UK Lottery

noel2538

Hi Allbodies:wubclub:

Ive been in Oz for nearly 9months now...before I left the UK I set up a Direct Debit to play the UK Lottery...Saturday and Wednesday. Direct Debit is set up from UK bank account, so if I win its just credited back to my account.

However today when I logged into UK Lottery it came up saying they didnt think I was in the UK. I read the declaration and it states I cant play online games or receive texes if Im not a resident. But its says as long as its ok to play UK Lottery in the country you live in...thats ok.

Can somebody tell me if its ok for me to keep playing? My address profile is my mums...UK address.

Thanks Debbie

Guest Guest31881

I thought The UK lottery can only be played by residents of the UK, if you were lucky enough to win a sizeable sum you may find that they refuse to pay you if you cannot prove you live in UK.

The same applies to the Euro lottery,

Why not try the oz lottery:notworthy:

been digging on the internet, I now think that you are not allowed to play the UK lottery in Australia, because of local laws to protect their own lottery system. This would not allow UK lottery to pay out in Australia.

Guest The Pom Queen

As far as I am aware, you would not be able to claim if you won, which would be a nightmare situation, imagine winning the big jackot and then being told you cannot claim it. The only other way is to get your mum to do it for you OR sign up for the Australian one.

I looked on the UK Lottery webiste and because I was a UK resident when I registered and the Direct Debit mandate was set up and is from my UK bank account...thats offline and I can play...

Where can I find out about the rules here in Australia? I play the Australian Lottery too....I wanted to keep the UK one going as I have the same numbers since it started...knowing my luck if I stopped they'd come up...:twitcy:

thanks

Guest Guest31881
hmmmmmm...think Im going to cancel UK Lottery...I hate to win and then they decided not to pay me:eek:

thanks

Hi Noel,

you got me wondering with your question what the exact situation could be, I have just spent the last hour trawing the internet and still not much better off, but what I have found is this.

The UK lottery site now blocks countries where it cannot sell tickets On-Line, Australia is one of these countries because it does not allow on-line promotion of gaming.

I could not find anything that prohibits you buying by DD, providing you pay in £ and the bank has an address in UK for you.

I did find a story in a newspaper of a man who won £5000 whilst on Holiday in Spain, he contacted Camelot and mentioned that he was on holiday and Spain and the phone call would be expensive so he would keep it short. Camelot then told him that his ticket was void because he had brought it ON-LINE whilst in Spain, and Spanish law forbids this.

That was the reason they started blocking on-line access to countries that do not allow on-line betting or gaming.

The way I read the story was that if he had prepaid through a UK bank and that bank had a UK address for him, then he would have been able to keep the prize. It all seems to boil down to how you buy the Ticket and where you are. The key phrase that keeps coming up is Buying 0n Line. If you do not buy on line it appears to be perfectly legal.

There that is as clear as mud now. :notworthy:

Hi...thats what I concluded from UK Lottery website....cant logged into it my account atm...will check it later. When I was able to...Camelot say that I can buy via D/D when Im overseas...think thats just for a holiday though...and they reserve the right to cancel prize and ticket if I did win...but if I do win they pay it directly into my bank account, so how they'd know where I am?????

As long as I pay I think its unfair that just because I not a resident I cant play anymore...:sad:...all that money I put in too!!!

Not sure really what to do?

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I also play the UK lottery wednesdays and saturdays on a direct debit I set up when I was in the UK and I pay it from my UK barclays bank account which is registered to my UK address (my parents live there), like you I have been playing the same numbers and dont want to give them up!

But if Im wasting my money then clearly no point at all - if I cant claim the prize!

I know is very annoying.....I read the conditions of my direct debit again..off the website...it states:

Can I play by Direct Debit from overseas?

When playing National Lottery Games by Direct Debit, you need to maintain a UK or Isle of Man address for the entire duration of your Direct Debit, not just at the time of setting it up.

Please note that you must only set up the Account when you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man and must not buy additional tickets or change your regular numbers while you are in a country where the playing of an overseas lottery is not authorised. If you need any assistance in setting this up, please refer to our Direct Debit Information.

Well this applies to me...set it up when I lived in UK...my mums address is registered...not changed numbers or bought anymore...so I think that means Im ok?

I do have the same numbers on the Oz lottery and have won over $130.00 since Ive been here...only won £30.00 on UK one!!!!

Guest Guest31881

I do have the same numbers on the Oz lottery and have won over $130.00 since Ive been here...only won £30.00 on UK one!!!!

