Back from Oz

Guest Gags

Guest The Ryders

Ok, so you feel that the only real difference is the sunshine, well, here in sunny Plymouth we pretty much have it all. Good weather, sea on one side of us and Dartmoor on the other (I spend a lot of time mountain biking and fishing on the moors). We've got some great restaurants and bars, great local bands and a local football team on the up (unlike Leeds....)

However, we also have idiots who like to run riot through once pleasant residential areas ripping wing mirrors off cars and causing a general nuisance during the hours of darkness....because they're bored and it's 'the fault of society'. We have a wave of Eastern Europeans who now drive busses and taxis. Last weekend a Czech taxi driver killed 2 local motorcyclists because he was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Last year a schoolgirl was killed in Exeter when the Polish Bus driver drove for 2 miles on the wrong side of the road before crashing into a ditch.

Our local Police force are currently trying to get another Pole evicted from his country to face rape and attempted murder charges on an Exeter woman 18 months ago.

3 months ago 2 more Eastern Europeans were found dead in a city industrial estate after overdosing on heroin. The percentage of 'Eastern blockers' here now is probably only 3 - 5%, but it seems that the vast majority of serious crimes involve them now.....and we haven't even seen the Bulgarians and Romanians yet.

I can still remember the day that Australia sent out a warship to stop a boat load of immigrants from entering it's waters.....and it still gives me a warm feeling inside.

The government have excelled at making us pay twice for everything, for instance, when you next get car/bike/home insurance check the breakdown of costs. You'll see IPT @ 5% listed. What's IPT? It's Insurance premium tax, you pay that ON TOP OF VAT!!! so, overnight the government has helped itself to 5% of all insurance premiums......that must add up to Billions in the UK. Does anyone ever remember them announcing it? Thought not, and that's only one of the many 'stealth taxes' they've introduced.

It's easy to paint a grim picture of your environment if you only focus on the negatives, it's also easy to make any place sound like Utopia (although I think you've got your work cut out for you with Leeds)

I'm not naive, I know Australia isn't Utopia..... but I also know that England isn't either.

At the end of the day it's a case of 'each to their own' mate. Everyone I know who's gone to Oz (and I know loads scattered all over Australia) say they'd never EVER consider returning to the UK.....and that speaks volumes to me.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Taz01

I grew up in Oz and have lived in the UK for the last 7 years. I moved here by myself when I was 18, excited by the prospect of travelling to Europe, gaining life experience; in fact, doing all the things that growing up in rural Australia, were not available to me. After 7 years of working my backside off, (in a well paid job), I still rent, struggle to pay my bills and have only been to Europe once, 5 years ago. I find it impossible to save money and therefore travel, go to the theatre and experience all the wonderful things the UK and Europe has to offer.

On the other hand, my twin sister stayed in Oz; she earns less than me in equavalent dollars; she owns a four bedroom house, has a brand new car and a boat and last year spend 5 weeks travelling around Europe. She didn't save for this- her salary, paid fortnightly, was ample money to cover the expenses.

Australia really does not suit some people. It is down to what your expectations are; if you can afford to travel to Europe every month or so, that is great- if you can afford to buy a house here; even better- I don't know anyone my age who has been able to do this in the last 3 years. If you enjoy going to the local and having a few beers and watching your favourite footie team, then fantastic. You probably will enjoy living in the UK.

I've been told my expectations are too high. I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to afford a house and a new car and have money left over every month to travel and do all the things I want to do. The answer? I live in the UK and pay rent which equals 40% of my monthly pay. My bills and council tax cost another £200 a month and once I've taxed my car and paid for insurance, food, petrol etc I have about £50 left a week.

Every country has good points and bad points; every country has crime and drug problems. But Australia still has opportunities for the average person on the average wage. And comparatively it is safer, especially for kids. Its not for everyone, but I for one cannot wait to move back home.

Guest JoanneHattersley
I totally agree with Gags, we have been in Sydney for 7mths and can't see many plus points here.

In essence it's another big city with all the sh1t to go with it.

I am an Indian, born and bred in Pinner,West London. In the 30 years of living there, I have never been mugged, burgled, beatenup, been a victim of racist slur etc.

Come to Sydney and get called a coon.!!! I said p1ss off it's a BLACK MAN'S COUNTRY.

CHILL OUT EVERYONE!

Lifes too short to be bitching about this! Each to his own, each has their opinion!

Just dont get nasty in replies and everyone will stay happy!

For the record , been here since Feb `05 and luvin` it!!

