417 visa... looking to say in Australia longer

Guest Boofhead

Guest Boofhead

Hey there, I'm writing this on behalf of my girlfriend who is a pom on a 417WHV. The original intentions were for her to go home but she is having too much of a good time and wants to stay on!

So... we are seeking help on what options we have to extend her stay in Australia. It's 2 months today until her visa expires. We are aware that to be eligible for the second WHV you need to do 3 months of regional work. We are willing to do this - will immigration grant us a briding visa to allow her to work the extra month?

If they can't, what other options do we have?

I know that we have left this really late but any help or advice will be much appreciated. Cheers.

P.S. she wishes to continue to work in Australia while she remains in the country.

P.P.S she is a qualified make up artist.

I am afraid I do not think she has a lot of options if she does not qualify for a partner visa. To qualify for a partner visa she would generally need to have been in a defacto relationship (living with) an Australian PR or citizen for 12 months. Although I vaguely recall that recently a couple of states reduced the time requirement. What is your relationship status and where do you live?

No she will not be able to complete the 3 months regional work as she only has 2 months left and would not be able to get a bridging.

Make up artist is on the list of eligible occupations for 457 temporary employer sponsorship, is she working now? Could she approach her employer for sponsorship.

That is all I can think of I am afraid.

Guest Boofhead
I am afraid I do not think she has a lot of options if she does not qualify for a partner visa. To qualify for a partner visa she would generally need to have been in a defacto relationship (living with) an Australian PR or citizen for 12 months. Although I vaguely recall that recently a couple of states reduced the time requirement. What is your relationship status and where do you live?

No she will not be able to complete the 3 months regional work as she only has 2 months left and would not be able to get a bridging.

Make up artist is on the list of eligible occupations for 457 temporary employer sponsorship, is she working now? Could she approach her employer for sponsorship.

That is all I can think of I am afraid.

Thanks for your reply.

We have been together for 4 months. She does not live with me - however it can be arranged so that we are living under the same roof. We are located in QLD.

She currently is working for a Telemarketing company which have offered to sponser her for the 457 employer sponsorship. She is not sure if she wants to make a commitment to this employer as she dislikes the work. If the 457 does get granted are there any conditions (aka does she need to stay there for a time frame, if so what is it?)

We are pretty much willing to do anything to extend her stay out here, once again yourr input is great appreciated. :)

Thanks for your reply.

We have been together for 4 months. She does not live with me - however it can be arranged so that we are living under the same roof. We are located in QLD.

She currently is working for a Telemarketing company which have offered to sponser her for the 457 employer sponsorship. She is not sure if she wants to make a commitment to this employer as she dislikes the work. If the 457 does get granted are there any conditions (aka does she need to stay there for a time frame, if so what is it?)

We are pretty much willing to do anything to extend her stay out here, once again yourr input is great appreciated. :)

OK I have just tracked down the new rules that I mentioend earlier, but it is not going to apply to you I am afraid.

Australian Immigration - Legislation Change Update

I think the 457 is the best, perhaps the only option. This visa is linked to the employment, so if she leaves the job she will need to leave the country shortly thereafter.

Perhaps she needs to find a job she likes and then see if they will sponsor her. She needs the 457 sponsorship and to be in the job until such time as she qualifies for a partner visa. If for whatever reason you decide against living together, then after 2 years on the 457 she might be able to ask the employer to sponsor her for permanent residency but they would be under no obligation to do so.

Archived