Back from Oz

Guest Gags

Guest BOOBEAR

Hi everyone,

I was going to reply with my thoughts to this thread but have to say Greg Shelly says my sentiments exactly all but the chocolate box cottage in Devon .:cute:

It's a shame gags has returned to what I see as a very big chip on his shoulder and then put down the dreams of others, but from what I've read who cares I don't, life is what you make it and you only get one of those. :yes:

PS Excuse any spelling mistakes but I'm only working class and proud of it, and I don't have a degree.:biglaugh:

Caroline.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Morven33
Hi Gags,

I'm sorry that Australia didn't work out for you, but wonder why after 12 months of having such a wonderful like back in the UK you have felt the need to join a site that is primarily for people looking to migrate to Australia?

I respect all the opinions that you have formed for yourself about your life and experience in Oz - because they are yours, but really you should not judge other peoples reasons for migration as they too are personal to them.

Alot of people here are of a more mature age than yourself, and have families, they will not have taken their decisions lightly, selling family homes, leaving well paid jobs and support networks - travelling alone and without many responsibiliies is a wonderful thing - it becomes much more difficult when you have the welfare of your children and family to consider.

I'm sure you would have understood that peoples talk of BBQ's and swimming pools aren't

peoples main reasons for leaving the UK and that generally these are humours comments???

You're right about TV - it's rubbish, but I watched very little in UK and don't watch it much here either, but then I never expected Australia to be England with sunshine.

Great that you still manage to get outside - my little boy loves soccer - he managed to play only 3 times last year from October - December in the UK because the of the weather, he hasn't had one game called off here (even if it's raining), and it may not mean alot to many people but to my son it's meant the world. We can't judge how successful the move here is on the material things we gain. It's the little things like that which make it worthwhile.

I think it's great that you've posted and told us about your experience, I think it helps people to focus on what the move and Australia will really be like, but it doesn't mean it will be the same for all of us. Given your time over and being in a relationship you would probably still go - treat it as the life experience it was - you've done what alot of people would love to do - be greatful.

Ali

I agree totally with you Ali, I had been wondering why someone who thought so badly of Australia would specifically join this forum. I have a son that plays football and golf and as you say he's lucky to get a game of either between October and March so being able to play outside whether its Summer or Winter will be a huge bonus to my family life as it will keep us all happy.

We all have our own reasons for moving and if you want something badly enough and believe in yourself you can live your dream.

Guest Nicki Kefford

Feel the same as all you guys, but heh, anyone interested in opening a curry house, chinese takeaway or greek restaurant????? We live not far from Brum and can get some great tips from our brilliant cultural friends before we go!:wubclub:

Felt quite dissillusioned when |I read this thread, but as usual, POI members have reinstalled my faith again......thanks guys!!! and we are still planning on going...better to regret what you have done than what you haven't done...as you obviously have done too Gags

Nicki & co

Guest austibeach

It has been both annoying and amusing following some of the negative posts that have been offered of late on PIO. However, whether I agree or disagree with the content of such posts, is quite frankly irrelevant, but I do consider that the authors of those very posts, have shown an unbelievable arrogance in overstating their qualifications to make some of the comments that have been made. Who is qualified to say why I; or you; have decided to emigrate to Australia, certainly not anyone who would consider us to be "naive" enough to think it is a sun-drenched Utopia. We all have dreams, and trying to achieve those dreams is what drives us all through life; it's what makes us get up in the morning and go to work; to build a home or to start a family. If for some the dream has gone bad, for whatever reasons, does that then give them the right to pigeon-hole us as naive Daily Mail readers, viewing Australia through rose-tinted glasses; I think not.

Some of you have never been to Australia before embarking on what amounts to probably the biggest gamble you will ever take in your life; I take my hat off to you; I'm not sure I could have been that brave, but I'm sure the reasons for your decision are valid enough for you to take the chance. Personally I have been fortunate enough to have lived large parts of my life in Australia, so my decision to live there is much easier, but above all it is my dream, not yours, that matters when I'm making the move. I would never try to sway you towards a life there or to remain in the U.K., nor would I consider that you or anyone living in Australia was less cultured than I am; unfortunately some of the authors of these posts, consider themselves to be more cultured ( whatever that is supposed to mean anyway ) and also of a higher intellect than the rest of us. As my father used to say, " It's better to keep your mouth closed and look stupid, than open it and remove all doubt", perhaps I have just illustrated that, but if I have I am certainly not alone.