Guest gilly

Gags does it ever occur to you that you may be rather narrow minded yourself. eg comment about "rednecked rural Queenslanders" People on this forum are generally supportive of each other and offer practical advice. I found your comment to Mel W outrageous, please don't insult peoples inteligence and judge them without knowiing them. Great for you to gad about the dales and hills but maybe your "rose tinted glasses" may soon slip once you have been back here a while. Gilly

Guest JoanneHattersley
Gags does it ever occur to you that you may be rather narrow minded yourself. eg comment about "rednecked rural Queenslanders" People on this forum are generally supportive of each other and offer practical advice. I found your comment to Mel W outrageous, please don't insult peoples inteligence and judge them without knowiing them. Great for you to gad about the dales and hills but maybe your "rose tinted glasses" may soon slip once you have been back here a while. Gilly

Well said Gilly!

I think these posts are good because it gives people a chance to sound off but call me cynical (yeh don't shout too loud) but this post is a bit too much like the 'pabsontour' post, ok the specifics are a bit different but the gist of it is the same.

Wendy

Guest JRaj
JRAJ

Now who's being racist?

I am stating fact. It is after all a Black Man's country. Did you know that?

Guest JRaj
Hi

All I can say to Gag and JRAJ is that you obviously have no kids are are under the age of 30 so you don't remember when times were good in the UK and we never wanted to leave, before Tony Blair started to let anyone in and engllish is now not the first language spoken in many schools! Before you started to give a load of wages back to government for everything, before goups of kids hung out on street corners in packs of 15+ and scared the life out of you cos they have nothing to do, before houses and cars got constantly broken into.

Don't knock things you don't know about, let people experience for themselves what Oz is like, if it's not for them, they can decide what to do themselves. You are looking from a difference perspective than a lot of people who post on this site so as my mum used to say if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

Jackie

Your very wrong. I obviously am 31, I have 2 kids and I am qualified accountant. This is a free for all forum and I am stating my experiences. Please accept the fact that the sun doesn't shine in Sydney all of the time.

Guest JRaj
CHILL OUT EVERYONE!

Lifes too short to be bitching about this! Each to his own, each has their opinion!

Just dont get nasty in replies and everyone will stay happy!

For the record , been here since Feb `05 and luvin` it!!

JoHatts, that's why we are heading to Brissie. I've heard it's a much better place than Sydney.

Guest JoanneHattersley
JoHatts, that's why we are heading to Brissie. I've heard it's a much better place than Sydney.

ALREADY IN BRISSIE AND LUVIN` IT:jiggy:

Guest Clare

Well isn't it a good job that we don't go saying the same about Britain? Is Britain not a white country?

Just stating facts!

Guest Clare

My last post was for JRaj's benefit readers!

Anyway am gonna log out this is too political for my liking!

Guest clayton gang
I hear what both of you are saying..But really..Black, white, even green dont matter to me and mine...It's our world...ENJOY IT!!!!..

Migrating to Austalia has to be one of the most testing things Paul and I have ever done..I just want a peaceful life, nothing more...Sure the sunshine is good but now I am 40 I cant be doing with the hustle and bustle of England...I have lived in the fast lane and its now time for our family to slow down and enjoy our life..whereever that may be...Its gonna be tough, I know that, I have reserached till I cant fit any more in..I am sure there are things we still all need to learn...Thats the adventure of it all isnt it...

PIO welcomes any form of discussion, We all want to hear about the good and the bad..

But we also want to dream a little too, its good to dream and hope for a better life..

Jo xx

Hi Jo

I agree with what you are saying .

Jenny:)

Guest The Ryders
I am stating fact. It is after all a Black Man's country. Did you know that?

JRaj, please don't think of me as being racist, I'm not, bit I think you'll find that Australia is NOT a 'Black man's country' as you so eloquently phrase it.

I assume you are referring to the Aboriginals? They are, in fact, not indigenous to Australia. They actually arrived there about 60,000 years ago by sea.

Also, Clare has a point, If you are prepared to refer to countries with regard to the colour of their indigenous inhabitants then UK is actually a 'White man's country' although I wouldn't dare tell any British Asians or Afro/Carribeans that...I'd probably get locked up!

Guest kdal

Every country has good points and bad points; every country has crime and drug problems. But Australia still has opportunities for the average person on the average wage. And comparatively it is safer, especially for kids. Its not for everyone, but I for one cannot wait to move back home.

What Taz01 has had to say is how I feel and I am hoping that your right Taz01 !

That there are 'opportunities for the average person', as here you have to earn some serious cash to have a decent lifestyle and yes the drinks and drugs are pretty much everywhere.

Wendy, I was thinking the same thing as you

'pabsontour' post

And I don't think he ever replied either!

Hi Gizmo, do you think you will come back to the U.k. ? Hope you don't mind me asking but what part of Australia do you live in?

Be happy everyone :wubclub:

Guest wackyjacky

well wot a thread ! dont think i wanna be reading any more of this , got my decluttering to do before we go to Perth... come on kids get the bags backed!