I am willing to bet you could be In the UK within 48 hours to collect a cheque if you won the jackpot:wink:.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikko

I play UK Lottery by Direct Debit set up when I was in UK. I'm in Sydney for only 3 months. If a big win came up I'd wait until I was back in UK to claim it (big prizes aren't paid automatically back to your account) and not say I'd been to Oz, just in case (those tricky Brits.....eh?). If big enough I'd fly back early.

BTW, I won £7000 for 4 hotpicks when in USA in March 2007 and phoned them up and told them where I was and they paid me by cheque when I got back, but maybe that was before USA forbade online gambling. (Didn't know there might have been a problem of course).

• 1 year later...
Guest dannybaxterskip
Hi Allbodies:wubclub:

Ive been in Oz for nearly 9months now...before I left the UK I set up a Direct Debit to play the UK Lottery...Saturday and Wednesday. Direct Debit is set up from UK bank account, so if I win its just credited back to my account.

However today when I logged into UK Lottery it came up saying they didnt think I was in the UK. I read the declaration and it states I cant play online games or receive texes if Im not a resident. But its says as long as its ok to play UK Lottery in the country you live in...thats ok.

Can somebody tell me if its ok for me to keep playing? My address profile is my mums...UK address.

Thanks Debbie

i also have played the U.K lotto whilst here in oz and i also got the same message when i was back in the U.K a few months ago seem it"s a standard mess however as stated by others who's to know as long as you use dd and have a U.K address it is only a flight away and whats to say you where not up the road in bonnie scotland on holiday i could be anywhere in the U.K as like most of us expats i have relatives all over U.K who will confirm i was there and a couple of pints and their happy too / apart from the fact that camelot do not seem to worried about removing funds from your dd account (how many of your freinds/family play on line in the U.K none i suspect )i personaly know of no one /so i hope you enjoy scotland when you get the big win and dont forget the pints for the guys

i also have played the U.K lotto whilst here in oz and i also got the same message when i was back in the U.K a few months ago seem it"s a standard mess however as stated by others who's to know as long as you use dd and have a U.K address it is only a flight away and whats to say you where not up the road in bonnie scotland on holiday i could be anywhere in the U.K as like most of us expats i have relatives all over U.K who will confirm i was there and a couple of pints and their happy too / apart from the fact that camelot do not seem to worried about removing funds from your dd account (how many of your freinds/family play on line in the U.K none i suspect )i personaly know of no one /so i hope you enjoy scotland when you get the big win and dont forget the pints for the guys

I think you are missing the point of the rules about the lottery :cute:

It states you must be resident in the UK to be eligible to play. So actually living within its borders at the time of purchasing a ticket, be it online or in store. Being resident overseas but playing through a UK bank account with a listed UK address (that is not you own actual physical address) will actually invalidate any win you might have.

Don't think for one second if its a big prize they won't verify where you are living and actually check into it before making payment. And if it came to light afterwards you had been living overseas at the time of the actual win, they would be entitled to claim the prize money back and possible fraudulent criminal charges could occur.

Living in Australia makes you eligible to play the Aus lottery. Living in the UK you can play the UK and Euromillions (again for Euromillions I'd think they are very careful as its played in so many countries they would of course verify any large claim to ensure it was within the rules).

Also the fact they have noted already you are probably not in the UK will flag up any potential future win that they will investigate fully before paying out a larger win. Recorded for posterity and may well see any large win invalid.

I don't get why people still play UK lottery when they've moved to Aus (or other ineligible places of residence for Euromillions). Play the Aus one, its still decent and as much chance winning that and actually being eligible as you have of winning the UK one and it being invalid and go to charity or back in the pot.

Hello,

I hope this helps.

Last month, we were lucky enough to win an amount of money on the lottery, that meant we could go to camelot or they send a rep here, as camelot is in watford, and that is where we live, we decided to go down there.

When talking to them, we told them we were moving to australia, and asked would we still be able to play the UK lottery ( we play by DD and are keeping our bank act here open) we were told no as we would not be residents, when claiming our prize we had to produce several documents including 2 utilitiy bills in our name from the last 3 months, passport and driving licence.

I hope this helps all.

you could always pay a DD into your parents account and then get them to DD lottery themselves!!!

Good Luck.

Hello,

I hope this helps.

Last month, we were lucky enough to win an amount of money on the lottery, that meant we could go to camelot or they send a rep here, as camelot is in watford, and that is where we live, we decided to go down there.

When talking to them, we told them we were moving to australia, and asked would we still be able to play the UK lottery ( we play by DD and are keeping our bank act here open) we were told no as we would not be residents, when claiming our prize we had to produce several documents including 2 utilitiy bills in our name from the last 3 months, passport and driving licence.

