How long to arrange rental accommodation???

clickettuk

Hi,

Was wondering whether anyone knows how long it takes to sort out rental accommodation if you're fresh from the UK? Want to minimize the amount of time in a hotel or renting a short term holiday let. We'll be able to pay 12 months deposit - does that help speed things up? Any hints or tips for getting a rental? All help greatly appreciated (escpecially in ACT)!

Thanks.

Michael.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Michael

I am not sure how the rental system works in ACT, Quoll may have known but she is in the UK at the minute. In Melbourne it is taking around 4 weeks, BUT this does depend on the suburb and your budget. Also Melbourne has this stupid system where properties are open for inspection and as this usually only happens once a week it can take some time.

The best thing to do is start looking on realestate now, see what properties are becoming available for when you arrive and see if you can get booked in to view some as soon as you arrive. Remember to check when the properties will be vacant from. I have recently seen properties advertised that aren't available until August so just take care.

Paying 12 months up front will definitely place you at an advantage. See if you can find someone to provide you with an Australian reference as well. When you go to view a rental, try and have the application form already completed, along with this put in a covering letter stating that you have recently moved to Australia, mention in this that you can pay 12 months up front. If you have a job to go to also put a copy of the contract of employment in along with a bank statement if you have one.

Good luck

Kate

• 3 months later...

I am also moving to Melbourne in late June 2010 and am planning to rent a 1 bedroom apartment. OMG, it takes 4 weeks for me to move into my rental apartment? I was thinking to move in by 1 week max. Please could you provide me with more info?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,

jp

Guest brooksey

It's much quicker than that on the Gold Coast. 1 week i would say. The trouble is finding the right house. If i were paying 12 months up front i would want a discount. Bring some rental refrences from the UK. If you havn't rented then get your friends to make some up. If you have a dog then tell them it's an outside dog.

Guest brooksey

Ps , make sure on your inspection you make them aware of every tiny defect in detail. After your time in the house has finished they will try to blame all and any damage on you. Even wright paint scuffs and weeds in the garden down.

Guest tramway

Took us just over 2 months around Sydney to find anywhere even worth filling an application that didn't cost a fortune plus they really do love photoshop to the extreme you wonder if you have arrived at the place advertised nearly always or else its a 5yr old photo.

Also Kim & Aggie would have a field day here.

Renter be very aware:wideeyed:

It really does depend on area. In some places you can secure a rental within a few days. However, in other places it can be a couple of months.

Around where I live in Brisbane, I reckon the average is about 3-4 weeks.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest The Pom Queen
I am also moving to Melbourne in late June 2010 and am planning to rent a 1 bedroom apartment. OMG, it takes 4 weeks for me to move into my rental apartment? I was thinking to move in by 1 week max. Please could you provide me with more info?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,

jp

Hi JP

Unfortunately in Melbourne they have something called an OFI (Open for Inspection) so they may not have the property that you are interested in OFI for 2 weeks. Or you may have just missed an OFI and usually by then the house has gone after the first OFI. We have ahd a few nurses who have come over recently who could not understand how the market works and despite me advising them to book at least 3 weeks in furnished accommodation, they opted for 2 weeks and ended up extending this as they just couldn't find anything in that time frame. For example most OFI are on a Saturday, so say you arrive on a Sunday you will have missed that weekends OFI and have to wait a full week for the OFI the following Saturday.

Then when you view the houses on Saturday you will probably have another 10 people viewing that same property with you, so then the agent can choose who to give it to and if you are lucky yes you will have your rental in a week if you aren't the lucky one the cycle begins again.

It is a nightmare system but because the rental market is tight agents don't have to go out of their way to help.

Guest ragdoll annie

Its taken us about 2 weeks max wherever we've been and i'm very fussy and very hard to please lol...but i'd always allow about 3 weeks to be on the safe side...some agents are quicker than others.

Annie x

We always find that it depends on the area you want , an average to find,view and secure a rental house is about 3 or 4 weeks. This allows for you to have a quick drive around to make sure you find an area you like then to find, view, apply and secure the house.

Personally i would only sign for 6 months as in this time you should have a good idea if the area is really for you and also if you have secured appropriate work nearby, the kids have settled etc etc. You can always extend/ renew your lease for another 6 months when it is due to expire if you are happy with your choice.

Doing this would be much easier than trying to break a 12month lease if you have issues with the area/house/work situation.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally i would only sign for 6 months as in this time you should have a good idea if the area is really for you and also if you have secured appropriate work nearby, the kids have settled etc etc. You can always extend/ renew your lease for another 6 months when it is due to expire if you are happy with your choice.

