite a huge amount of complains from accounting firms that graduates from universities in Australia does not have the necessary communication skills to succeed in this industry... which I have to agree considering the fact that most accounting graduates are overseas student... It is quite common for migrants to graduate from universities which we have hardly heard from overseas and enrolling in the Master of Accounting program which has a significantly lower entry requirement.... They will eventually graduate with the help of hand held dictionaries, however, it's a totally different ball game when you need to communicate and liaise with various clients... Your best bet is to retake the IELTS test which would certainly speed things up... No disrespect to anyone here, this new ruling is to distinguish the best from the rest.

Contrary to your thread title, I don't think there is a sepcific accountant issue here. Everyone who was non CSL was affected by the 23rd September changes. Before Sept 23rd perhaps you could have applied for SS and got faster processing, now it won't help you very much.

Still you at least have an option that many in other occupations do not. Practise your English, take IELTS and if you get 7 then you can request CSL processing so long as it still exists.

It seems that you were badly advised. If your agent is a registered migration agent, discuss your current options, if your agent is not registered fconsult one who is, sooner rather than later.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Guest spurious

Your agent was right, you don't strictly need more than 120 points to qualify for a skilled visa subclass 175 application. The issue you have is with processing times, not eligibility. If you want a quicker processing time, practice your English and get a sufficient score at the IELTS test. That will get you on the CSL, at least until mid 2010.

It's not 'unfair', it's the rules. If you want the right to live in another country, you need to abide by them.

It seems that you were badly advised. If your agent is a registered migration agent, discuss your current options, if your agent is not registered fconsult one who is, sooner rather than later.

I don't think it was bad advice. The OP applied in August 2008, there was not even such a thing as a CSL list back then. I think the advice was relevant to the situation at the time. Many people would prefer the flexibility of a 175 and from opening post, it sounds like OP did too.

I think the current options for the OP are all based around retaking IELTS.

My OH is a welder, and WITHOUT either SS or IELTS we had more than 120 points given his years of experience etc etc. So by YOUR reckoning he should have been processed by now also.... but it doesn't work like that does it!

He didn't need to sit the IELTS to gain extra points and he didn't NEED SS to get extra points either. But we took the decision to gain SS following the removal of his trade from the CSL just one month after we made our application. Does THIS seem fair to you? No me either. Please consider that there are thousands of us on here affected by the continual changes being made by DIAC.

I don't mean to sound unfair to your particular case.

But there are many of us in the same boat and it isn't just accountants. You sound like you believe accountants should have even more preference over any other trade by mere fact you keep writing it in CAPITAL LETTERS.

None of us have any control over DIAC's processing times (if only) and some people get case officers and subsequent visa's quicker than others.... que sera sera as the saying goes.

Rachel, Martin, Abigail (15) & Cassie (9) - Granted PR176 2/12/10 Welder 1st Class. Arrived Secret Harbour, WA 21/1/11. Became Citizens 26/1/16

My OH is a welder, and WITHOUT either SS or IELTS we had more than 120 points given his years of experience etc etc. So by YOUR reckoning he should have been processed by now also.... but it doesn't work like that does it!

He didn't need to sit the IELTS to gain extra points and he didn't NEED SS to get extra points either. But we took the decision to gain SS following the removal of his trade from the CSL just one month after we made our application. Does THIS seem fair to you? No me either. Please consider that there are thousands of us on here affected by the continual changes being made by DIAC.

I don't mean to sound unfair to your particular case.

But there are many of us in the same boat and it isn't just accountants. You sound like you believe accountants should have even more preference over any other trade by mere fact you keep writing it in CAPITAL LETTERS.

None of us have any control over DIAC's processing times (if only) and some people get case officers and subsequent visa's quicker than others.... que sera sera as the saying goes.

Oi you stop using my name in vain!:biglaugh: You are right though many of us are in this situation. We had to wait much longer than alot of people with far less points than my OH, its the way Diac are doing it, it is unfair but there is naff all we can do about it and there are many skilled people in the same boat!:shocked:

As other have said I'd have sat the IELTS post the september changes to put you higher up the priority if you want a visa sooner rather than later. I do think we have to just accept change happens, that doesn't mean we have to like it though....at least you are still eligable.

By the way your thread title says 'less than' 120 points - I think you meant 'more than'.

Sarah -176 SS (non-CSL) - Granted Dec '09, validated Apr '10 :v_SPIN:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Everyone

I think that it would be a good idea to calm down.

Registered Migration Agents can only advise about what the law says at the relevant time.