Eric.

Guest leanneandmark

or as my mum says a wise head is a shut mouth, god i heard that alot as i was growing up, but how true it is.

As my father used to say, " It's better to keep your mouth closed and look stupid, than open it and remove all doubt",

Eric.

What a brilliant saying - I think you're right it's an individual decision to come to Aus and each of those decisions will be based on different reasons.

I welcome people posting about their experiences good and bad, it does offer a bit of a reality check before the move and you can help it prepare you for if that eventuality occurs.

I once went on a councelling course and we were told that in the groups we should always speak for ourselves and say "I", and not to assume that everyone else shares the same opinion.

Ali

Guest fatpom
Some of the people on this website (and in general) strike me as incredibly naive with regards to Australia, making comments about the place either without ever being there or having just arrived and blinded by sunshine. They seem to think that moving to Oz will result in one big beach party, one never ending barbeque and talk about the place as if it was the garden of eden. Sorry, it isn’t.

Sorry to say it but Gags is right (up to point of course). My rose coloured specks faded after about 18 months in Aus... I was no different to many people on this site :)

It's not necessarily a bad place to be (the rose coloured place) but if you let it get out of control you will likely hit earth with a devastating bump. I can't help but suspect that these people make up the bulk of returnee's:idea:

The best advice anyone will ever give you is treat the process of migrating as a 'life experience' which relatively few people get. It won't improve your chances of material success, quality of life or happiness over the 'old home' & it probably won't regress them over the long term either.

Guest IanL

Top post Gags. Unfortunately it will fal on dears and blind eyes for most on here:no:

thanks for your post gags - very interesting to read. one downside of this forum i find is that it is for poms looking to move to oz so not many poms who have been in oz for years write on it - would be very interesting to hear from lots of poms who have been in oz long term.

Well I've been here 18yrs. Unfortunately not many people want to hear what I have to say, as they'd rather give me their 'expert' opinion of Oz from behind the pages of the Daily Fail.

I've been back loads of times, and lived in the UK for 3mths last year, loved every second, didn't see many changes at all (although I don't live in London). And now we are planning to return next year, can't wait :)

I wrote on this site a year stating my amazement at the naivety and rose coloured glasses abound on this site. Of course, I was shouted down, but funnily enough I see some of the names that were convinced they would never return now preparing to return.

People here need to wake up. It's no better here, just different. If its a difference you can live with then great, if it isn't, then return. simple,,innit.

Guest The Ryders

Interesting to note that the all the Poms who've had enough of Oz were/are either residing in Sydney or Melbourne.

Is there anyone out the in Qld who's had a gut full of Oz?

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hiya guys, Sherlock here:yes:

Gags: just wondering if you are aka Mr_Paul_Gallagher, who posted on 28th Jan this year 'why I moved back from Oz'? [thread86221][/thread].

There are very obvious similarities as Mr_Paul_Gallagher also has an Australian girlfriend, moved back to UK after 3 years in Melbourne etc etc etc. Then, this post was re-posted identically under the name Pabsontour.

If this is you: why oh why are you re-posting under different names? If you want to post your thoughts, just do so! You don't have to give yourself a new identity each time!:policeman:

Yours confusedly,

Rachel:skeptical:

Guest Rachel&Stu

Soz all,

Still trying to get the hang of this computer business. Trying to link the thread::arghh:

[thread]18253[/thread]

Hope that works.

Rachel x

An ok thread and everybody has there own thoughts on this.But nobody can tell me or you on what to do with your own life,you only have one chance at life and oh boy me and my oh are taking it and with our eyes wide open.:yes:

Guest IanL
Yep you are so right...I am lucky enough to have been and have loved it everytime, but thats me...Everyone is different..wouldnt the world be a dull place if we were all the same..I go with eyes wide open..And I know personally that it is what I want....

What isn't right for some, is fab for others...It will always be that way...I think it is great to have posts from people like yourself that have lived it for at least a year or more...We dont always have to agree, but I love to hear of peoples experiences...