I hope this helps all.

you could always pay a DD into your parents account and then get them to DD lottery themselves!!!

Good Luck.

Thank you for posting this :) Its exactly as I thought it would be. Makes perfect sense. No way are they just going to hand over money because a person is holding a winning ticket. They'll check facts first.

The fact they are going to ask for more than a friends say so makes it practically impossible to cover the fact you are living overseas. They would check passport details, DL and other things and could easily see if things tally. In this digital world information is easily found. The average computer user possibly has no clue how much of a virtual trail they leave or the information that is gathered.

And yes, giving money to other people to play is a possible but you have to trust that the person playing your numbers would actually hand over the prize (and tbh, you can't just 'hand over' a large sum of cash without attracting attention so again I don't think its really worth it as chances are, the claim could again be invalidated and the money would be lost). If you had to argue the case in court you'd not have a leg to stand on trying to claim the cash as you were resident overseas anyways. If that makes sense :cute:

So yeah, I'll still go with UK lottery when in UK, Aus one when in Aus.

Good luck with your move to Aus and enjoy the win :)

Guest dannybaxterskip
I think you are missing the point of the rules about the lottery :cute:

It states you must be resident in the UK to be eligible to play. So actually living within its borders at the time of purchasing a ticket, be it online or in store. Being resident overseas but playing through a UK bank account with a listed UK address (that is not you own actual physical address) will actually invalidate any win you might have.

Don't think for one second if its a big prize they won't verify where you are living and actually check into it before making payment. And if it came to light afterwards you had been living overseas at the time of the actual win, they would be entitled to claim the prize money back and possible fraudulent criminal charges could occur.

Living in Australia makes you eligible to play the Aus lottery. Living in the UK you can play the UK and Euromillions (again for Euromillions I'd think they are very careful as its played in so many countries they would of course verify any large claim to ensure it was within the rules).

Also the fact they have noted already you are probably not in the UK will flag up any potential future win that they will investigate fully before paying out a larger win. Recorded for posterity and may well see any large win invalid.

I don't get why people still play UK lottery when they've moved to Aus (or other ineligible places of residence for Euromillions). Play the Aus one, its still decent and as much chance winning that and actually being eligible as you have of winning the UK one and it being invalid and go to charity or back in the pot.

HI snifter whislt you have a valid point i was in the U.K last year when i recived that message so i contacted camelot asking why i had recived this notice as i was in the U.K at the time and was told it is was sent to anyone playing lotto on line and that if one was in another country it was a possibility that it could be illegal to play according to that country so to check the local laws regarding this at no time was i told i cannot play however i was told the to be on the safe side i could purchase several future games whilst in the U.K before leaving to go to another country(i see little difference in that ) however as i say if camelot are happy to take your english money out of your english bank account regardless where you are they should also respect any wins you may have otherwise they should refund all moneys to all players who may or maynot be in the country since the conception of playing on line( i can not see them doing that) alternativly they need to make it clear in the rules and as i was told they cannot comment on the laws of other countries and that is the chance you take

however as i say if camelot are happy to take your english money out of your english bank account regardless where you are they should also respect any wins you may have otherwise they should refund all moneys to all players who may or maynot be in the country since the conception of playing on line

thing is: it doesn't matter whay you say. Camelot will point you at their legally binding terms and conditions, that will state if you live overseas you are not entitled to play. Would be a crying shame to have a big win and lose because you haven't followed the rules.

Guest dannybaxterskip

well i suppose the best thing would be to have a syndicate with a family member or a realy good freind and have a written aggrement between each other encluding if you dont pay and they pay your share your excluded from that weeks draw

Guest dannybaxterskip

Hi to everyone concerning camelot lottery in the U.K (google BBC holiday lottery rules not clear ) though this may not be a clear answer it does point out the problem, it appears that if you win but have purchased you ticket in certain countries it could be invalid though the fault appears to be camelots neglect to provide a list of theise countries where it is illegal there is no mention to any U.K laws that prevent or make it illegal to play whilst overseas in another country it appears to me that it is up to each individual to check if the country you are holidaying in has any restrictions regarding playing lotteries in another country I.E U.K to my way of seeing it if you should have a win be it big or small it is camelot that decide all of a sudden to up hold the laws of the country you are holidaying in but meanwhile they still remove funds from your account to play games seem to me it needs more clear listing of countries where you can or cannot play

well i suppose the best thing would be to have a syndicate with a family member or a realy good freind and have a written aggrement between each other encluding if you dont pay and they pay your share your excluded from that weeks draw

Umm, or just stop playing? And start playing the state lotto in Australia?

Archived