Guest gary12

you have to take with a pinch of salt somebody who pronounces themself young, cultured and ambitious.

generally people who use phrases like 'daily mail reading racist' are guardian reading tree huggers

Guest The "Biscuits"

Having spent 23 years in the Army, my wife spending 13 years in the Army we have seen most things. Some you would not want to see. We have planned to go to Oz for a long time. It does not matter what anyone says about anyone or anywhere. Life is about opportunities. If they are there you take them to better your life and that of your siblings. it is there future, let them live it by giving them the opportunity to experience life whatever it brings. If it is not what you expected then it is just another experience to add to your portfolio of life.

I'm sure that you wouldn't believe everything you read in a newspaper. You make your own mind up. That's what we are going to do!

Get out there and live the dream!:yes:

Well this post won't put me off going to Oz.

Sadly I feel that when I see posts like this, it puts serious doubts in the minds of people who are already feeling a bit wobbly on their move. In fact changing their minds to the extent of not moving at all.

Please remember that Oz is a different experience for everyone. What suits one person may not suit another. You can't be influenced by the negatives of one poster who didn't find what he was personally looking for.

Everyone has their own personal reasons for moving to Oz. The majority of us old enough and mature enough not to make this decision lightly, please don't insult us by implying otherwise.

Sadly I do read the Daily Mail, it happens to be a newspaper I enjoy, but don't insult me by implying I am rascist because of this. that fact couldn't be farther from the truth.

Before i sign off. I would be interested to know if you hated Australia that much, why it took you 3 years to realise this. Maybe you could have saved yourself a lot of misery and come back home to the UK sooner.

Guest london cabbie

Just been reading my post again and i really shouldn't knock england like i do,i guess i am just trying to justify my reasons for going,i really do love england but i just can't see any value in staying here.

So i'm sorry guys but it's just the way i see it.

Jamie

Guest Greg Shelley

I've just read this entire thread with interest, and I'm grateful that so many have taken the time to express their feelings. There is no right or wrong here, it's horses for courses. Gags' post has had a strong emotive effect because no one wants there dream shattered, especially when we need reassurance before such a big move. Oz has undoubtedly become a blue sky scenario for all of us wanting to emigrate, and Gags' post is a healthy reminder of how lucky we already are here in the UK when compared with many other countries. But just because things are ok here doesn't mean we all shouldn't try for more, and if we believe Oz holds the answers for us then so be it.

I have found something in almost every post of this thread that I can relate to; rising crime, crap employment prospects, unchecked immigration both legal and illegal, a society that has become too tolerant and rewards those that give the least, better prospects for our kids in Oz, better prospects for us. I also relate to Gags' appreciation of the UK, our richness of culture, the beauty of our countryside. There are good points and bad points in all countries. But at the end of the day the best reason for going to Oz is that if you don't you'll probably spend the rest of your lives wondering and probably regretting.

I live in a chocolate box cottage in Devon in what I consider to be the most beautiful place in the world. I get to go fishing whenever I want, the pubs in the village are great and everyone looks out for everyone else, the local school is fab, my wife has loads of mates and my kids are relatively safe. Which begs the question why the hell are we leaving?

Answer? Not really sure.

I lived in Melbourne 15 years ago and loved it. We've been back many times for hols and travelled all over. I know the realities of Oz and I know that my prospects there are no better than here. I'm 41 so my career is of little importance to me now. My kids are only toddlers, and I'd like them to have the chance of a decent future that I fear they may not have by the time they leave school here in the UK in 15 years time. Our 'powerful' economy is a fragile bubble, interest rates are already rising again, along with unemployment. Higher education is becoming too expensive and of debatable value, industry is non existent, agriculture has been systematically dismantled, and the rest of eastern Europe is moving here to an infrastructure that can barely cope now let-alone in 10 or 15 years time. I've seen these signs before, when I was a kid in the early 80's I spent a few years in and out of crap jobs in Maggie's Army. I don't want my kids to have that happen to them. Oz is the only solution I can offer to this threat. I lived in Europe (Belgium) for three years and matters are no better in the heart of the EU.

An English speaking predominantly Christian culture fits best for me (an Englishman) and for many of us emigrating to Oz. I make no apologies for feeling this way (I don't read the daily mail by the way, nor any other paper anymore – I prefer News 24).

My point is that what is right for one person may be down to timing more that anything else. Gags has obviously come 'home' at the right time in his life. I have no idea if what my family and I are doing is the right thing or not. Feel free to reply and talk me out of it if you think I'm nuts. I’d really appreciate your comments.

We have had our residency visas now for three years and aim to move to Melbourne by the end of next year. There's only the practicalities of the move to deal with now. As I sit here writing this I am truly scared about what I am going to do, and I have no answers for any of you I'm afraid. But I'm glad of this forum to share our thoughts because let's face it, what are the chances of running into anyone else in the same boat down the pub!

Guest Clare

Hi Greg Shelly!

Great post I agree with all you said,although the cottage sounds lovely! Are you selling it?

I think I like the sound of Devon,I might try it first!

Clare :idea:

Guest london cabbie

Greg nice post mate ,very well balanced and said alot of what some of us perhaps cant put into words.

Jamie

Archived