Jo :)

No problem, you'll get the truth from me. However it will only be the truth as it applies to me and my situation. I'm in a good/bad mood today. Good because we just booked our tickets to go home for Xmas ( my last 18 or 19 Xmas' have been in Oz), and we're going business class:jiggy: I fly business for work but when it's my $$ I usually go economy, but we can't be bothered with economy this time so we've gone for comfort. But I'm in a bad mood because I swore the next time I leave these shores I won't return, but looks as though I'll have to come back at least once more.

Really looking fwd to Xmas in the UK though. We are using the next year or so to evaluate where to go, and will be looking honestly at the UK, so this site will be useful for me as well. We will 100% leave Australia though, for me it lacks culture and sophistication, however some people like it here (I did for 10yrs) but like the UK it's changed so much here I can't recognise the place I moved to. For me, if both countries are bad, then why not be at home?

Different degree of 'badness' I guess?

The poster that pointed out most people leave from Syd or Melb I would say is true on the East Coast. But take a look at the MBTTUK on BE and per capita I reckon there has to be more people leaving Perth.

I think that you also have to take into account that ok some people just do not take to the country but also if they have had a bad personal experience whilst there, divorce, death etc then it will also taint their view and would explain why they feel the need to go back to the Uk to start afresh.

This is not always the case but I expect it does happen.

Guest gary12

Hi Ian,

Good post, one which I can empathise with more than the original post.

I would be interested in specifically on your thoughts on some of the reasons we are going.

1. We will ease the financial burden we have here because of considerably lower house prices, coupled with comparable wages and cost of living with here.

2. Standard of education is better (state education!) and health service better.

3. Better career prospects for children.

4. Safer, friendlier society (outside of the large cities).

Item 1 I know to be true, but the other 3 are assumptions I have made on what I have read.

Gary

Guest hays
Interesting to note that the all the Poms who've had enough of Oz were/are either residing in Sydney or Melbourne.

Well pointed out, It does seem that way from this, and previous post's. Id also like to know if there there is anybody from Qld who feels the same.............

Guest Morven33

I want to know too!! I'm heading to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area and specifically going there to have a different lifestyle, near the sea with plenty of outdoor activities etc. etc. it maybe does depend on where people settle/quality of life they experience. I have researched and researched again and again where I want to go and have found a place that will cater to all mine and my families needs, Gags obviously didnt and just had a bad experience and chose the wrong place to live.

Guest KP Nuts

Has anyone noticed how this person has'nt replied to anything for 2days, maybe they are the same person who posted before under a different name as (sorry) some one else has said.....................

KP Nuts

Guest Morven33
Has anyone noticed how this person has'nt replied to anything for 2days, maybe they are the same person who posted before under a different name as (sorry) some one else has said.....................

KP Nuts

Call me a cynic(?):skeptical:but I have my own idea as to who it may be

Guest The Ryders
I want to know too!! I'm heading to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area and specifically going there to have a different lifestyle, near the sea with plenty of outdoor activities etc. etc. it maybe does depend on where people settle/quality of life they experience. I have researched and researched again and again where I want to go and have found a place that will cater to all mine and my families needs, Gags obviously didnt and just had a bad experience and chose the wrong place to live.

Don't forget, Gags went to Oz with his Australian girlfriend, there was no research involved..... and no mention of her coming back to the UK either, come to think of it...

Now the poor fella walks the Dales alone.... I guess he's tending his poor broken heart :-(

Get well soon Gags xx

I think it's important to hear what you you've got to say Ian, we can learn something from your experience(s) in Aus. I think the difference between your post and that of Gags, (although I did agree with some of what he said), is that you spoke of your experience as unique to you. gags post came across as "I've done it, it was crap so don't think you should go either" - Perhaps it shows the maturity of each of the authors?

Good luck with your move back to the UK (albeit a temporary one initially), I'll be really interested to know where you settle eventually - keep us posted

Ali

1.Being realistic, you will do essentially the same things as you do here: commute to work, work, commute to home, eat, watch TV, go out, sleep, repeat, repeat, weekend.

2. Having held several jobs in Oz, I worked with a vast number of different of local people, primarily in a similar age bracket (20-30) and of a similar background (relatively middle-class and mostly degree-educated). This pattern generally holds true.

3.Unless you live in London you are likely to spend longer on your commute in Australian cities. Many of my friends thought nothing of travelling an hour each way to work, in fact several even had longer journeys combining driving to their local train station, catching a train into the city and then tram to their office. Very concentrated CBDs and virtually unchecked suburban sprawl means that people often live huge distances from their place work.