A dear friend of mine is a Painter & Decorator (trust me, Original Poster, this IS relevant.) Early in 2008, my friend Shaun was pratting about on PiO, wittering that TRA Pathway D had closed for P&Ds without formal qualifications. Pathway D had closed, early in September 2007.

Six months later, Shaun was wittering about getting a Student Visa for Oz and because he wanted to go to Perth, he was going to do Plastering, apparently.

In waded the ever-diplomatic Gollywobbler (ie no tact or diplomacy at all!) I said, "Why do you want to spend thousands of AUD learning about Plastering when for far fewer AUD you could get an AQF III in Painting & Decorating instead? What is the point of going to the village green via the moon?"

Shaun demurred until I said, "Right, child. You are 30. I am 50+. I know what I am talking about. You don't so shut up and LISTEN. Contact XYZ and get your AQF III in Painting & Decorating. Once you have done that, apply for a sc 175 visa because that is the right one for you."

To be fair to Shaun, I was so horrible to him that he would have had every right to tell me to sod off. However he got the message and he listened - which is BRILLIANT on his part. He contacted the XYZ guy and the AQF III was obtained. The XYZ guy put Shaun in touch with an RMA in the UK.

In August 2008, the RMA agreed that Shaun should apply for a sc 175 visa, so that was applied for very promptly.

Then in December 2008 the whole game changed. The Minister said that State sponsorship would be the right method for Shaun, even though Shaun had something like 130 Points towards a 175 visa. On his points, he didn't need State sponsorship.

The dope of an RMA told Shaun that there was "no need" for Shaun to do anything. I told Shaun, "The dope of an RMA is slow off the mark. This is going to get worse before it gets better. LISTEN to me. Apply for WA State sponsorship IMMEDIATELY because that is what every other twit with a brain will now do, so the sooner you apply to WA the better. IGNORE the dope of an RMA because SS is plainly the way that the Minister is going."

Luckily, Shaun listened to me that time as well so he applied to WA for SS pretty promptly.

The upshot was that Shaun's 176 visa was granted in July 2009. He flew to Australia on 1st August 2009 and he now has Permanent Residency in Australia. Out in Perth, he has work coming out of his ears.

Shaun escaped the whole 23rd September 2009 nightmare because he acted quickly. All that I did was to shove him in the right direction and to tell him to ignore the dopey RMA and to listen to me instead.

I feel extremely sorry for ozwonderful, the OP who started this thread. The game has changed 4 times since December 2008. If he had been correctly advised in the beginning, he would not be in the mess that he is in now.

Shaun would be in a similar mess apart from the fact that he came under my maternal wing very early on and then he listened to me about what to do as the game started changing.

A good RMA (and there were several) would have foreseen the whole way that the game was going and would have foreseen it very quickly. Alan Collett of Go Matilda is the one who sticks in my mind because he came on to Poms in Oz the same day - 17th Dec 2008 - and said, "Apply for State sponsorship immediately." Shaun is the living proof that Alan was right about what to do.

So I agree with Westly Russell. The OP was badly-advised. I disagree with spurious (who represents an RMA anyway, I believe, and if so ought to be banned fron PiO in my view.) Being half-asleep is not a professional excuse and there is no way round that, frankly.

Cheers

Gill

The dope of an RMA told Shaun that there was "no need" for Shaun to do anything. I told Shaun, "The dope of an RMA is slow off the mark. This is going to get worse before it gets better. LISTEN to me. Apply for WA State sponsorship IMMEDIATELY because that is what every other twit with a brain will now do, so the sooner you apply to WA the better. IGNORE the dope of an RMA because SS is plainly the way that the Minister is going."

l

Such irony!!!

That December 2008 I had a strong feeling somewhere deep inside my head - apply for SS!!!

But I too much relied on my agent's advice that time so it took me 3 month to said "ok, f..ck off this magic advice - do what you think is appropriate".

I wish I knew PIO back in Dec 2008...

Living in Perth since June 2010 :biggrin:

Dear all,

Thanks for all your advise. I don't mean to hurt those with SS, honestly. Just felt a bit annoying with all the rules changes.

I should thank god that I am still eligible :)

Hope Cat 6 will begin to move soon. Just sit back and wait patiently.

Cheers,

ozwonderful

Guest rupani

Hi,

I am also an accountant and submitted my application back in May 2008. I tried to get myself in CSL but could not make it, but I do not have any objection. Rule is rule, we have to accept these as it is if we really wanna play this game.

regards