Doing this would be much easier than trying to break a 12month lease if you have issues with the area/house/work situation.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Hi hun

I wish this was the case for Melbourne, 98% of the leases are unfurnished and 12 months only. Why can't we take on the same attitude as Queensland:swoon:

Yes most houses here in Brisbane/Gold Coast are unfurnished other than some having a dishwasher, thankfully though a 6 month lease is still more common than a 12mth. We only stayed in our rental 5 months before buying and moving in here so i am glad we didn't have to sign for 12,lol.

Cal x

The more I read of Melbourne, the more it seems like the odd one out.

Not the ACT, but here in Toowoomba our first rental (a furnished place aimed more at students than a family) was fixed in a day. We were given the keys as we left the estate agent but asked to leave it a day before we moved in so they could send cleaners through.

Our second, more permanent, place took about two weeks but most of this was because the landlord wanted to repaint before we moved in--we knew we had it and signed the papers in 3-4 days.

Bob

Guest cloudy

Most ACT real estate agents have a specific day / time they open up the properties and won;t budge especially if theow the property will fly off their books. If they haven't had enough interest in a property then they will be open to arrange a time that is suitable for both you and them.

We currently live in Campbell in Canberra and have done for the past 3 years, this is a lovely suburb, very close to civic, 15 minute bike ride if that and if we were staying here I would love to buy in this suburb too. Canberra is a fantastic place, especially if you have kids, either way there is plenty to do!

Cloudy:biggrin:

Guest wiggythecat

Hi, we went around all the estate agents in Bathurst in November when we were last over and were told that if we saw a place we liked on line and could get someone in Bathurst to sign the lease on our behalf a week or so before we moved out there, then it would be waiting for us.

However, I am still waiting for visa, so wether this actually happens or not is yet to be seen.

Guest cloudy

Good plan.

In Canberra generally you have to inspect the rental yourself and at the end if you are interested in it put your name down and pick up an application form. It's best if your here because many properties are snapped up quickly especially during the summer months, particularly in December and January when lots of defence people move in and around. During this time and it can be a bit of a bun fight. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Broonie

Hi

We moved from the UK on the 1st of June had 3 nights accommodation at a hotel in the city centre, had to extend it for a night but got a rental to move into on the Sat.

We went to see two flats both on the thursday and then put in for one and got the offer the next day and keys. We were lucky in that only 1 other person turned up to the open days we went to and they couldn't move in straight away.

I would however offer more rent to guarantee it, we offered to pay a month in advance instead of two weeks as unemployed and new to perth.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 101126
Hi,

Was wondering whether anyone knows how long it takes to sort out rental accommodation if you're fresh from the UK? Want to minimize the amount of time in a hotel or renting a short term holiday let. We'll be able to pay 12 months deposit - does that help speed things up? Any hints or tips for getting a rental? All help greatly appreciated (escpecially in ACT)!

Thanks.

Michael.

Hi Michael

We emigrated to Canberra at the very end of October last year and took possession of our 4 bedroom home on 1st December, it could have been slightly earlier but only by a week or so. We have a dog that complicated the issue somewhat and reduced our choice but did not make it impossible. Getting to December and January time also reduces choice as the previous poster stated due to the government taking a lot of the vacant property.

Having a big deposit will help, we offered 3-months which was acceptable, but references are equally important, being new to the country and having been mortgaged in the UK we did not have references as a previous tenant and had no one in Australia as references either. We did however come armed with Mortgage statements from the last three years, which we gave, also provided details of savings etc, anything that builds credibility in you being able to pay and look after the place.

www.allhomes.com.au is the best place to look for properties in Canberra as pretty much all properties are advertised there. We spent two weeks on arrival looking around Canberra as we had not been before and given its size that is enough to get a feel fr the place. We settled on Southside, as it has beautiful views of the Brindabellas but would; having spent time here; look at northside to, as there are very few places we would not choose to live. Where you live will depend on your personal taste and budget.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Guest geotrog

Is there similarly a significant shortfall of rentable property in Sydney?

I expect to be looking for a two-bedroom apartment (maybe a 1-bed with a sofa bed???) unfurnished, cycling distance to CBD. I like the sound of the area just to the north of the bridge - do such apartments exist in that area? Manley would be nice too! Alternatively inner west, south or east (eg Glebe,Surry Hills, Centennial Park area).

Can anyone adivse on likely rental costs in these areas? Not after anything too fancy to keep the costs down! I suppose a balcony or the like would be nice.

Hope you can help,

Mark

Archived