4.Having been back in the UK for about 12 months, I have had a much outdoors lifestyle than in Oz. It may be warmer there, but you seem to spend your life in an air-conditioned cocoon.

5.Don’t get me started on Australian TV (non-stop American reality show imports littered with adverts). The music scene is awful. The food is strictly Greek/Italian or Viet/Thai. Nobody has heard of Tapas. Curries are almost impossible to find. And French food might as well not exist.

6.A lot of people cite their children as the prime reason for emigrating which I find quite strange. As if a bigger garden and a bit more sunshine is all kids need!

Did i think my friends and colleagues were any happier or more rounded individuals as a result of growing up in Australia? Certainly not. For most of the people I know in Australia, many have rarely been outside the state of Victoria.

7. geographic isolation and inward-focused media leaves them relatively uncultured, often quite narrow-minded and occassionally extremely bigotted when compared to people of similar socio-economic backgrounds in the UK.

8.There is massive problems of drug abuse (especially Crystal Meth and Heroin) and gambling is seen as socially acceptable, normal even. People who think that anti-social behaviour is purely a British problem are absolutely deluding themselves. My ‘neighbours’ in Melbourne used to use our stairwell as a urinal. Fights in pubs and on the street are commonplace, often much more violent than in the UK.

9.I used to go on holiday at least once a year either with my family or with school. The furthest kids go in Oz is on school camp to Maloooonlongatta or somewhere else completely irrelevant.

I wasn't going to add my bit, but I just can't help myself! Bet you all stop reading about.....NOW!

1.Of course! Surely no-one expects much different. It is just life after all. It's what you choose to do with the 'go out' bit of your time that counts.

2. Why did you change your job so often? Several jobs in three years..?

3. Whilst I don't doubt your experience, I would ask you not to assume all states are the same. SA is immense, the suburbs round Adelaide sprawling, and although I know lots of people who to travel up to an hour, I know lots more that don't. Anyway, although I would imagine most people coming over would rather not travel an hour +, I don't think this would be enough to put people off. After all work is one of the realities of life.

4. I'd guess that depends on the person, the weather and their choice.

5.Who cares about tv? Music..well seems ok to me, although some bands do not come to SA. Lots of local stuff though, and they like rock so I'm ok!

6. Now that is naive! Of you...as a parent I had to weigh up the loss of good museums, buildings etc against the possible gains. We feel that the gains have outweighed the losses.

7.It is true that the Australians seem pretty insular (No, I read The Times and miss it very much; The Age is no substitute.) and inward-focused. I'm getting used to it. Can't think of anything too positive on that one, but I do enjoy the feeling that the newspaper relates directly to our life in Adelaide.

8. Yes, I'm sure there is a drug problem, alcohol abuse, pokie-addiction, anti-social behaviour and fighting. I don't imagine it's the worse in the world and I don't believe (with the possible exception of gambling) that it's worse than the UK.

9. Nah, the trips aren't irrelevant, you just aren't seeing the potential. Families here (Adelaide) tend to go fishing, walking, camping etc more than families I knew in Tonbridge. There seem to be more weekends away and fewer formal holidays - probably 'cos it's cheaper!

I think the opinions you offer are valuable, but they are just your opinions. As for being educated...Education is a kind of continuing dialogue, and a dialogue assumes, in the nature of the case, different points of view. (Robert Hutchins)

Whatever.:)LC

Guest IanL
Hi Ian,

Good post, one which I can empathise with more than the original post.

I would be interested in specifically on your thoughts on some of the reasons we are going.

1. We will ease the financial burden we have here because of considerably lower house prices, coupled with comparable wages and cost of living with here.

2. Standard of education is better (state education!) and health service better.

Item 1 I know to be true, but the other 3 are assumptions I have made on what I have read.

Gary

OK, I’ve kind of posted various bits of my life here before. But just so you know where I’m coming from for future posts, I think it’s important to realise that usually there are two sides to one’s experience of, well anything really. The personal subjective, and the generic objective side.

My story

Never really ‘migrated’ here. Came on a WHV as a 22 yr old in 89.

Got married (to an Aussie), 2 kids.

In ’96 she packed up and left as life ‘wasn’t what she wanted’ and left me $20k in debt.

Struggled for the next couple of years on my own with no family, and trying to deal with the CSA (you wouldn’t wish that on anyone!) Anyway, debts paid, CSA paid always on time, life went on for a few years.

After years of hiring cars (she moved about 6hrs from Syd to be with her family), seeing the kids and still arguing with the ex, she moved further away.

2000 was probably the turning point for me. I’d had some big promotions and was travelling a lot for work. Collapsed in NZ with a suspected heart attack (turned out to be pancreaitis) 2 operations later (with no visitors) I was back in Sydney.

2001 I was cycle racing and running (as I was before) and getting into triathlons. However working day in day out at my blue chip company being surrounded by incredible personal wealth (or at least the illusion of) made me question was I was working so hard just to pay bills and living month to month.

Decided to go to Colombia for a while and teach English to people who could not afford to go to English Schools. I wasn’t paid for this but it gave me a good perspective on life, and I saw an incredibly beautiful culture, and an incredibly ugly one all it the same time.

2002 met the woman who is now my wife, she is Korean (been here 11yrs). I was all set to go to Colombia, but stayed here for her. Worked out to be the right thing to do, but I still wasn’t happy here. Also she could see how stressful it was for me to see my kids, ( I used to come back very ‘beaten up’ mentally) Because the kids were small when my first wife left, they don’t really know who I am, and my ex would not allow them to call me Dad, she used to tell them I was a friend from Sydney . Which always made me mad as apparently I wasn’t good enough to be called ‘Dad’ but was good enough to pay child support. Anyway it was really doing my head in, and after a lot of soul searching, I decided not to drive for 6hrs just to bang my head against a wall, as I was afraid for my health. I drew a line in the sand and concentrated on my ‘new life’. I know there a lot of mums here and you probably say ‘how could you’ but everyone’s situation is different. I do still of course pay child support.

My current wife and I worked very hard and saved a lot and now we are in a position to pretty much lay down a 60-70% deposit and any house we want in Sydney’s North(within reason of course).

We earn pretty good money (mine is very good) but we don’t get paid for turning up, we a lot of experience in our fields and work hard.

Last year we tried a move to the UK but while I loved it, my wife didn’t take to it very well, so we’re trying to work out all her concerns (and making good progress). Broke my heart to come back here, but I love her more than the UK ( Just,,lol).

Anway to answer your question Gary:

• We will ease the financial burden we have here because of considerably lower house prices, coupled with comparable wages and cost of living with here.

1 Wages are not comparable really, I find them lower here and the tax base is definitely higher. Plus many make the mistake of comparing Sydney to London when you really need to compare Sydney to Manchester due to population. Given Sydney’s lower pop, the infrastructure is woeful . House prices out of the city might be lower but you’ll be trading that for a pretty boring lifestyle IMO. (it’s good at first). I certainly wouldn’t say the cost of living is lower here, unless you count eating out and petrol.

2: can’t answer as my kids were too young for school and I don’t have any now. But on BE it seems better in the UK. Plus bear in mind that private schools get more of the funding that is supposedly allocated for ‘free’ state schools. So if you want your taxes to work, you will by default be putting your kids into private shool. Health service is worse than the UK, due to what you have to pay for here. You must pay to see the doctor (or wait 5hrs), country areas might be different. But private health is pretty much mandatory due to way they have introduced fines for those that don’t choose this ‘option’. Plus you still pay the Medicare levy. So like for like $ for pound the UK wins hands down. Purely on a which is better scenario, I think here is better.

3 Not sure about this. I’d say worse. Reason is that Aussies tend to be so insular with their ‘this is the best place on Earth’ mentality that they don’t feel the need to expand their horizons much. But I work for large blue chip corps, I travel a lot, and meet with some fairly senior people of other corps, and at this level, overseas work experience and an ability to be ‘International’ is very well regarded (I can speak some Spanish, French and Korean, and I keep very well abreast of European trends in my field). I’d say it’s easier for your kids to get a start here, but unless they are willing to leave and prove they can do it anywhere in the world, there will be a ‘glass ceiling’ (depending on the industry and vocation of course).

4 Probably., While I’ve never lived in regional areas I’ve spent a lot of time in them. With that level of safety comes an increased level of parochialness and as I’ve mentioned before a limited amount of recreational options.

Not sure what else to say. Keep em coming though (not spelled checked, I wrote this on a con call :SLEEP: )

Archived